Buyer Beware on Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit

cruzin4us

If you are opting to purchase the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit for your upcoming cruise(s) please beware of a couple of things:

I have 3 cruises booked:  October 2021, April 2022 and November 2022.  I thought "Cool", I can use these for all 3 cruises....NOPE.    The company is very vague when it comes to telling you how long the tests are good for.  In their FAQ's, they have a letter from the FDA stating the kits have been approved for a 12 month shelf life from the date of manufacture.  WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU is the kits were manufactured in January 2021.  Meaning any cruise planned for after January 5, 2022 the kits won't work.

I purchased my 6 kits on Sept. 2nd, and the kits arrived a few days later.  Upon opening the kits I saw the expiration date was Oct. 5, 2021 so I called EMED and was told that all their kits were made in the first part of 2021 and all the kits are expiring January 5, 2022.  So, if you are planning a trip anytime after that date, the current supply of the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit won't be valid.  Of course if you are cruising before that date, then you are all good.

The 2nd thing:  They only allow you to put 3 names down to use the kits.  There are 4 of us cruising (not all are going every cruise).  So, I just put my name down thinking I could add the other people when we took the test.... That's a big fat NO.   So, don't assume you can buy 6 of the kits and use them willy nilly, or for whomever you want, whenever you want.   They were VERY unclear about this when you order.    Again, I called about this and was told that if I didn't sign everyone up when I purchased, then no one else could use them but me.

Let me add too:   I tried calling BEFORE I purchased the kits because I had questions but I was put on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up.   So, I'll take ownership on this part.

Just be informed before you buy.

Edited by cruzin4us
added info
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 13
  • Haha 1

@cruzin4us, were you able to return the unopened/unused test kits and get a refund?  Or are they really obtuse there as well.  Seems like bad sales practice.  I would think ordering a kit now that I would have an expiry about a year out.  Make one wonder when they are going to mfr more.  As the Fall marches on, people are going to expect to get test kits that last into January and February.

• Like 1

Send an email to the president of the company or the CEO stating your case, and ask for a refund or replacement kits with a later expiration date. I’ve had great success recently by emailing the top dog of a couple of companies, when I had an issue that customer service couldn’t or wouldn’t resolve to my satisfaction. Good luck. 

Just now, Crystabel said:

Send an email to the president of the company or the CEO stating your case, and ask for a refund or replacement kits with a later expiration date. I’ve had great success recently by emailing the top dog of a couple of companies, when I had an issue that customer service couldn’t or wouldn’t resolve to my satisfaction. Good luck. 

I will try that as well....However, the woman I spoke with told me they have only got the one test thus far, all have been manufactured in January 2021.  They do not have any new tests as of yesterday. 😞

• Thanks 1

Thanks for bringing that to everyones attention. 

I have been all thru the other test kit threads, so already knew about the Jan. 2022 Exp.

We have 2 cruises before the end of this year, so plan to buy them for that.

Will WAIT to purchase 2022 Exp. kits for cruises Next year, when the time comes.

This is defianatly one purchase I would only buy, if cruising THIS year.

☺️

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

I will try that as well....However, the woman I spoke with told me they have only got the one test thus far, all have been manufactured in January 2021.  They do not have any new tests as of yesterday. 😞

Thanks for posting.  Did they say when new ones would be made which would go into 2022 like March?

That’s a real bummer. I just checked the ones I ordered two weeks ago and they were manufactured in February 2021. Good for our cruise and Portugal in October but still hasn’t considered expirations. 
Up side is that I submitted the $150 invoice to Aetna who covered the whole thing as “out of network” and are mailing us a check. 

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Princess allows at home test kits?  Who supervises the testing?

It's supervision through video. You bring up a website or launch an app to have a person on the other side monitor the test.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, mellon1 said:

Thanks for posting.  Did they say when new ones would be made which would go into 2022 like March?

This is the email that was sent to me after my inquiry of exactly what you are asking:   Regarding your inquiry about the expiration date of the test kits, most of the test kit were manufactured during the first quarter of 2021, being said it is possible that expiration of test kit will be around October with the three (3) months extension that will be valid until January of 2022 and at the moment there is no newer batch of test kit available yet in the market.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

Princess allows at home test kits?  Who supervises the testing?

You download an app and then you basically do a ZOOM meeting with EMED.  They verify your identity (drivers license, passport, etc)., they watch you take the test and you must leave the camera on the test packet for 15 min and then they come back and verify either positive or negative.  They send you an email as well as a barcode that you can store on your phone.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, cruzin4us said:

This is the email that was sent to me after my inquiry of exactly what you are asking:   Regarding your inquiry about the expiration date of the test kits, most of the test kit were manufactured during the first quarter of 2021, being said it is possible that expiration of test kit will be around October with the three (3) months extension that will be valid until January of 2022 and at the moment there is no newer batch of test kit available yet in the market.

Thank you.  I guess you have to call and ask about expiration before you order.  

