Carnival Corp Pre-BoardTesting

BlerkOne

8 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

That "results usually within 48 hours" gives me the willys

Now it is 24 to 72 hours for PCR. Got that from the pharmacist at Walmart which does the PCR Quest. Go on line and see of one of these are near you for the rapid test covidclinic.org They charge $129.00 per test. My insurance supplement which is Humana does reimburse for any and all testing no matter how many.

3 minutes ago, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

Now it is 24 to 72 hours for PCR. Got that from the pharmacist at Walmart which does the PCR Quest. Go on line and see of one of these are near you for the rapid test covidclinic.org They charge $129.00 per test. My insurance supplement which is Humana does reimburse for any and all testing no matter how many.

A 72 hours results result return is useless if you need to be tested within 48 hours of your cruise

58 minutes ago, Elaine5715 said:

A 72 hours results result return is useless if you need to be tested within 48 hours of your cruise

That is sooo correct. That is why I kept looking for the rapid test that I could schedule when I needed it. Once I did fine covidclinic.org and it was only a few miles from me. I cancelled the Walmart Quest appointment. I did not want to rely on any home test kit either. That's me. Those that want to do the home test. Go for it! I hear that Royal actually sells them now. Carnival from what I hear accepts two different ones.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, BoozinCroozin said:

Basically is non-news. All that it really is is they are not going to try to get testing drop at the ports. Too many logistics and issues that will cause problems. Leave it to the customer and if they fail it is on them, not Carnival.

Agreed. This partnership means nothing. You can go the their partner, Quest, or you can go to non-partners, such as CVS and Walgreens, no difference. The line "we did want to provide these additional suggestions for our guests" indicates that what they are really saying don't forget to check out Quest as an option too, along with CVS and Walgreens.

Which is a worthwhile reminder but not much of a "partnership". It's not as if Quest is reserving some of their testing slots for Carnival customers or anything.

Anyone leaving from Port Canaveral or Tampa, Alliance Health offers 8 hour results in Orlando. They are open from  7am-9pm Mon-Sat. The price is $240. You can call and make an appointment, then show up. Done very quickly. I did not want the stress of not being able to get on the ship. 

This time we are trying the Binax test. We ordered through Optum store online. It includes the proctored testing. It took 2 days to be delivered, free shipping. You need to choose the option that you need it for a cruise.

12 hours ago, stellarose said:

so should someone plan for two rapid tests in case one is false positive?  

According to the Carnival Return to Service FAQs:

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

What happens if I have a positive COVID-19 test within 14 days of sailing?

Please do not go to the cruise terminal if you have any symptoms of, or have recently tested positive for, COVID-19. Call 1-800-314-9859 to cancel your cruise. You will receive a future cruise credit.

So according to that, you shouldn't cruise if you have a positive test even if you do get a subsequent negative test leading you to believe it was a false positive. Though, since Carnival would have no way of knowing about the positive test, it seems a dishonest person could still board using the second negative test. (Not that I'm encouraging such action, but I'll bet it happens)

Edited by Earthworm Jim
  • Haha 1

11 hours ago, DallasGuy75219 said:

So a completely useless announcement from Carnival. Backpedalling on the previous plan to offer mobile testing in port and "offering" an option that was already available to everyone.

Carnival could at least have allowed people to get tested at their own expense using the supplies Carnival already has if they could show they had gotten a test two days before but not gotten the results. But no, denied boarding and no refund or FCC.

Yes indeed.....the new announcement amounted to " GO find  Quest Diagnostics or other lab for your test...good bye"

• Like 2

10 hours ago, glrounds said:

Incidentally, what happens for those that fail the test ? . . . Just SOL or ? Monies refunded, cruise credit or what ?

You get a Future Cruise Credit.

"If you, your family members living with you in the same household or travelling companions assigned to the same stateroom cancel a cruise booking due to testing positive for COVID-19 within 14 days of embarkation, you and they are entitled to a FCC for the amount paid to Carnival."

https://www.carnival.com/Legal/covid-19-legal-notices/return-to-service-faqs

(then hit the third tab, COVID-19 Refund and Cancellation Policy)

Edited by Earthworm Jim

15 hours ago, stellarose said:

so should someone plan for two rapid tests incase one is false positive?  

I have ours lined up at my local Quest on my own, not through Carnival's link for 700 am, which is 51 1/2 hrs prior to my assumed 1030 am check in slot at embarkation.  It is a PCR test, which will cover us in case the Antigen test, which I will hopefully line up at a local CVS or Walgreens once appointment slots open for the afternoon of 10/21.

15 hours ago, stellarose said:

so should someone plan for two rapid tests incase one is false positive?  

Actually you may want to have two tests in case there is a problem with one (or more) of the tests themselves.  We purchased a 6 pack and thought we would be able to test 3 of us before our Mardi Gras cruise last week and for a December cruise on the Pride.  

You can't open them before having the proctor online to observe you opening.  My test kit was fine, my sister started her session and when she was suppose to do the 6 drops onto the test from a small vial, her vial was empty - oops.  The proctor told us that though uncommon there have been instances of items missing  from the kits.  Thankfully we had the extra and used one of them. 

I'd plan on having at least one or two extras just in case.  

• Like 1

Our area we are basically limited to the at home tests.  Especially if we want results before boarding a plane.  All PCR tests can take over 48 hours,  plus we are flying Thursday for a Saturday cruise. 

There is only 1 place within a 2 hour drive of our home that is doing rapid testing with no symptoms.  They only take day of appointments. 

It's stressful not having a solid back up plan.  I'm buying 6 tests for 4 of us. 

We're also pcr testing a couple times in the weeks before we leave for our own peace of mind.  

We're even thinking about doing the at home tests at 12:30 am on Thursday so we can hopefully sleep lol. I'm not sure if that's too early but it is technically on the day they day it's okay to test. 

