P&O to allow independent exploration in ports from 25th

MadUKScientist

Just got this email from P&O which is good news.

"I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.

I am pleased to advise that P&O Cruises has today announced that those guests travelling on our cruise holidays from 25 September will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure you always have the option to explore each destination.

Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.

I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon."

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

55 minutes ago, picsa said:

No they don’t - https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/test-type/green 

"Some providers may choose not to appear in this list. You can choose a different provider but you must check they meet minimum standards."

Ok so looks like I got the wording wrong, sorry was writing that from memory and I did not book our tests,  but what I had meant to is that it does have to be designated as a two day test.  Any old PCR test will not do, it has to have a reference number supplied as a two day test.  That was made clear on our instructions.

Edited by tring

On 9/10/2021 at 12:40 PM, MadUKScientist said:

Just got this email from P&O which is good news.

"I note your concerns around the Shore Excursions and not being able to go ashore independently.

I am pleased to advise that P&O Cruises has today announced that those guests travelling on our cruise holidays from 25 September will be able to go ashore independently but must adhere to the specific COVID-19 protocols in each destination. However, as restrictions in each destination are changeable, and some destinations may only allow cruise line organised experiences ashore, we highly recommend you do look to purchase P&O Cruises shore experiences prior to travel to ensure you always have the option to explore each destination.

Testing that may be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board.

I am sure you will agree this is fantastic news and we look forward to seeing you onboard soon."

Is it me or does this whole experience feel like walking through treacle. They also say that Antigen tests are available to purchase onboard for £18 each and PCR tests at £25. So if the ports you are going into require one of these tests then you have to pay for them whether you are on an excursion or going ashore and doing your own thing. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens nearer to each destination. So if we are travelling to 6 Spanish ports and 1 Portugese port will we only need one test for each country  or is the test only valid for 48 hours and therefore we may need to buy perhaps 4 tests each. Hey Ho better go with the flow.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

Is it me or does this whole experience feel like walking through treacle. They also say that Antigen tests are available to purchase onboard for £18 each and PCR tests at £25. So if the ports you are going into require one of these tests then you have to pay for them whether you are on an excursion or going ashore and doing your own thing. I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens nearer to each destination. So if we are travelling to 6 Spanish ports and 1 Portugese port will we only need one test for each country  or is the test only valid for 48 hours and therefore we may need to buy perhaps 4 tests each. Hey Ho better go with the flow.

We are due on a Spanish cruise next week and our first port is Cadiz.  We have been told by our cruise line that the pre-cruise LFT done at embarkation will be acceptable by Spain for entry, though I think there may be a form to fill in on the ship as well.  No mention of any subsequent tests whilst traveling to the other Spanish ports.  Hopefully that may also be the case for you, though would presumably be different if you are calling at Portugal on the way to Spain.  All our ports are in Spain, so likely a tad easier.

Edited by tring

5 minutes ago, tring said:

We are due on a Spanish cruise next week and our first port is Cadiz.  We have been told by our cruise line that the pre-cruise LFT done at embarkation will be acceptable by Spain for entry, though I think there may be a form to fill in on the ship as well.  No mention of any subsequent tests whilst traveling to the other Spanish ports.  Hopefully that may also be the case for you, though would presumably be different if you are calling at Portugal on the way to Spain.  All our ports are in Spain, so likely a tad easier.

Thats helpful, thanks for sharing, we are into Vigo first . If i get anymore updates i will post them.

7 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

Thats helpful, thanks for sharing, we are into Vigo first . If i get anymore updates i will post them.

Thanks a lot, I would appreciate that, we sail on 21st.  It seems Spain review their decision every Thursday, regards whether they will allow passengers to go ashore independently.  There is another Fred ship heading to Spain at present, due to arrive in Malaga on Wednesday.  Apparently they have been told they will be able to go ashore independently in Malaga, but will be updated after that as going ashore in the other Spanish ports depend on what is decided on Thursday.  I will to to find out what they are told later in the week.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I just posted this on another thread. You do not need a test to enter Spain.

https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/spain/entry-requirements

OK, but may possibly be different if arriving by ship, or perhaps a test makes a difference to Spanish ports allowing us to go ashore independently vs excursions only.  A couple of weeks ago some ports were allowing independent exploration and others not.   

Whatever the situation is though, I must admit I am more interested in whether we can go ashore independently at the ports, but all a matter of wait and see for the final decisions on that.

1 minute ago, tring said:

OK, but may possibly be different if arriving by ship, or perhaps a test makes a difference to Spanish ports allowing us to go ashore independently vs excursions only.  A couple of weeks ago some ports were allowing independent exploration and others not.   

