New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

5 hours ago, L and M UK said:

This is helpful - thanks. Pedantic I know but it seems to have introduced a further timeframe - 72hrs before “departure” - rather than embarkation (there could be 9hrs difference - just a typo I think)?

I wonder if the rep is suggesting that the “or” bit will / is being updated on the website?!?

I think the reason for the difference (embarkation time and ship departure time) is that the Antigen test is not as reliable as the PCR, so they state within 48 hours of embarkation for the Antigen test as it needs to be a lot more time specific.

3 minutes ago, 8420PR said:

I've used the Italian red cross testing at train stations (including Genoa) 3 times in the last 6 months.  You can just turn up, get your details registered, take the test and 20 minutes later you have a certificate.  It was quick, easy and free.

https://cri.it/tamponi-rapidi-gratuiti/

Is this service allowed to be used for travel purposes by foreigners? Or is this the Italian national testing system?

10 hours ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

Is this service allowed to be used for travel purposes by foreigners? Or is this the Italian national testing system?

Anyone can use it - it tends to be open from 7.30 - 2 every day and there have been reports of long queues at times in some cities, but we observed the one outside Venice Santa Lucia Station several times last week and there was never a queue.

I hope no one minds, but I've tried to collate some of the basic details of some of us who are boarding soon into one spot along with what test we took or intend to take just for a quick summary.   I only put the few that I could spot for the next 3 weeks, because who knows what rule changes may occur by that point.  Sorry if I got any of the details wrong, but again I was just hoping for a quick summary.

I'm boarding next Friday, and at this point feeling moderately confident that I'll get on with just an antigen test, but I'll be hoping for an update from heathstockton4 on Wednesday if they decide to try antigen instead of PCR.

----------

Huntingdon1701 - UK - Tue Oct 5th - Splendida (Barcelona)
- Had both Antigen and PCR tests done prior to arrival at port, first attempted to board with just negative antigen to see if it would work, however after 'a flurry of consternation and the summoning of senior officers' gave up the antigen route and produced the negative PCR result (54 hours old) and was allowed to board.

------
Tom1022 - Tue 12th - Splendida (Malaga) 
- Has booked PCR test for Sunday morning

------
heathstockton4 - UK - Wed Oct 13th - Grandiosa (Civitavecchia)
- still considering which test to take

------
doconner - UK passport and resident (though booked through US agent) - Fri Oct 15th - Seaside (Civitavecchia)
- intending to take an antigen test on Wednesday (40 hours prior to boarding) to suffice for both flight into Italy and hopefully boarding ship on Friday morning 10am

------
MamaDG - UK - Sun Oct 17th - Virtuosa (Barcelona)

------
Beamafar - IE - Fri Oct 22nd

------
L and M UK - UK - Mon Oct 25th 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, doconner said:

I hope no one minds, but I've tried to collate some of the basic details of some of us who are boarding soon into one spot along with what test we took or intend to take just for a quick summary.   I only put the few that I could spot for the next 3 weeks, because who knows what rule changes may occur by that point.  Sorry if I got any of the details wrong, but again I was just hoping for a quick summary.

I'm boarding next Friday, and at this point feeling moderately confident that I'll get on with just an antigen test, but I'll be hoping for an update from heathstockton4 on Wednesday if they decide to try antigen instead of PCR.

----------

Huntingdon1701 - UK - Tue Oct 5th - Splendida (Barcelona)
- Had both Antigen and PCR tests done prior to arrival at port, first attempted to board with just negative antigen to see if it would work, however after 'a flurry of consternation and the summoning of senior officers' gave up the antigen route and produced the negative PCR result (54 hours old) and was allowed to board.

------
Tom1022 - Tue 12th - Splendida (Malaga) 
- Has booked PCR test for Sunday morning

------
heathstockton4 - UK - Wed Oct 13th - Grandiosa (Civitavecchia)
- still considering which test to take

------
doconner - UK passport and resident (though booked through US agent) - Fri Oct 15th - Seaside (Civitavecchia)
- intending to take an antigen test on Wednesday (40 hours prior to boarding) to suffice for both flight into Italy and hopefully boarding ship on Friday morning 10am

------
MamaDG - UK - Sun Oct 17th - Virtuosa (Barcelona)

------
Beamafar - IE - Fri Oct 22nd

------
L and M UK - UK - Mon Oct 25th 

We are set on an Antigen now, had a further email from MSC today confirming that the requirements are PCR within 72 hours of ship departure (not boarding time) or the Antigen taken within 48 hours of embarkation. This is for UK and Ireland passengers and i have printed and saved copies of these emails from MSC head office

It basically means that the website is correct, as it should be of course.

We fly to Rome on Tuesday, will have our Antigen done 3pm Monday (result emailed within an hour) and that is good for arrival in Italy and boarding Grandiosa on Wednesday at our allocated time of 12.30pm.

