New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

4 hours ago, Huntingdon1701 said:

I'm on the Splendida - 12 day cruise via the Canaries. I think it's the longest cruise a ship has done so far. Interestingly, there is less on offer than there was on the Virtuosa in June - no fruit in the rooms, for instance. And the theatre set up is just bizarre. 

That's really bad about the website - but I had the exact same issue when travelling on Azamara Quest in August. While some have worked flat out on the restart, some appear to have become lazy and careless. 

How's the Splendida been so far? I'm due to Board on Tuesday @ Malaga

Also, I'm guessing they are making you book tours for all ports?

Got my PCR test booked for Sunday Morning as its the only time I can get the test before flying over to Malaga, good thing I didn't get the test refunded for a Lateral Flow.

Edited by tom1022

51 minutes ago, MamaDG said:

Hi All,

We are due to board the Virtuosa on 17th Oct in Barcelona and I received an email from MSC last night advising the requirement is a PCR test within 72 hours of boarding. Screenshot below. 😊

2CE75FB2-A84A-45EF-834C-8544C41570F6.png

Really helpful thanks MamaDG - everything seems to be suggesting a “within 72hrs” PCR test is required (except their website - which still hasn’t been updated - which is v v poor)

I’ve booked a PCR test for 2 days before our embarkation date in 2 weeks’ time as I was afraid I might not get a slot if I leave it closer to the time.

The Ireland site hasn’t been changed so it looks like someone messed up with the UK one. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beamafar said:

I’ve booked a PCR test for 2 days before our embarkation date in 2 weeks’ time as I was afraid I might not get a slot if I leave it closer to the time.

The Ireland site hasn’t been changed so it looks like someone messed up with the UK one. 

You have got me thinking about booking ours early!! Are you using the airport test facility, or would you not recommend such....we appear to have same at both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports?

Do you know if PCR tests can be had on the ship, presumably at a cost, for returning home again?

25 minutes ago, hamrag said:

You have got me thinking about booking ours early!! Are you using the airport test facility, or would you not recommend such....we appear to have same at both Glasgow and Edinburgh airports?

Do you know if PCR tests can be had on the ship, presumably at a cost, for returning home again?

Someone posted the info about a place in Dublin that does the PCR for €69 per test (Boots Chemist is charging €139 here!) so I’ve booked it there.  I wouldn’t be the type to leave it til the last minute (such as getting it done at the airport).

According to the website, you can have both PCR and antigen tests done onboard.  It doesn’t indicate the charge, but there’s bound to be one, unless, in the case of an antigen test, it’s required at the port of disembarkation.  We had one done on NCL, without charge, last month because Barcelona required it. 

ECBF9846-BFE9-4070-BADD-12589B4DB868.thumb.jpeg.00926469ed2376e4838044e25e4770cd.jpeg

Edited by Beamafar
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Someone posted the info about a place in Dublin that does the PCR for €69 per test (Boots Chemist is charging €139 here!) so I’ve booked it there.  I wouldn’t be the type to leave it til the last minute (such as getting it done at the airport).

According to the website, you can have both PCR and antigen tests done onboard.  It doesn’t indicate the charge, but there’s bound to be one, unless, in the case of an antigen test, it’s required at the port of disembarkation.  We had one done on NCL, without charge, last month because Barcelona required it. 

ECBF9846-BFE9-4070-BADD-12589B4DB868.thumb.jpeg.00926469ed2376e4838044e25e4770cd.jpeg

Randox laboratories are doing PCR tests for 59 euro , they have several places in dublin

7 minutes ago, corballypaudie said:

Randox laboratories are doing PCR tests for 59 euro , they have several places in dublin

The randox ie website mentions Rapid (3hr) PCR tests in their FAQ section, do you know how much they are? Can't find any booking or pricing info on their site.

3 hours ago, tom1022 said:

How's the Splendida been so far? I'm due to Board on Tuesday @ Malaga

Also, I'm guessing they are making you book tours for all ports?

Got my PCR test booked for Sunday Morning as its the only time I can get the test before flying over to Malaga, good thing I didn't get the test refunded for a Lateral Flow.

It's a bit variable. Some really good staff, and some very bad ones. I had a much better experience on the Virtuosa in June. I suspect the senior staff here are using Covid as an excuse to row back on service, given weird differences in what Virtuosa could do but Splendida apparently can't. 

However, the ship is beautiful and it's not hard to find enjoyable experiences that suit you. You can expect to enjoy yourself. 

Yes, ship excursions are mandatory for going ashore. Choice is a bit limited but the prices are good. 

54 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

....I wouldn’t be the type to leave it til the last minute (such as getting it done at the airport).

What we would do, if using the airport facility, is use the drive through the day prior to our flight. We are 25 minutes from Glasgow airport and 40 from Edinburgh so that'd be the sensible thing to do for us at least.

Many thanks for the cut & paste confirming on board testing, the cost is less important than the facility to do it.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

The randox ie website mentions Rapid (3hr) PCR tests in their FAQ section, do you know how much they are? Can't find any booking or pricing info on their site.

its 89 euro  but its also says on the site coming to dublin airport soon.,,,so may nor be available yet.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, hamrag said:

What we would do, if using the airport facility, is use the drive through the day prior to our flight. We are 25 minutes from Glasgow airport and 40 from Edinburgh so that'd be the sensible thing to do for us at least.

Many thanks for the cut & paste confirming on board testing, the cost is less important than the facility to do it.

We’re an hour and a half from Dublin;  we have to go up a couple of days beforehand so it will suit us to get the PCR test in the particular facility I’ve booked on that day. 

