New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

2 hours ago, nickam said:

I received this email on 5th october for our October 23rd cruise from Barcelona 

Says PCR test within 72 hours of embarkation

Screenshot_20211013-090047_Email.jpg

This email was sent after they changed the website to pcr or antigen test

To me it says website is showing wrong information

46 minutes ago, The_0neuk said:

if it was me i would be having a PCR test and nothing else

That way your getting onboard imagine have an antigen and then an argument at the port about what website and emails say etc etc

PCR - Save yourself hassle

We have booked a pcr guaranteed next day result that will be in the 48 hour window 

Rather that than have hassle at port 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, nickam said:

This email was sent after they changed the website to pcr or antigen test

To me it says website is showing wrong information

An MSC agent confirmed with me yesterday that the information on the website is correct - an antigen OR PCR within 48 hours of embarkation  is what’s required for Med cruises. 

On 10/12/2021 at 11:55 AM, heathstockton4 said:

We are at out hotel in Rome, no issues with the Antigen at the airport so hopefully the same tomorrow with MSC

Just read our certificate and i can't actually see anything on it that suggests it was done remotely at home, it even has a QR code and contact number of the Dr that has verified the negative result.

Will update tomorrow, hopefully to confirm hassle free embarkation 

Let’s see how heathstockon4 gets on today. Fingers crossed that he boards smoothly a) for him and b) as it’ll be helpful to a number of us (who’ve opted, for various reasons, for antigen). 🤞

personnally I don’t see how MSC could refuse boarding when passengers have complied with their requirements (particularly when they have the required antigen tests within 50 yards of the checkpoint). Exciting! (So “exciting” that I need a holiday!!).

• Like 2

Quick update from MSC Grandiosa

No issues whatsoever with an Antigen Test, so can confirm that certainly for any UK passengers you are fine with an Antigen Test done within 48 hours of embarkation time, they did check the time on the certificate but other than that no questions asked

In all it took just over 2 hours to get through all the various checks to stepping on the ship, not too bad really and it was busy with lots of new passengers joining, i presume Rome is one of the busier starting ports on this itinerary.

One think i would take note of, they are very thorough with the insurance cover, we used the MSC top up insurance and even that they wanted the full policy details, i'd only printed the confirmation email. No problems though once showed them the full policy.

Off now to enjoy the cruise

Arrivederci
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

12 minutes ago, heathstockton4 said:

No issues whatsoever with an Antigen Test, so can confirm that certainly for any UK passengers you are fine with an Antigen Test done within 48 hours of embarkation time, they did check the time on the certificate but other than that no questions asked

In all it took just over 2 hours to get through all the various checks to stepping on the ship, not too bad really and it was busy with lots of new passengers joining, i presume Rome is one of the busier starting ports on this itinerary.

One think i would take note of, they are very thorough with the insurance cover, we used the MSC top up insurance and even that they wanted the full policy details, i'd only printed the confirmation email. No problems though once showed them the full policy.

Arrivederci

Many thanks and enjoy!! 

5 hours ago, Beamafar said:

An MSC agent confirmed with me yesterday that the information on the website is correct - an antigen OR PCR within 48 hours of embarkation  is what’s required for Med cruises. 

I wonder whether a 'Grand Voyage' i.e. repositioning cruise from the Med to the Caribbean is any different from that requirement...any idea??

TIA

5 minutes ago, hamrag said:

I wonder whether a 'Grand Voyage' i.e. repositioning cruise from the Med to the Caribbean is any different from that requirement...any idea??

TIA

Here’s what it says on the website under the Grand Voyage heading:

E6B30683-A830-483C-B60E-64E1EEE06B1B.thumb.png.8bd10a6c0044887d188ab86a7a69f68e.png

25FADCDC-8DBC-445C-8DA2-921B0DBE21FC.thumb.png.8b7b235f16550b273d4018c2914b43f6.png

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, heathstockton4 said:

Arrivederci

Fantastic news!  Thank you so much for sharing that.  

We've just done an in-person antigen test this afternoon and have our negative result certificate.   We fly to Italy tomorrow, and then board the MSC Seaside, also from Civitavecchia, on Friday morning.

I'll share my check in experience here after boarding just to pay it forward and give additional assurance to others.

Have a great cruise.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, heathstockton4 said:

Arrivederci

Thank you very much for reporting back! We already had cruise and covid cover on our policy but I've just purchased the extra cover from Europ (only 44 GBP...), just in case it isn't sufficient!!!

Have a great trip!!

Hat tip to our friends from another popular travel forum (famous for reviews, in case I'm not allowed to name it..). Should be useful for anyone looking an antigen prior to boarding from Italy!

See attached and below post:

The Italian Government has stipulated an accord with participating pharmacies to provide a Covid ANTIGEN (quick) test for a fixed cost of 15 Euros for adults and 8 Euros for children between ages 12 and 18. (The Government pays pharmacies a subsidy of 7 Euros for tests to minors).

Over 50% of Italian pharmacies have adhered to this plan, and the list is growing. The accord gets extended from time to time.

Tourists may need to have an antigen test performed in order to take certain public transportation in Italy, or dine in INDOOR restaurants, or enter museums or many other cultural or entertainment sites, or to return to their home countries (make sure that a molecular test is not required in the latter case).

Here is a list of participating pharmacies, current as of 23 September 2021:

23092021DGC_Elenco_Farmacie_Aderenti.pdf

• Thanks 1

Completed our Randox PCR at home yesterday, dropboxed at 16:00 at the chemist, and just received our negative results now, before we've even left the UK! Fantastic service, 14 hours turnaround for an at home service, including the transit time. Wasn't expecting our result until this evening so it's very reassuring to already have our negative COVID certificates ready for embarkation tomorrow. And the Randox certificate doesn't mention anywhere that the test was completed at home, it has an address in Warrington as the 'accessioning location' of the lab. 