Will hopefully be able to update this post on Wednesday afternoon whilst sipping a cocktail on MSC Grandiosa 🤞

• Like 2

1 minute ago, heathstockton4 said:

We are set on an Antigen now, had a further email from MSC today confirming that the requirements are PCR within 72 hours of ship departure (not boarding time) or the Antigen taken within 48 hours of embarkation. This is for UK and Ireland passengers and i have printed and saved copies of these emails from MSC head office

It basically means that the website is correct, as it should be of course.

The site says the PCR must be done within 48 hours of embarkation.  This is what caused me to cancel the PCR test I’d booked as I was afraid it wouldn’t fall within the 48 hours.  It was well within the original 72 hour window.  

As a related question... Anyone any preferred supplier of tests which the Italian border authorities will accept for arrivals from UK? Preferably home tests!

We'll have been in the UK within 48hrs of arriving in Italy so they require a pre-departure test.

Just to add to the confusion with reference to the UK website. Does  

COVID 19: MEASURES TO EMBARK FOR NON SCHENGEN COUNTRIES

mean for travel to non Schengen countries? Or does it mean for passengers who live in non Schengen countries?  
The wording is very confusing! 

16 minutes ago, FEDERICOGRUMP said:

Just to add to the confusion with reference to the UK website. Does  

COVID 19: MEASURES TO EMBARK FOR NON SCHENGEN COUNTRIES

mean for travel to non Schengen countries? Or does it mean for passengers who live in non Schengen countries?  
The wording is very confusing! 

It means for passengers from non-Schengen countries. 

4 hours ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

As a related question... Anyone any preferred supplier of tests which the Italian border authorities will accept for arrivals from UK? Preferably home tests!

We'll have been in the UK within 48hrs of arriving in Italy so they require a pre-departure test.

https://rapidtraveltest.co.uk/

£28 for an Antigen, done at home and result and certificate issued in 60mins

• Thanks 1

I've just read through all the posts on the testing topic and it's so confusing. I have also read what's on the msc uk site too still confused 😕 I am on the Magnifica end of Nov 7 nights Southampton back to Southampton and my agent said i just needed to be double vaccinated which I am and that they will do test at port which they did when I went on the Virtuosa in July and also on board. However just seen this on mscs website (apologies if this has been mentioned and I'm repeating) 

For all sailings in the upcoming months, starting from 27th November 2021 till March 31st 2022, please note that all Guests will need to follow all of these requirements to be allowed on board: 

All Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative RT-PCR test taken within 72 hours before embarkation 

All Guests (12 years old and over) have to be fully vaccinated (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, with an approved Covid-19 vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson)

It changes quicker than I can say msc and tests!

I think I'm going to just cover all areas and do a pcr with certificate and Antigen test with certificate, a quick NHS swab test I can do at home produce my app with my vaccinations and then I'm covered if they change their minds 2days before I go! 

So frustrating.

• Like 2

Thank you so much to everyone who has already posted on this forum, it's been so helpful.

I've also received the confusing several emails culminating in the one saying 48 hours before we can do antigen or PCR tests. Now I'm trying myself in knots trying to work out what test we are best to take. We fly early on Friday morning and board the Grandiosa next Saturday in Barcelona.

We already bought Randox PCR tests originally planning to complete these pre-departure from home 72 hours ahead. We could complete these the following day at 48 hours but I don't know if the result will be back in time and this feels too risky, so I think we will use these tests for when we return for the day 2 PCR test. 

So now we are thinking of getting antigen tests as the results are quick. We can attend an appointment for antigen tests on Thursday afternoon (45 mins drive away, and I'll be post nightshifts and it'll be when I should be packing 😆) or we can order 2 postal antigen kits and hope they arrive in time and just do those from home on Thurs afternoon which would be much easier. 

However, the email states:

"The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result."

Which makes me wonder if home tests are ok as I don't know what centre performing the analysis would be if I've done the test at home? Have other people had no problems with home completed antigen tests, or the PCR test completed at home and posted to the provider for analysis? 

Thank you for your help and of course I will update with what we decide to do for the benefit of others reading. 

I used rapidtravel home test to get into Italy. The certificate had all the required details but did note it was provided remotely. There is a video call option for a few pounds extra that would let a medical professional confirm the test was done right, which should suffice.

Or again, you could do it when flying in at the airport test centre which they would definitely accept. 

At this point, I feel they change the rules so much that it's worth doing the gold plated option just for peace of mind. 

1 hour ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I used rapidtravel home test to get into Italy. The certificate had all the required details but did note it was provided remotely. There is a video call option for a few pounds extra that would let a medical professional confirm the test was done right, which should suffice.

Or again, you could do it when flying in at the airport test centre which they would definitely accept. 

At this point, I feel they change the rules so much that it's worth doing the gold plated option just for peace of mind. 

I agree with your perspective that it's probably best to not leave any room for doubt, I would hate to lose the holiday because we ordered the wrong test. Do you consider the gold plated option to be an in-person PCR test? 