Whatever the situation is though, I must admit I am more interested in whether we can go ashore independently at the ports, but all a matter of wait and see for the final decisions on that.

There is no need  for anyone to be tested when entering Spain by cruise ship, because you  can't get on a cruise ship without being double vaccinated. Children are a different matter, but I have no interest in their situation!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/holiday-types/cruises/cruise-news-whats-the-latest-from-the-industry

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, wowzz said:

There is no need  for anyone to be tested when entering Spain by cruise ship, because you  can't get on a cruise ship without being double vaccinated. Children are a different matter, but I have no interest in their situation!

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/travel/holiday-types/cruises/cruise-news-whats-the-latest-from-the-industry

Does that say specifically that cruise passengers would be able to go ashore independently though?  I have just seen a post elsewhere which says that passengers on a Celebrity ship which sails from Barcelona on the 10th October have just been told by Celebrity they will have to take ship's excursions if they wish to go ashore in any Spanish port and that no independent exploration would be allowed in Spain from that cruise.

There may even be different decisions for each cruise line, or it may depend on size of ship/no of pax on board.  What happens remains to be seen for us though next week and also for the Princess cruise in October as I see it. 

Edited by tring

Does anyone know if you have to pay for test before flying back from Barbados I read that like st kitts and other islands there is a $150 charge!!  Any help appreciated as we are due to sail on Transatlantic this year and flying back from Barbados to UK hopefully the day 2 should be obsolete by then.

Edited by gandalf1

12 hours ago, Technoman2 said:

Is it me or does this whole experience feel like walking through treacle. They also say that Antigen tests are available to purchase onboard for £18 each and PCR tests at £25. So if the ports you are going into require one of these tests then you have to pay for them whether you are on an excursion or going ashore and doing your own thing. 

Where do they state these costings, please? Could you publish that part, thank you.

1 hour ago, Megabear2 said:

Where do they state these costings, please? Could you publish that part, thank you.

Why not search P&O's website if you want confirmation.  I found that information fairly easily 2 or 3 days ago after seeing it reported on these threads.  Would not know now exactly were.  It said the same thing, but you would not believe me either presumably.

Edited by tring
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Megabear2 said:

This was sent as part of an email sent 15 days before departure i.e 4 days ago . Sorry cannot link to website.

We also organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board, at a cost of £18 per antigen test per person and £25 per PCR test per person. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if you are denied entry to a country because you do not meet its entry requirements.

2 minutes ago, Technoman2 said:

This was sent as part of an email sent 15 days before departure i.e 4 days ago . Sorry cannot link to website.

We also organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board, at a cost of £18 per antigen test per person and £25 per PCR test per person. Currently, the majority of ports we visit this year do not require entry testing. However all guests disembarking in the UK are currently required to take a re-entry antigen test. All requirements are subject to change. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board. P&O Cruises cannot accept responsibility if you are denied entry to a country because you do not meet its entry requirements.

Thank you very much. 

1 hour ago, Rebjon said:

Megabear2,  I think it was an entirely reasonable question to ask as it has been very difficult to find any useful or accurate information on the P&O website recently. I also wondered where the poster had got that information, not because I disbelieved them but because I have been asking P&O about return testing for several weeks and haven't had a straight answer. It appears these prices aren't on the website and that you only get to know them when you have booked.

I know this is from the Cunard website, but I suspect it will be exactly the same procedure for P&O…….

We also organise testing which will be required to disembark the ship in Southampton, as per UK government requirements, and testing that may also be required to go ashore in various destinations on your itinerary. These tests will be available to purchase on board (at a cost of £18/$25 per antigen test per person and £25/$35 per PCR test per person). Currently, the majority of ports we will be visiting this year do not require entry testing. During your holiday, destinations on your itinerary may have various documentation requirements. You are responsible for meeting the entry requirements of each destination but we will be happy to guide you through all testing and documentation needs on board.

Thank you.  My T/A has also sent me the Cunard information overnight. She has issued one proviso that it currently only applies on cruises until 31 December 2021.  When I asked what that may mean she said no one knows what will happen long term either here or in the individual countries the ships will call at.  She informed me that it has been indicated to her company that the protocols for Caribbean cruises, particularly will be looked at in early October.  She has kindly extended my payment date until 9 October so that at least I will be aware of the UK Government decisions expected on 1 October before I commit myself irreversibly.  I'm not sure there's much else that can be done now, it will be my decision as to what I am prepared as a cost and a cruise.