New requirements for passengers from Ireland and UK

Beamafar

Thanks Beamafar, that would be really appreciated.

We are flying Ryanair from Dublin the day before the cruise and staying a night in Barcelona afterwards.

Hopefully the flights will be relatively trouble free and  we will resolve the issue over the “vaccine within six months issue.”
Enjoy your cruise and many thanks.  

• Thanks 1

Never checked Covid cert 

Travel insurance never checked

large group of Americans allowed onboard without a PCR test - just a lateral flow test

Absolute farce add on top of that you’re not allowed off unless you booked overpriced tours €180pp to Rome 3hr coach trip there and back.

As staff called them prison ships - staff not allowed off in over 4months

• Like 1

I contacted MSC re; the health questionnaire and the specific question " Have you had a Covid 19 vaccination in the last 6 months"?  

I was advised that if fully vaccinated and in possession of a Covid19 Vaccination certificate that I could travel, even if the last vaccination was more than six months before embarkation. 

However I would feel much more comfortable if this could be confirmed by someone who has already travelled and whose last vaccination was outside the six month timeframe. Hopefully someone shall be able to post confirmation of this.

Thanks in anticipation. 

• Like 2

Nearly had a heart attack when I seen this just came through on my emails! (nothing new of any concern)

SUBJECT: Important Notice: UPDATE - Guest Embarkation requirements for the Mediterranean

DEPARTURE DATE: XX-Oct-21

REFERENCE: XXXXXXX

Dear XXXX XXXXX,

Thank you for choosing MSC Cruises for your upcoming sailing departing on 25-Oct-21

Please be aware of the recent change to our travel requirements for all guests embarking our fleet in the Mediterranean.

New information can be found on our website

https://www.msccruises.co.uk/health-and-safety-measures/mediterranean

TRAVEL REQUIREMENTS FOR MEDITERRANEAN CRUISES

For all sailings in the upcoming months till 31st March 2022, please note that all Guests will need to follow all of these requirements to be allowed on board: 

• All Guests (2 years old and over) need to provide a certificate of a negative antigen or RT-PCR test taken within 48 hours before embarkation
  • All Guests (12 years old and over) must be fully vaccinated (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, with an approved Covid-19 vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson)

The original test results certificate or vaccination certificate must be presented at the terminal (paper or electronic format) and must be in one of the following languages: English, Italian, German, French, or Spanish.  The COVID 19 test certificate must contain: guest’s personal data (verifiable with the other travel documents), date of the test, identification / contact details of the centre that performed the analysis, technique used and negative test result.

Insurance

It is mandatory for all guests embarking a MSC cruise ship to have a comprehensive Covid insurance policy, which includes COVID-19 related risks such as cancellation, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalisation.

You will be required to provide evidence of your insurance policy and this should include the details of the insurer, the insured amounts and full details of the COVID-19 coverage such as cancellation, interruption, repatriation expenses, quarantine, medical assistance and expenses, and hospitalization.

The proof of the insurance policy (e.g. certificate, schedule, policy summary) which must be in English, Italian, German, French or Spanish - clearly showing the COVID-19 coverage - must be presented at embarkation. Passengers failing to provide this documentation will be denied boarding.

A COVID-19 test, or Passenger locator form (PLF) may still be necessary for national or international mobility requirement. It is every guest’s responsibility to verify this requirement before departure. For more information, it is recommended to check your country’s competent authorities’ official channels.

Kind Regards,

Charlotte Jones

Head of Contact Centre UK and Ireland

17 minutes ago, SeaSwirl66 said:

All Guests (12 years old and over) must be fully vaccinated (i.e full set of vaccine shots received more than 14 days before the start of the cruise, with an approved Covid-19 vaccine: Pfizer, Moderna, AstraZeneca, Johnson & Johnson)

What exactly does full set of shots mean for 12 to 16 year olds in the UK ? They currently are only receiving one dose, does that count as a full set ?

3 minutes ago, defbref said:

What exactly does full set of shots mean for 12 to 16 year olds in the UK ? They currently are only receiving one dose, does that count as a full set ?

As far as I understand it is 2, Despite the fact that only 1 will be given in the UK. Might be worth ringing MSC to see what response they give.

2 minutes ago, sidari said:

As far as I understand it is 2, Despite the fact that only 1 will be given in the UK. Might be worth ringing MSC to see what response they give.

I agree they probably mean two which effectively means they can't travel, but saying full set rather than 2 does leave it open to interpretation. For instance they could even say, when boosters are widely available, that a full set includes a booster.

• Like 1

No issue with my 2nd vaccination being 7 months old. They didn't ask any further questions about it and I didn't bring their attention to it. They saw that I was fully vaccinated from my certificate (UK citizen). 

Embarkation in Barcelona was fine, but quite long. It  consisted of a long line under gazebo tents to get into the terminal building (probably took about 45 minutes). Documents were quickly checked in the space of about five minutes, we have insurance from 'coverforyou' and they were happy with that. And the PCR test result from Randox was fine.

We only have carry on bags so then we were assigned a boarding group number and went through a security scan. In the waiting area our test result and vaccination status paperwork from home was photographed by staff. 

Then we were called through by group number to another area for a further check of health form and then a COVID swab taken. We were then sent outside from terminal A to walk to terminal B to check in (quite a long way!) Check in was easy and reasonably quick. 

We then waited to board. The whole process from arriving at the cruise terminal to boarding the ship took just over two hours. 

• Like 2

Just now, defbref said:

I agree they probably mean two which effectively means they can't travel, but saying full set rather than 2 does leave it open to interpretation. For instance they could even say, when boosters are widely available, that a full set includes a booster.