We’ve ‘booked’ Collinson unsupervised antigen tests which we’ll take with us and complete on the Sunday (in our hotel) 2 days before we embark @ 10am on the Tuesday (26th Oct). We’ve used before (on return to the UK) and they’re easy to use and the certificates contain all the required info. We’re also using these as our fit to fly (to Italy) tests and we’ve ordered a spare just in case! They’re £23 (using code ejh2021). 
Let’s hope there are no changes in the next 2 weeks. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

We’ve ‘booked’ Collinson unsupervised antigen tests which we’ll take with us and complete on the Sunday (in our hotel) 2 days before we embark @ 10am on the Tuesday (26th Oct). We’ve used before (on return to the UK) and they’re easy to use and the certificates contain all the required info. We’re also using these as our fit to fly (to Italy) tests and we’ve ordered a spare just in case! They’re £23 (using code ejh2021). 
Let’s hope there are no changes in the next 2 weeks. 

Thanks for the code! Just to check, when you used them before did their certs have this info? "The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result."

15 hours ago, acecase2021 said:

Now I'm trying myself in knots trying to work out what test we are best to take. We fly early on Friday morning and board the Grandiosa next Saturday in Barcelona.

As a backup you can get a test in Barcelona airport (terminal 1) when you arrive:

https://eurofins-megalab.com/en/eurofins-megalab-is-carrying-out-testing-for-covid-in-12-spanish-airports/

Book an appointment in advance, but you can select to pay when you take the test.  I think the timing is flexible, as when we did it they were more interested in if we had an appointment for that day than the time of the appointment.

I found Spain a bit more challenging to get a rapid covid antigen test done - it was always possible but needed to be planned in advance (compared to Germany, Dubai or Italy where there were many places to get a test and no appointment needed).

1 hour ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

Thanks for the code! Just to check, when you used them before did their certs have this info? "The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result."

Yep - and the time of the test and the time it was certified by the medical doctor (at Collinson’s test centre - albeit remotely). 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, acecase2021 said:

I agree with your perspective that it's probably best to not leave any room for doubt, I would hate to lose the holiday because we ordered the wrong test. Do you consider the gold plated option to be an in-person PCR test? 

I'd say in-person or on-screen antigen test, given the new requirements. I'd avoid a simple at home test without the video call - just in case MSC prove difficult over that.

Some cruise lines are rejecting home tests that aren't overseen by an independent person (via video call). MSC haven't said it's an issue for them, but haven't said otherwise either. 

3 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I'd say in-person or on-screen antigen test, given the new requirements. I'd avoid a simple at home test without the video call - just in case MSC prove difficult over that.

Some cruise lines are rejecting home tests that aren't overseen by an independent person (via video call). MSC haven't said it's an issue for them, but haven't said otherwise either. 

Hmmm having just ordered 9 such tests (ie @ home tests) I’d be disappointed if MSC proved difficult. I think an antigen test with certificate meets their requirements as stated and thus to turn us away on that basis would be harsh. 😬🤔😬

We have decided to use the PCR tests we bought from Randox as if MSC change their minds and go back to needing a PCR test then this will be very hard to obtain at short notice, whereas a last minute antigen test if all else fails would be a possibility.

It appears that if we dropbox to Randox the day before we fly to Barcelona we should have the results by 23:59 the following day which is the day before we embark. Previous reports from Reddit users said their results were published late at 01:30am, 03:30am and in one case at 12:30pm, but all of these results would still be in time for our embarkation in Barcelona, though admittedly if there was no result by the time we woke up on embarkation day I think we would try for an early morning antigen test.

I'm hoping that the PCR testing should be quieter now and the timeframes in line with the Randox target of 23:59 on the day they receive a dropboxed sample, considering that fewer tests are required now compared with the more restrictive travel a couple of months ago. The reports on Reddit were all from 3 months ago when travel was only just starting and PCR tests were required for all. 

Does anyone know when we receive the results would we need to print them or are MSC happy to see the copy on our phone screen? 

8 hours ago, acecase2021 said:

We have decided to use the PCR tests we bought from Randox as if MSC change their minds and go back to needing a PCR test then this will be very hard to obtain at short notice, whereas a last minute antigen test if all else fails would be a possibility.

It appears that if we dropbox to Randox the day before we fly to Barcelona we should have the results by 23:59 the following day which is the day before we embark. Previous reports from Reddit users said their results were published late at 01:30am, 03:30am and in one case at 12:30pm, but all of these results would still be in time for our embarkation in Barcelona, though admittedly if there was no result by the time we woke up on embarkation day I think we would try for an early morning antigen test.

I'm hoping that the PCR testing should be quieter now and the timeframes in line with the Randox target of 23:59 on the day they receive a dropboxed sample, considering that fewer tests are required now compared with the more restrictive travel a couple of months ago. The reports on Reddit were all from 3 months ago when travel was only just starting and PCR tests were required for all. 

Does anyone know when we receive the results would we need to print them or are MSC happy to see the copy on our phone screen? 

From MSC ie website, I assume UK is the same:

"The original test results certificate or vaccination certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French or Spanish. The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result."