• Like 2

Another encouraging report from the Seaside out of Civitavecchia.  

We’ve just boarded and provided our negative antigen results and they accepted it no questions asked. 

Somewhat frustratingly they didn’t ask to see our travel insurance at all. This is frustrating because although we already had travel insurance that we thought would have been fine, we each bought the additional MSC recommended travel insurance at £66 (£22 each). 

For the curious, our detailed check in process went like this:

Desk 1:  (initial doc review)

Reviewed cruise ticket, health questionnaire, vaccination certificate, and passport. 

‘Vaccination okay’ is written on health questionnaire move to desk 2

Desk 2: (baggage drop)

Passports, cruise ticket, health questionnaire checked again, compared against manifest 

Left our bags her, move to desk 3 

Desk 3: (nasal swab)

Passport and health questionnaire. Necked, given barcode stickers for nasal swab

Move around corner for nasal swab, hand over barcode stickers and given a ‘waiting area number’ for later

Moved then to check In

Desk 4: (check in)

Passports, health questionnaire, Covid vaccination record, recent negative Covid test result. 

Here, the agent asked specifically  ‘Do you have a record of a recent PCR test?’ and we just provided him our negative antigen test result printout without comment on the antigens/PCR difference.  He reviewed it and accepted it without comment.  He kept the test result, and returned our vaccination certificates. 

Here we had new photos taken, and were handed out keycards. 

Moved to waiting area number given at the nasal swab area. 

Waiting area:

Waited in an area with a total of about 20 passengers, after about 20 minutes our group was called and we were allowed to board.  I’m assuming since the waiting number was provided by the nasal swab stop, that we were waiting for the test results to be determined, and everyone in the group was negative. 

Next stop, board the ship, have a welcome aboard photo, given a hard sell for the drinks package, and then relax. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, doconner said:

Somewhat frustratingly they didn’t ask to see our travel insurance at all. This is frustrating because although we already had travel insurance that we thought would have been fine, we each bought the additional MSC recommended travel insurance at £66 (£22 each).

In Genoa in September they had a list of all passengers that had purchased the MSC insurance, so only asked to see the details from passengers that did not buy from MSC.

Have a nice cruise!

I have just been looking at the health questionnaire ready for tomorrow and I notice the question 'have you had a Covid 19 vaccination in the last 6 months?'. I had my second dose in March which is 7 months ago, meaning that I have to tick no to this question. Has anyone else had this issue and do you think it will be a problem on embarkation tomorrow? There isn't much I can do about it if it is a problem, though nowhere else does it state that the second dose has to have been within 6 months so this question has surprised me 

Hi all - has anyone got an update on the vaccination requirements for children?  Frustratingly, my son turns 12 before our cruise from Southampton in December!

According the the NHS website, children are only going to be offered one dose.  I have contacted MSC and no doubt will receive conflicting replies!

Thanks all.

ps - Hi Beamafar!!

Hi All,

Hope everyone is well - just a quick update.

We’ve boarded the Virtuosa in Barca this afternoon - completely stress free experience.

We took Antigen tests at the airport on Friday before flying out Saturday morning - cost £35pp - we then got our results & certificates emailed to us in 30 mins.  Showed our digital certificates at the first desk & absolutely no issues whatsoever.

On a completely different topic, I spent months trying to find out if we could upgrade our drinks package from Yacht Club to Premium Plus & went all around the houses.

Happened  to wander past a Drinks Package Rep onboard today who upgraded us for less than €15 pppd. 

Stunning ship & incredibly impressed with our first MSC experience so far! 

Happy Cruising folks 😎 x

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks a mil for sharing your experience, MamaDG.   We’re embarking in Barcelona on Friday so it’s great to hear how it went today.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy the PremPlus package as it’ll be discontinued next month.   Looking forward to making the most of it, ourselves, next week, too.  😁😁  Just make sure to tell anyone you’re ordering from that you have the package - even in YC. 

Did you have Covid insurance from MSC?

19 hours ago, Beamafar said:

Thanks a mil for sharing your experience, MamaDG.   We’re embarking in Barcelona on Friday so it’s great to hear how it went today.

Hope you have a fantastic cruise and enjoy the PremPlus package as it’ll be discontinued next month.   Looking forward to making the most of it, ourselves, next week, too.  😁😁  Just make sure to tell anyone you’re ordering from that you have the package - even in YC. 

Did you have Covid insurance from MSC?

Hi Beamafar,

Ahh it’s great to have an idea of what to expect isn’t  it. It really was a seamless experience - we turned up half an hour before our check in time - if we had turned up at 3 we would have been checked in and on the ship within the hour. 

We had insurance with Staysure - ~£54 for us both for a year - it’s actually the one document that no-one asked to see at any point. However it’s not worth chancing it.

We have definitely made the most of PremPlus so far although we are realising that when it goes to PremExtra it will still be a fabulous experience.

All I can say is I’m really pleased we didn’t listen to the bad reviews and made a decision to judge it for ourselves on its own merit for us.

I’m certain this will not be our only time YC!

Enjoy your cruise!!! 😎🍾🥂

Thanks again, MamaDG.

We also have yearly insurance;  I’ve printed out the policy pages that relate to Covid cover in case we’re asked for it.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the cruise.  YC is a fantastic experience.  We’re doing steerage on Friday but will enjoy hanging out at the Champagne Bar making the most of the PremPlus for the last time.  👍🍾🥂  Cheers!