Carnival Corp Pre-BoardTesting

BlerkOne

From the website Return to Service FAQs. If you scroll to the bottom it looks like testing at the port is now a no go.

Where can I get a COVID-19 test?

In order to provide more testing options for our guests, Carnival is sharing these resources:

• Carnival Corporation has established an agreement with Quest Diagnostics to facilitate access to pre-cruise COVID-19 viral testing. Guests may schedule testing with Quest Diagnostics at more than 1,500 locations, including Quest Diagnostics patient service centers and select Walmart and other retail pharmacy locations throughout the U.S. Appointments are required and may be scheduled online via Quest Diagnostic's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window.. Results are typically available within 48 hours via email or mobile application but Quest advises that turnaround time can fluctuate with demand, supplies and other factors, and vary by region. As with any laboratory provider, pricing for COVID-19 testing services may vary. Guests may qualify for testing at no cost to them through their insurance or the government. We urge guests to check with their health plan or the laboratory provider to see if they are eligible before scheduling a test. Guests may visit Quest Diagnostic's website Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. for information.
  • Fully vaccinated guests may also consider using an Abbott BinaxNOW™ COVID-19 Ag Card Home Test Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. which includes a viral antigen home test and the services of an eMed Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. telemedicine professional who will supervise the administration of the home test. The test provider must provide guests with an official test result; no handwritten report. Results are provided in approximately 15 minutes and test kits are available to be shipped in 50 states. Tests can be purchased by accessing either of the links above.
  • Additionally, guests may also look into large pharmacy chains that have multiple locations to schedule a COVID PCR or antigen test near their home or embarkation port of their cruise. For example, CVS Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. and Walgreens Indicates external site which may or may not meet accessibility guidelines. Opens in a new window. have nationwide locations offering COVID-19 testing.

While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option. Nevertheless, we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, fabby50 said:

Not all Quests provide testing, ours doesn't.  I think they should have picked a more widely available partner, but not sure who that would be if you're looking at the whole US, not to mention other countries.

All the walmart's i checked use Quest.  I haven't traveled the whole country but I have seen walmart with pharmacies every were, small towns too.

Not what I really wanted to hear, I was looking forward to the convenience of being tested at the port. I just checked we have 5 quest locations in my city, at least that's a plus and they do in person testing. Also, I'm wondering where the link carnival is providing will connect you too?

Edited by mouche

I do not think it is just the logistics of the actual testing at the ports that is a problem.  I think the the passengers themselves are the real issue.  Basically each group of passengers would have to be isolated from all others until the test results were back.  If you don't do this, then if anyone tests positive, everyone around them is not potentially exposed.  Can you imagine the mess that would create?  You were fine until a process that Carnival is responsible for exposed you.  Not to mention that part of the idea is to keep people who test positive away from the port.  So I doubt we will ever see this option, unless they can somehow do a drive-thru for people that are driving to the port. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

I didn't read that, just lack of mention right?

From their update:

"While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option. Nevertheless, we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests."

8 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

There WAS.  I was going to go back and copy the part where they said that the logistics of it just didn't make testing at port feasible.  But now the article has changed.  Unless I'm just crazy and added a whole paragraph talking about that and that passengers are encouraged to use the emed test.  Someone who read it earlier come and tell me I'm not nuts!

In regards to the Walmart-Quest tests...

The Walmart-Quest in my area of the Florida Treasure Coast is only doing PCR testing.

I made an appointment last week when the requirement was three days out, then changed it up one day when the requirement was moved to two days.

The Quest site said tests are "Usually" back within 24 hours.

Now the website says 24-48 hours.

I come to find out that according to a Walmart Pharmacist, Quest only picks up the tests once a day around 4:30PM.

I moved my test to CVS for now.

Try to get a rapid test if at all possible.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

The Walmart-Quest in my area of the Florida Treasure Coast is only doing PCR testing.

I made an appointment last week when the requirement was three days out, then changed it up one day when the requirement was moved to two days.

I come to find out that according to a Walmart Pharmacist, Quest only picks up the tests once a day around 4:30PM.

I checked the Quest website and got the same result. PCR only. I'm not comfortable with the possibility of it taking 48 hours so I'll be looking into getting mine at CVS as well. 

31 minutes ago, IntrepidFromDC said:

Per Carnival's website...

While we had previously raised the possibility of more on-site testing at our terminals, the logistics of making this service widely available to a large number of guests does not make this a viable option. Nevertheless, we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests.

23 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

There WAS.  I was going to go back and copy the part where they said that the logistics of it just didn't make testing at port feasible.  But now the article has changed.  Unless I'm just crazy and added a whole paragraph talking about that and that passengers are encouraged to use the emed test.  Someone who read it earlier come and tell me I'm not nuts!

You are not nuts!!! 😁

31 minutes ago, rlindholm said:

My copy / paste above was directly from the carnival site (and matches the earlier post in this thread...).  I just checked it again and it is still on their site. (No longer bolded, just the next paragraph right where it was. )

10 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I think Carnival's approach has always been as a plan B.

From the comments here on the boards it seems a lot of people weren’t even going to try and get their own test, but just rely on waiting until they got to the port.

I think Carnival quickly saw this as the possibility of hundreds showing up to the port and needing testing, which would absolutely turn into a logistics nightmare.

Edited by GTO-Girl
  • Like 4

49 minutes ago, Fla Mike said:

Oh my goodness thank you!  When i pushed mine back 1 day it said 24 hours also.  I was able to schedule CVS across the street as back up just in case.  Now that you said they pick up once a day i will cancel Walmart...again THANK YOU 😃