2 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

If you are opting to purchase the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit for your upcoming cruise(s) please beware of a couple of things:

I have 3 cruises booked:  October 2021, April 2022 and November 2022.  I thought "Cool", I can use these for all 3 cruises....NOPE.    The company is very vague when it comes to telling you how long the tests are good for.  In their FAQ's, they have a letter from the FDA stating the kits have been approved for a 12 month shelf life from the date of manufacture.  WHAT THEY DON'T TELL YOU is the kits were manufactured in January 2021.  Meaning any cruise planned for after January 5, 2022 the kits won't work.

I purchased my 6 kits on Sept. 2nd, and the kits arrived a few days later.  Upon opening the kits I saw the expiration date was Oct. 5, 2021 so I called EMED and was told that all their kits were made in the first part of 2021 and all the kits are expiring January 5, 2022.  So, if you are planning a trip anytime after that date, the current supply of the Abbott’s BinaxNOW™ Home Testing Kit won't be valid.  Of course if you are cruising before that date, then you are all good.

The 2nd thing:  They only allow you to put 3 names down to use the kits.  There are 4 of us cruising (not all are going every cruise).  So, I just put my name down thinking I could add the other people when we took the test.... That's a big fat NO.   So, don't assume you can buy 6 of the kits and use them willy nilly, or for whomever you want, whenever you want.   They were VERY unclear about this when you order.    Again, I called about this and was told that if I didn't sign everyone up when I purchased, then no one else could use them but me.

Let me add too:   I tried calling BEFORE I purchased the kits because I had questions but I was put on hold for 45 minutes so I hung up.   So, I'll take ownership on this part.

Just be informed before you buy.

13 hours ago, cruzin4us said:

You download an app and then you basically do a ZOOM meeting with EMED.  They verify your identity (drivers license, passport, etc)., they watch you take the test and you must leave the camera on the test packet for 15 min and then they come back and verify either positive or negative.  They send you an email as well as a barcode that you can store on your phone.

I may be referring back to this information if tests are still required in April.  Very helpful, thanks

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

So I’m confused.  I bought 4 tests online from Walmart.  They will be here on Wednesday.  There was no registration required when I ordered them.  These are the Abbot  BinaxNow home test kits.  Is there a different test kit?

Unless they are monitored by a medical proctor they will not pass muster for Princess

2 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

I realize Princess requires a monitored test, but does Abbott sell two different testing options?  I’m sure it would be the same test and procedure.  Does every BinaxNow test come with an option to be observed?

yes, there are 2 types of of BinaxNow test: one with supervision and one that is without it. the one with supervision from emed has name BinaxNOW COVID-19 Ag test; the second one is sold with name COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test at Home Kit, it has OTC letters on the box

1 hour ago, californiagirl said:

So I’m confused.  I bought 4 tests online from Walmart.  They will be here on Wednesday.  There was no registration required when I ordered them.  These are the Abbot  BinaxNow home test kits.  Is there a different test kit?

Watch one of the videos (links are here on a couple of different threads). They pretty much answer all your questions with complete how to & what not to do.

As others posted, the test that you need has Rx in the bottom left corner of the package.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, californiagirl said:

I realize Princess requires a monitored test, but does Abbott sell two different testing options?  I’m sure it would be the same test and procedure.  Does every BinaxNow test come with an option to be observed?

As mentioned there are 2 test kits, the home version that you buy over the counter and one that is the Rx version which is by prescription ( given by Emed in my case) and is monitored when you take it.  

When I ordered mine from Emed I had to fill out a form for who would be using the tests and answer a couple of questions for each person using a kit. Once the order was placed I got a message that said it was being reviewed ( presumably so Emed doctor could prescribe and mail).  Shortly after that message I got an email saying my order was approved and my tests were on the way via FedEx next day delivery.  

When I click on track order I am able to see the information related to my order and at the bottom downloadable prescriptions for each person I stated would be using the tests ( very helpful for those who may be seeking reimbursement from health insurance if yours allows). 

Edited by Shelly97060
Added info

23 minutes ago, Shelly97060 said:

As mentioned there are 2 test kits, the home version that you buy over the counter and one that is the Rx version which is by prescription ( given by Emed in my case) and is monitored when you take it.  

When I ordered mine from Emed I had to fill out a form for who would be using the tests and answer a couple of questions for each person using a kit. Once the order was placed I got a message that said it was being reviewed ( presumably so Emed doctor could prescribe and mail).  Shortly after that message I got an email saying my order was approved and my tests were on the way via FedEx next day delivery.  

When I click on track order I am able to see the information related to my order and at the bottom downloadable prescriptions for each person I stated would be using the tests ( very helpful for those who may be seeking reimbursement from health insurance if yours allows). 

I tried to edit my original post but was unable to...  to get to your reimbursement info and prescriptions on Emed you need to click on My Orders and then order details. 

5 minutes ago, californiagirl said:

Thank you so much for the info about the two tests.  Since I didn’t have to fill anything out I’m assuming the ones I ordered are the OTC.  

Yes I agree ( wrong tests).  I took a look at the the kits you can order from Walmart and they are the over the counter version. When they arrive they will say OTC on the lower left front  corner of the box.  These tests aren’t monitored so they wont be accepted.  Maybe you can return them or cancel the order of not already shipped?