I ordered the Binax test (3 pack) from Optum.. Says it has shipped..  I would like to know if the Walgreens ID now rapid test is also acceptable??.. I know I read it on here somewhere.. sorry if was already posted.. Thanks

On 9/10/2021 at 10:29 AM, BoozinCroozin said:

In other words, Quest has testing sites and it is your responsibility to get tested. Nothing really new here. Those facilities have already been around. However, if it said they were setup at the ports near the terminal, that is entirely different.

For the record, there are NO Quest related testing facilities within a 50 mile radius of the Port of New Orleans.  Those individuals who are cruising out of NOLA will need to find alternate ways to receive their pre-cruise COVID testing, especially if they are going to be in the NOLA area for a period of time prior to their respective cruise.  Because of Hurricane Ida and its aftermath on the NOLA/LA area, it may also be a good idea to check with the area CVS/Walgreens in the NOLA area to see if they are even offering any of the COVID tests approved by the cruise lines. 

3 hours ago, MardiGras10022021 said:

binax emed is the way to go. at home 150.00 for 6 tests  

Exactly. I bought mine early last week. I am already taking off work to go on the cruise. I cannot take time off to go get tested somewhere 2 days before. eMed is open 24/7/365. I can take the test at 3AM on Thursday, be done by 3:30AM, and off to work 2 hours later stress free for my Saturday cruise. Or, I could register for a spot, get an email or call 2 on Tuesday saying my spot was canceled. Them spend the rest of Tuesday and Wednesday trying to find a location, convince my manager, my daughter's school, and wife to take more time off to go get tested. All in the hopes that we do find a place that can get results back. 

Due to increased testing and lab facilities, they have stated the return time is now 48-72 hours. On top of normal testing, increases in testing due to fear, and about 25,000 people now that have to be tested weekly for work, turn-around times are going to be longer and supplies are going to become very constrained. I'll go with BinaxNow and sit in front of the computer for 15-minutes or so with no worry.

• Like 3

On 9/10/2021 at 3:06 PM, MrMarc said:

I do not think it is just the logistics of the actual testing at the ports that is a problem.  I think the the passengers themselves are the real issue.  Basically each group of passengers would have to be isolated from all others until the test results were back.  If you don't do this, then if anyone tests positive, everyone around them is not potentially exposed.  Can you imagine the mess that would create?  You were fine until a process that Carnival is responsible for exposed you.  Not to mention that part of the idea is to keep people who test positive away from the port.  So I doubt we will ever see this option, unless they can somehow do a drive-thru for people that are driving to the port. 

As much as that is a good point there are ways to make sure that you are not in contact with those that test positive for Covid.

You know all those things we've been told to do for almost 2 years 🙂

Wear a mask, stay 6 feet apart. Other cruiselines are doing testing and doing exactly that.

I would not be concerned being in a big space (aka cruise terminal), wearing a mask, and being socially distanced.

• Haha 1

Terrible situation...if the future of cruising is going to be...." You get a test, do the best you can"  with NO HELP AT ALL from the cruiselines...then it's time to look elsewhere for vacation alternatives.  I don't see the  concern for the " angst" of having people drive 100 miles, just hoping they can get a rapid test, and then rushing off to the airport.....Senseless,  at best. Come on Cruise Ship Companies...give us a hand here.

• Like 1

On 9/10/2021 at 9:32 PM, BlerkOne said:

. . .

Carnival likely has the supplies to test the less than 5% unvaxxed but has to make sure they have that. If they advertise anyone can get tested at the port the odds go up that they will run out. Carnival isn't responsible for a shortage of tests or the pandemic.

. . .

As well had them needing to have supplies for testing any Back-To-Back passengers, and those (like myself) who are on a Side-To-Side within a very short amount of days. 

Carnival did confirm I'd have my testing available on embarkation day for the next cruise(s), but couldn't tell me specifics of the when/where of that day.  I will be checking back with them as well as communicating with the onboard team of the first cruise. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, DGP1111 said:

As well had them needing to have supplies for testing any Back-To-Back passengers, and those (like myself) who are on a Side-To-Side within a very short amount of days. 

Carnival did confirm I'd have my testing available on embarkation day for the next cruise(s), but couldn't tell me specifics of the when/where of that day.  I will be checking back with them as well as communicating with the onboard team of the first cruise. 

Not only are they testing back to backs, they are also testing the crew every week (I heard 1/2 each week).  We skipped a week between sailings and sourced our own test before both. We did have to go through secondary screening since we had been out of the country in the first cruise but they only looked at our recent test (done within 48 hrs) and did not perform a test at the port. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Colorado Beach Bum said:

Not only are they testing back to backs, they are also testing the crew every week (I heard 1/2 each week).  We skipped a week between sailings and sourced our own test before both. We did have to go through secondary screening since we had been out of the country in the first cruise but they only looked at our recent test (done within 48 hrs) and did not perform a test at the port. 

Yes, NCL offers testing at the port, and NO masks....hmmmmm

• Like 1

On 9/11/2021 at 4:43 PM, DanBoy said:

I ordered the Binax test (3 pack) from Optum.. Says it has shipped..  I would like to know if the Walgreens ID now rapid test is also acceptable??.. I know I read it on here somewhere.. sorry if was already posted.. Thanks

Yes, we had the Walgreens ID Now rapid test for our 8/26 Magic cruise (had our results 30 minutes later).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, topaz123 said:

Yes, NCL offers testing at the port, and NO masks....hmmmmm

NCL only has 2 ships sailing from the US. CCL has 7-8, maybe more, and soon even more. No telling how frequently NCL tests their crew.

Also of note, is the Quest et all release came from Carnival Corp for various Carnival brands.

• Like 1