3 minutes ago, corballypaudie said:

its 89 euro  but its also says on the site coming to dublin airport soon.,,,so may nor be available yet.

Meant to say thanks for telling me about Randox.

I should have done some homework before booking the test, but the whole uncertainty around this cruise has my head done in.  Got a call from MSC almost 2 weeks ago telling me our airline had been changed from Aer Lingus to Ryanair.  Our booking is still showing the AL flights. 🙄

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, corballypaudie said:

The one I’ve booked gives results in 4 hours, so I take it it’s a rapid PCR test. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Got a call from MSC almost 2 weeks ago telling me our airline had been changed from Aer Lingus to Ryanair....

Eeek!

We have a dilemma, inasmuch the only direct flight from Scotland to Barcelona in November is with Ryanair....which, on it's own, is bad enough....and it leaves at 6.30am. 😦

These days, we'd far rather have a direct flight than a stop in Amsterdam (KLM) or London.....decisions, decisions! Either way, we would be flying out at least a day pre-cruise.

1 minute ago, hamrag said:

Eeek!

We have a dilemma, inasmuch the only direct flight from Scotland to Barcelona in November is with Ryanair....which, on it's own, is bad enough....and it leaves at 6.30am. 😦

We’d never choose to fly Ryanair and we’re gutted to hear about the change. 

Our flights to European ports are always very early in the morning.  We go to bed around 6pm the evening before and get up at 1.30am on embarkation day.  We have gone out the evening before on occasion but found it’s not worth the extra cost to overnight in a hotel just to get a few hours extra sleep. 

• Thanks 1

On 10/3/2021 at 8:41 AM, Beamafar said:

It appears that MSC has changed its policy (again!) in regards to tests, according to the UK site.  It’s now stating that either a PCR OR an antigen test, within 48 hours, is the latest requirement. 

88BE53FA-A768-4528-8C95-4DDD492F5B8A.thumb.png.193005c4af955b2b88003b10548f4bdb.png

The Ireland site is still indicating that a PCR test is required within 72 hours. 

866B911A-A185-4DB5-AB22-DC70E9659EF5.thumb.png.90e289faf09604acf1218baeb8d56ca4.png

It looks like the Ireland site has now been updated and……… it’s now the same as the UK site - that we thought was erroneous! I despair. Another call to MSC! 😢

"MSC Cruises tweaks shore excursion policy for winter cruises | Travel Weekly" https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/msc-cruises-tweaks-shore-excursion-policy-for-winter-cruises

This should be were the changes to UK testing are coming from, appears to be specific to northern Europe, can't find confirmation of press release on MSCs own website.

"UK and Ireland passengers on Mediterranean cruises will either need to have a negative antigen or PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure or be fully vaccinated in order to embark."

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, L and M UK said:

It looks like the Ireland site has now been updated and……… it’s now the same as the UK site - that we thought was erroneous! I despair. Another call to MSC! 😢

I don’t believe it!  🙄  I booked our test for 11.30am, 2 days out.  I don’t even know what our flight times are as we’re apparently on a Ryanair flight, even though our booking is still showing Aer Lingus.  Our tickets are due tomorrow and I was going to wait til then to see what they are.  Could they make this any more difficult than they already have?!!!

44 minutes ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

"MSC Cruises tweaks shore excursion policy for winter cruises | Travel Weekly" https://travelweekly.co.uk/news/cruise/msc-cruises-tweaks-shore-excursion-policy-for-winter-cruises

This should be were the changes to UK testing are coming from, appears to be specific to northern Europe, can't find confirmation of press release on MSCs own website.

"UK and Ireland passengers on Mediterranean cruises will either need to have a negative antigen or PCR test taken within 48 hours of departure or be fully vaccinated in order to embark."

It says “…. OR be fully vaccinated… “.   Does this mean we don’t need the test if we have the DCC (Covid cert)?

So now the UK and Ireland sites are both stating Antigen or PCR within 48 Hours for Med Cruises.

Our TA has sent us an email which states PCR only and within 72 hours.

Unbelievable that such vitally important information is not set in stone and clear for everyone.

We fly to Rome on Tuesday so still don't know what we are supposed to present at the ship on Wednesday?

1 minute ago, Beamafar said:

It says “…. OR be fully vaccinated… “.   Does this mean we don’t need the test if we have the DCC (Covid cert)?

According to the website we need both.  

Just been onto a very sympathetic rep.  I explained that it’s impossible to plan for tests with the constant changes.  Plus, MSC still hasn’t given us our flight times, so we have no idea when we’ll arrive at the port!   The system is not even showing the rep what flights we’re on.  Apparently all will be revealed tomorrow. 🙄

I’ve managed to change our test time til later in the day but there were only 3 places per slot available for the whole day.  There were 12 available in each slot when I booked yesterday.  So it looks like I was right to book ahead.  Hopefully we’ll be within the 48 hour limit at boarding time.  

11 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

According to the website we need both.  

Just been onto a very sympathetic rep.  I explained that it’s impossible to plan for tests with the constant changes.  Plus, MSC still hasn’t given us our flight times, so we have no idea when we’ll arrive at the port!   The system is not even showing the rep what flights we’re on.  Apparently all will be revealed tomorrow. 🙄

I’ve managed to change our test time til later in the day but there were only 3 places per slot available for the whole day.  There were 12 available in each slot when I booked yesterday.  So it looks like I was right to book ahead.  Hopefully we’ll be within the 48 hour limit at boarding time.  

have you booked Antigen or PCR?

you mention 48 hours but isn't that if Antigen or PCR (as per website), if it is a mandatory PCR then think that can be within 72 hours?