New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

It's a personal choice, but I found paying for the PCR test worth it simply for the peace of mind. It's about £50 extra to ensure you can enjoy a cruise that you've spent thousands on. 

MSC should have been able to give you that confidence, but can you can give it to yourself. And then start looking forward to a great cruise.

I also used Randox for a previous cruise and found them very good. Will probably use them for my day 2 test, if it's not been downgraded to lateral flow by then (I'm much more relaxed about testing for flying back 😂).

Edit: I also avoid Ryanair unless the only option, but have to say my Greek flight with them felt far more Covid-secure than recent British Airways flights. 

Edited by Huntingdon1701
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

have you booked Antigen or PCR?

you mention 48 hours but isn't that if Antigen or PCR (as per website), if it is a mandatory PCR then think that can be within 72 hours?

I’ve just copped that it’s now PCR OR antigen (my head is fried at this stage 🙄) so I’ve cancelled the booking altogether as I had booked a PCR test.  An antigen test is €40 pp cheaper.  I’m going to wait til tomorrow to see what our flight times are before I make any other arrangements. 

6 minutes ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

It's a personal choice, but I found paying for the PCR test worth it simply for the peace of mind. It's about £50 extra to ensure you can enjoy a cruise that you've spent thousands on. 

MSC should have been able to give you that confidence, but can you can give it to yourself. And then start looking forward to a great cruise.

I also used Randox for a previous cruise and found them very good. Will probably use them for my day 2 test, if it's not been downgraded to lateral flow by then (I'm much more relaxed about testing for flying back 😂).

Edit: I also avoid Ryanair unless the only option, but have to say my Greek flight with them felt far more Covid-secure than recent British Airways flights. 

That’s reassuring to know, thanks. 

You’ve given me food for thought around which test to choose.   Can MSC be trusted not to change the requirements yet again before we travel?!!!

• Like 1

Still think MSC need to clarify what is required for their UK and Ireland customers on Med cruises as their website is not stating the same as TA's are, i even called MSC myself a couple of days ago and the rep didn't really clarify either, so it is either

PCR Test within 72 Hours (as per TA advice)

or

Antigen or PCR Test within 48 Hours (as per website)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, heathstockton4 said:

Still think MSC need to clarify what is required for their UK and Ireland customers on Med cruises as their website is not stating the same as TA's are, i even called MSC myself a couple of days ago and the rep didn't really clarify either, so it is either

PCR Test within 72 Hours (as per TA advice)

or

Antigen or PCR Test within 48 Hours (as per website)

The rep I was speaking to was keeping up a correspondence by email with a supervisor while I was on.  All reps have received an email informing them that the website has now been updated to indicate the current requirements, ie, 48 hours.  The supervisor confirmed this to the rep.  Take that however you wish. 😁

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

The rep I was speaking to was keeping up a correspondence by email with a supervisor while I was on.  All reps have received an email informing them that the website has now been updated to indicate the current requirements, ie, 48 hours.  The supervisor confirmed this to the rep.  Take that however you wish. 😁

If it is Antigen within 48 Hours that is a lot better, the Antigen are a lot cheaper (£29) and can also be done at home by yourself?

4 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

If it is Antigen within 48 Hours that is a lot better, the Antigen are a lot cheaper (£29) and can also be done at home by yourself?

True - it’s much cheaper. Would MSC accept results from a home kit I wonder?

The place where I’d booked the PCR test (for €69) is doing the antigen test for €29 and would supply a cert for travel. Their slots are filling up fast for the day 2 days prior to embarkation.  I really don’t want to have to travel to Dublin to get the test done the day beforehand as we have to leave home at 2am that night for our flight.  I like to keep that day clear to rest. 

3 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

Agreed - key word is “if”. I’m going to call MSC shortly

If get chance let us know what MSC say today.

We board Grandiosa next Wednesday, already have our Antigen tests ready to be done at home on Monday but if they are now saying PCR only it is a total change of plan and more money

Just now, Beamafar said:

True - it’s much cheaper. Would MSC accept results from a home kit I wonder?

The place where I’d booked the PCR test (for €69) is doing the antigen test for €29 and would supply a cert for travel. Their slots are filling up fast for the day 2 days prior to embarkation.  I really don’t want to have to travel to Dublin to get the test done the day beforehand as we have to leave home at 2am that night for our flight.  I like to keep that day clear to rest. 

Yes, the Antigen Home Tests are acceptable.

We fly to Italy and they accept them, you still get an official certificate when it's done and my daughter did one last week, works perfectly and all for £29 and no need to leave the house.

Fingers crossed

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

Yes, the Antigen Home Tests are acceptable.

We fly to Italy and they accept them, you still get an official certificate when it's done and my daughter did one last week, works perfectly and all for £29 and no need to leave the house.

Fingers crossed

just wanted to clarify when i said "Yes, the Antigen Tests are acceptable" and can be done at home

i meant they are an acceptable fit to fly method of testing accepted by airlines and governments if their rules allow them

what is not 100% clear yet is if MSC are accepting them for their UK and Ireland passengers

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

If get chance let us know what MSC say today.

We board Grandiosa next Wednesday, already have our Antigen tests ready to be done at home on Monday but if they are now saying PCR only it is a total change of plan and more money

Just spoken with MSC and the reps response was exactly as post #155 - antigen or PCR within 48 hrs. The rep admitted that things have evolved over the last few days but that they have been advised in the last day or two that the website is correct and they should advise passengers accordingly. He was unsure if a further email - superseding the Sept email - will be issued. He was pretty convincing tbh (and good humoured about the confusion over the last few days). I’m going to cancel my PCR tests n go with the antigen versions (as we can’t organise PCRs with the new 48 hrs timeframe). Sorted - I hope!!

