New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

It appears that MSC has changed its policy (again!) in regards to tests, according to the UK site.  It’s now stating that either a PCR OR an antigen test, within 48 hours, is the latest requirement. 

88BE53FA-A768-4528-8C95-4DDD492F5B8A.thumb.png.193005c4af955b2b88003b10548f4bdb.png

The Ireland site is still indicating that a PCR test is required within 72 hours. 

866B911A-A185-4DB5-AB22-DC70E9659EF5.thumb.png.90e289faf09604acf1218baeb8d56ca4.png

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

It appears that MSC has changed its policy (again!) in regards to tests, according to the UK site.  It’s now stating that either a PCR OR an antigen test, within 48 hours, is the latest requirement. 

88BE53FA-A768-4528-8C95-4DDD492F5B8A.thumb.png.193005c4af955b2b88003b10548f4bdb.png

The Ireland site is still indicating that a PCR test is required within 72 hours. 

866B911A-A185-4DB5-AB22-DC70E9659EF5.thumb.png.90e289faf09604acf1218baeb8d56ca4.png

While this is a big positive (pardon the pun) for UK and IE travellers.. what's the point in doing a rapid test 48hrs before boarding when you have to do another test immediately before boarding anyway! 

18 hours ago, heathstockton4 said:

It appears the MSC UK Website has been updated again today and no longer a requirement for have a PCR Test to join any Med cruises between now and March 2022, the only requirement is Covid-19 Insurance

Does everyone else read this the same?

Also, to fly to Italy do we still need a PSC Test if travelling from the UK. IF we do the above doesn't really make any difference i suppose

You need an antigen test within 48 hours. Can be done at home for about £28.

1 minute ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

While this is a big positive (pardon the pun) for UK and IE travellers.. what's the point in doing a rapid test 48hrs before boarding when you have to do another test immediately before boarding anyway! 

I just wish they’d decide on a policy and stick to it.  We didn’t need to have any tests prior to our NCL cruise from Barcelona last month.  They did say that they would not assist in any way at the port if you tested positive at embarkation unless you’d had a negative PCR test within the 72 hours previously. 

Hopefully MSC will update the Ireland site as it’s still indicating that a PCR test is required within 72 hours.  We’re not travelling til Friday fortnight but I was hoping to book an appointment for the test soon.  I’d planned on getting it done on the Wednesday but that might not be within the new 48 hour window, depending on what time of the day it’s administered. 

1 hour ago, L and M UK said:

Has anyone checked out this new requirement / change in requirements with MSC? I’ve not got confidence in their website and it seems contradictory to the v clear e-mail to all UK passengers of just 2 weeks ago. All good fun!

Boarding tomorrow and have had a PCR test at 54 hours, and a lateral flow at 24 hrs (mainly because I had time to kill at the airport, to be honest).

Will let you know if they accept the lateral flow.

Edited by Huntingdon1701

Just now, heathstockton4 said:

image.thumb.png.8f7a4c7089413fac8a67873da2b35950.png

copied off the UK Website just now, clearly now states that an Antigen or PCR is required and must be taken within 48 hours of boarding.

We fly to Rome next Tuesday and board Grandiosa on Wednesday, will be taking a home Antigen test on Monday which complies with both Italian Gov and MSC requirements.

It will be interesting to see how huntingdon1701 gets on but I’ve just spoken with MSC and they have confirmed that there is no change to the requirements as set out within the standard e-mail per post #16 (ie PCR within 72hrs required) and that the website is wrong and is in the process of being update. All a little confusing and unsettling with 20 days to go. 

• Like 1

Totally agree!   We’re on in 17 days and are trying to plan for the required tests, which is practically impossible, not knowing which test is actually required.  The Ireland site is still indicating PCR only and within 72 hours.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, L and M UK said:

It will be interesting to see how huntingdon1701 gets on but I’ve just spoken with MSC and they have confirmed that there is no change to the requirements as set out within the standard e-mail per post #16 (ie PCR within 72hrs required) and that the website is wrong and is in the process of being update. All a little confusing and unsettling with 20 days to go. 

This is absolutely infuriating.  How are people to know that an older email takes precedent over the website laying out requirements that were updated more recently.

On the US website they have posted an update on Oct 1st which lays out information for all counties:

https://www.msccruisesusa.com/news/winter-health-safety-protocol

That says for Mediterranean cruises passengers from Schengan (which a footnote puts the UK into for some reason) that antigen or PCR are both acceptable, but does limit it to 48 hours.

Infuriating indeed. The uk website says the same as the US website but Ireland’s doesn’t (yet?). There’s every chance that if I ring MSC again I’d get a different answer - round and round we go. 
As I say, it will be interesting to see how Huntingdon1701 gets on (and great that he’s got all the bases covered - but we really shouldn’t be in a position where we’re second guessing what’s required!!)

• Like 1

Lateral flow didn't look like it was going to work. I showed them the updated website and lateral flow result, and it caused a flurry of consternation and the summoning of senior Officers. I gave them five minutes and decided I'd rather be on board, so handed over the PCR test. That was accepted instantly. 

It's somewhat chaotic here. Far less polished than boarding the Virtuosa in Southampton, or my usual Barcelona experience, to be honest. 

• Thanks 2

Not the first report regarding embarkation disorganisation in Barcelona recently.  Can’t understand why they can’t learn how to get their act together at this stage.  NCL were very organised in the same port a month ago. 

3 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Lateral flow didn't look like it was going to work. I showed them the updated website and lateral flow result, and it caused a flurry of consternation and the summoning of senior Officers. I gave them five minutes and decided I'd rather be on board, so handed over the PCR test. That was accepted instantly. 

It's somewhat chaotic here. Far less polished than boarding the Virtuosa in Southampton, or my usual Barcelona experience, to be honest. 

Yet more proof that the MSC Left hand has no idea whatsoever what the MSC Right hand is doing.

The Senior Managers need a rocket up their backsides.

Edited by sidari
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

What ship are you if don't mind me asking?

I called MSC today having booked and paid for Antigen Test as per the UK website, the guy on the phone basically admitted someone has made a mess of the website and it is incorrect information, a PCR Test is the only one accepted. Unbelievable that such a vital piece of information is wrong and still they haven't corrected it last time i looked

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

Thanks for trying that! So are they happy enough to accept PCR tests taken up to 72hrs prior to embarkation? Or did they want it done 48hr before?

13 hours ago, heathstockton4 said:

What ship are you if don't mind me asking?

I called MSC today having booked and paid for Antigen Test as per the UK website, the guy on the phone basically admitted someone has made a mess of the website and it is incorrect information, a PCR Test is the only one accepted. Unbelievable that such a vital piece of information is wrong and still they haven't corrected it last time i looked

I'm on the Splendida - 12 day cruise via the Canaries. I think it's the longest cruise a ship has done so far. Interestingly, there is less on offer than there was on the Virtuosa in June - no fruit in the rooms, for instance. And the theatre set up is just bizarre. 

That's really bad about the website - but I had the exact same issue when travelling on Azamara Quest in August. While some have worked flat out on the restart, some appear to have become lazy and careless. 

10 minutes ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

Thanks for trying that! So are they happy enough to accept PCR tests taken up to 72hrs prior to embarkation? Or did they want it done 48hr before?

They were fine with mine, which was taken about 54 hours before embarkation. I assume that means they're working to the 72 hours - but they did compare with embarkation time, so make sure you factor that in rather than just count days. 

• Like 1