Trouble is the booster is supposed to be a different manufacturer which means you cannot travel to the US as they currently will not allow people in with mixed jabs.

• Like 1

On 10/16/2021 at 6:46 PM, FEDERICOGRUMP said:

I also noticed the question referring to the vaccination within the last 6 months. Can you provide an update on your embarkation and how you dealt with the question ? 
Hope you were able to board with no problems. 

Sorry for the delay. I didn't take the WiFi package and I've just had the chance to log on via mobile data at the back end of an excursion. There were no issues with my vaccination status being seven months old. I purposefully left that section blank on the form as I didn't want it to seem like I was unvaccinated and I didn't want to tick yes. So I left it blank so they could ask me and either amend the date to seven months, or they could tick it or whatever they saw fit. When I got to the health check desk they took the form at the same time as doing my lateral flow test and noone mentioned it so I don't know whether they noticed or not. 

They did take photos of my vaccination certificate so they know when my vaccinations were completed.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sidari said:

Trouble is the booster is supposed to be a different manufacturer which means you cannot travel to the US as they currently will not allow people in with mixed jabs.

Actually, that's just changed. https://www.washingtonpost.com/health/2021/10/17/cdc-guidance-mixed-vaccine-dose-international-travel/ 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, FEDERICOGRUMP said:

I contacted MSC re; the health questionnaire and the specific question " Have you had a Covid 19 vaccination in the last 6 months"?  

I was advised that if fully vaccinated and in possession of a Covid19 Vaccination certificate that I could travel, even if the last vaccination was more than six months before embarkation. 

However I would feel much more comfortable if this could be confirmed by someone who has already travelled and whose last vaccination was outside the six month timeframe. Hopefully someone shall be able to post confirmation of this.

Thanks in anticipation. 

In August, one month before I travelled on MSC Virtuosa, I emailed MSC and asked:

""Have you had a COVID-19 vaccination in the last 6 months? (select "Yes" even if you have only got the first dose)"

I have had both vaccinations, but as a member of front line NHS staff, I have been fully vaccinated for over six months now.   
Do I still tick "yes" ??"

The reply (the same day) was:

"Dear Madam,
Thank you for your email.
You can tick YES
Kind regards."

Hope this helps.   I went through the embarkation process without problem with paper copy of vaccination certificate and back up copies of full insurance policy including supplementary endorsement letter (Staysure).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, showingdiva said:

In August, one month before I travelled on MSC Virtuosa, I emailed MSC and asked:

""Have you had a COVID-19 vaccination in the last 6 months? (select "Yes" even if you have only got the first dose)"

I have had both vaccinations, but as a member of front line NHS staff, I have been fully vaccinated for over six months now.   
Do I still tick "yes" ??"

The reply (the same day) was:

"Dear Madam,
Thank you for your email.
You can tick YES
Kind regards."

How ridiculous is that?!!! 🙄

1 hour ago, Beamafar said:

How ridiculous is that?!!! 🙄

?  What is ridiculous?   FEDERICOGRUMP asked a reasonable question and got a reasonable answer.  Many people on both sides of the Atlantic have had issues contacting MSC.   When I asked them the question, I wasn't expecting a dissertation back.  I got a simple answer back, which was all that was required.

32 minutes ago, showingdiva said:

?  What is ridiculous?   FEDERICOGRUMP asked a reasonable question and got a reasonable answer.  Many people on both sides of the Atlantic have had issues contacting MSC.   When I asked them the question, I wasn't expecting a dissertation back.  I got a simple answer back, which was all that was required.

I don't think they were criticising the question or the fact you contacted msc, they are criticizing the answer that msc gave where in you were told to basically lie to the answer to that question

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, defbref said:

I don't think they were criticising the question or the fact you contacted msc, they are criticizing the answer that msc gave where in you were told to basically lie to the answer to that question

Thank you!   That’s exactly what I meant!

• Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 3:13 PM, Beamafar said:

Thanks again, MamaDG.

We also have yearly insurance;  I’ve printed out the policy pages that relate to Covid cover in case we’re asked for it.

Glad to hear you’re enjoying the cruise.  YC is a fantastic experience.  We’re doing steerage on Friday but will enjoy hanging out at the Champagne Bar making the most of the PremPlus for the last time.  👍🍾🥂  Cheers!  

Hi Beamafar,

Not sure if the drinks menus are the same on your ship but I can highly recommend the Bruno Champagne in the L’Atelier Bar that’s available on PremPlus! 

Wishing you a safe & stress free embarkation tomorrow! 🥂🥂

1 minute ago, MamaDG said:

Hi Beamafar,

Not sure if the drinks menus are the same on your ship but I can highly recommend the Bruno Champagne in the L’Atelier Bar that’s available on PremPlus! 

Wishing you a safe & stress free embarkation tomorrow! 🥂🥂

Thank you so much on both counts, MamaDG.  I will certainly check out the Bruno, if it’s available.  DH and I have become very fond of Veuve Cliquot due to PremPlus.  We’re certainly going to miss it on future cruises.

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

Thank you so much on both counts, MamaDG.  I will certainly check out the Bruno, if it’s available.  DH and I have become very fond of Veuve Cliquot due to PremPlus.  We’re certainly going to miss it on future cruises.

Veuve Yellow Label is also our favourite however on Virtuosa they are currently only serving Veuve Cliquot Rich in both white & Rose by the glass which very disappointingly we have found is not to our taste 😩 hence we scouted out the Bruno Paillard and have found this to be a lovely alternative! Cheers! 🥂🥂

• Like 1