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

Just spoken with MSC and the reps response was exactly as post #155 - antigen or PCR within 48 hrs. The rep admitted that things have evolved over the last few days but that they have been advised in the last day or two that the website is correct and they should advise passengers accordingly. He was unsure if a further email - superseding the Sept email - will be issued. He was pretty convincing tbh (and good humoured about the confusion over the last few days). I’m going to cancel my PCR tests n go with the antigen versions (as we can’t organise PCRs with the new 48 hrs timeframe). Sorted - I hope!!

thanks for the update and that sounds promising

lets hope none of us have any issues boarding with Antigen Certificates, we board next Wednesday ✌️

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

ITS so frustrating , I just emailed Msc Germany ( long story ) whom i have a cruise booked on Seaview for the end of the month and they replied 

As you are coming from a non Schengen country you have to fulfill the following requirements in order to be allowed on board:

- being fully vaccinated

- a PCR Test that is not older than 72h at the time of embarkation

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

That’s reassuring to know, thanks. 

You’ve given me food for thought around which test to choose.   Can MSC be trusted not to change the requirements yet again before we travel?!!!

Bea

After reading Huntingdon and your own recent post, my 1st thought was...Bea, no just go PCR as anything could change again...for what it's worth, with MSC style clarity in full flow, that's what we would do! 😉

20 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

Pretty convincing, and good humoured, is all very well but said rep is not having to turn up at the pier and plead his case that 'I spoke to a rep a few days ago and he/she said.....'.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Bea

After reading Huntingdon and your own recent post, my 1st thought was...Bea, no just go PCR as anything could change again...for what it's worth, with MSC style clarity in full flow, that's what we would do! 😉

Was thinking the same thing, G.  I’d already resigned myself to the cost for PCR.  Now it’s just deciding what time slot to book (if there are any still open lol). 

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, hamrag said:

Pretty convincing, and good humoured, is all very well but said rep is not having to turn up at the pier and plead his case that 'I spoke to a rep a few days ago and he/she said.....'.

100% agree but ultimately at some point we’ve got to make a decision and book our tests. I do agree that a PCR within 48hrs covers all bases but……We land at Naples airport on a Sat lunchtime and board at 10am on a Tuesday - this was perfect for a 72hr PCR at the Airport but I don’t fancy travelling back to the airport on the Sunday to do the test (within the new 48 hr window). I’m going to sleep on it (or not as the case maybe!).

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

thanks for the update and that sounds promising

lets hope none of us have any issues boarding with Antigen Certificates, we board next Wednesday ✌️

Can you let us all know how you get on pls? Thanks in advance 

9 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

100% agree but ultimately at some point we’ve got to make a decision and book our tests. I do agree that a PCR within 48hrs covers all bases but……We land at Naples airport on a Sat lunchtime and board at 10am on a Tuesday - this was perfect for a 72hr PCR at the Airport but I don’t fancy travelling back to the airport on the Sunday to do the test (within the new 48 hr window). I’m going to sleep on it (or not as the case maybe!).

Also assuming the testing site is open on Sundays... We've also got this issue with Naples but we board on the Monday so is looking like a Saturday afternoon test may be all we can manage!

I have just had an email from a Senior Contact Agent at MSC Head Office (copy below minus the persons name)

I am now confident an Antigen Test taken within 48 hours will be okay for us next Wednesday, we will take the test on Monday and i will also have a printed copy of this email on me

"Thank you for your email.

Please see information below which Is been also updated on our website for your below query.

RT-PCR test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure (for all Guests over 2 years old)
or 
ONLY For UK & IRL an Antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48h hours before embarkation

I remain at your disposal should you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,
Senior Contact Centre Agent

MSC Cruises Ltd
5 Roundwood Avenue
Stockley Park
Uxbridge
UB11 1AF
United Kingdom"
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, heathstockton4 said:

I have just had an email from a Senior Contact Agent at MSC Head Office (copy below minus the persons name)

I am now confident an Antigen Test taken within 48 hours will be okay for us next Wednesday, we will take the test on Monday and i will also have a printed copy of this email on me

"Thank you for your email.

Please see information below which Is been also updated on our website for your below query.

RT-PCR test within 72 hours prior to the ship’s departure (for all Guests over 2 years old)
or 
ONLY For UK & IRL an Antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48h hours before embarkation

I remain at your disposal should you have any further queries.

Kind Regards,
Senior Contact Centre Agent

MSC Cruises Ltd
5 Roundwood Avenue
Stockley Park
Uxbridge
UB11 1AF
United Kingdom"

This is helpful - thanks. Pedantic I know but it seems to have introduced a further timeframe - 72hrs before “departure” - rather than embarkation (there could be 9hrs difference - just a typo I think)?

I wonder if the rep is suggesting that the “or” bit will / is being updated on the website?!?

The good thing about antigen tests is the quick results they give. If necessary, you'd have time to get one done on the day of sailing. It would be medically pointless, but meet the criteria. 

Seems like the best outcome has been decided on, although there's no way it should have been that painful or complicated. 

Hope you can all relax and look forward to your cruises!

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

Also assuming the testing site is open on Sundays... We've also got this issue with Naples but we board on the Monday so is looking like a Saturday afternoon test may be all we can manage!

Airport sites are open everyday fortunately. I got mine on a Sunday, and the same company does Naples.

Now they've confirmed antigen is acceptable though, your best bet is to buy a cheap UK kit and fly it over with you for doing in your hotel room. 

Edited by Huntingdon1701
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1