Drink package structure

thesailor

Hi All,

Just been browsing the various drink package categories to determine if my classic package is sufficient for the 3 day excursion between Portland and Dover Oct 29th.

Many things struck me regarding the grading of drinks within each category.

What methods do they use I wonder to place a drink into a particular package ?, example, run of the mill Baileys Irish cream, assuming from a one liter bottle, but probably bigger than that on ship, is placed in the 10 to 15 dollar bracket or premium package where in reality a 50ml shot is probably costing less than two dollars with respect to the quantities purchased by celebrity. You would expect this to easily fall in the classic nine dollar package.

There's a bit of manipulation going on here I feel.  Even my local Trip advisor rated Bistro only charges three pound for a baileys and five pound for a double and they are making a handsome profit on a bottle themselves.

Cmon.....There's making a profit and making a killing and I think we know what category this cruise line seems to be in with reference to bar prices.

Last orders please

Not sure I understand your question but I’ll see if I can help

The brand of alcohol is determining factor in whether a drink is included in the Classic or Premium package.  A Bloody Mary made with Absolut vodka would be covered by the Classic Package while a Bloody Mary made with Grey Goose is not covered by the Classic package as it is above the $ limit.  The Grey Goose Loody Mary is covered by the Classic package.  Same for a Margaritas one made with Don Julio Blanco is covered by the Classic package while one made with Patron is  on the Premium package.

The majority of cocktails can be made with the liquor on the Classic package.

Baileys is in the Premium package.  

3 hours ago, jelayne said:

Not sure I understand your question but I’ll see if I can help

The brand of alcohol is determining factor in whether a drink is included in the Classic or Premium package.  A Bloody Mary made with Absolut vodka would be covered by the Classic Package while a Bloody Mary made with Grey Goose is not covered by the Classic package as it is above the $ limit.  The Grey Goose Loody Mary is covered by the Classic package.  Same for a Margaritas one made with Don Julio Blanco is covered by the Classic package while one made with Patron is  on the Premium package.

The majority of cocktails can be made with the liquor on the Classic package.

Baileys is in the Premium package.  

So under the LIQUEURS AND COGNACS category, if I ordered a glass of Baileys  Irish cream ( as an example ) it would not fall into the classic package as it is determined to be worth 10 to 15 dollars and enters the premium package.. There is no way on this planet can  they can warrant Baileys being this expensive.

So my question relates to how do they decide what drinks fit a particular package, because it obviously can't be price related as Baileys is a cheaper Liqueur compared to some.

Maybe it's down to what is most popular to encourage you to upgrade, i'm not sure so hence the query. Thankyou for responding though,

thesailor

Your understanding is correct.  As to how pricing is determined, I’m sure someone in Miami determines that.
 Last time I was on a ship, pre Covid,  Baileys was $10.  So if you order a Baileys with the Classic package you would be charged $1.20 ( $1+ 20% tip.).  If your happy with everything else on the Classic package it would be better to stick with the Classic & pay the extra for the 1-2 Baileys rather than pay $12 per day to upgrade. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

With regards to ordering Bailey's, a single shot is barely worth the trouble. That's why I so look forward to booking a Sky Suite where I get the Premium beverage package and can order a triple Bailey's "no ice" as an after dinner drink while watching the show. If it was in the Classic beverage package, I guess I could order 3 single shots, just have them put it in the same glass. But I guess that's why they put it in the Premium beverage package so as to avoid that workaround issue by sneaky patrons like me. But that's just a guess. 😎

Edited by Ken the cruiser
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

With regards to ordering Bailey's, a single shot is barely worth the trouble. That's why I so look forward to booking a Sky Suite where I get the Premium beverage package and can order a triple Bailey's "no ice" as an after dinner drink while watching the show. If it was in the Classic beverage package, I guess I could order 3 single shots, just have them put it in the same glass. But I guess that's why they put it in the Premium beverage package so as to avoid that workaround issue by sneaky patrons like me. But that's just a guess. 😎

Probably get charged for at least 2 of the 3.

3 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really, even if I walked away, went to another bar and ordered one and then to a third bar? After all, where there is a will, there is a way? Do they charge someone if they order 3 shots of whiskey in short intervals?

God, I sure hope not.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

Really, even if I walked away, went to another bar and ordered one and then to a third bar? After all, where there is a will, there is a way? Do they charge someone if they order 3 shots of whiskey in short intervals?

If you are ordering Baileys with the Classic package you would be charged the upcharge.  If you are ordering Baileys with the Premium they will pour your double or maybe triple (I stop at a double) with a smile. 

2 minutes ago, jelayne said:

If you are ordering Baileys with the Classic package you would be charged the upcharge.  If you are ordering Baileys with the Premium they will pour your double or maybe triple (I stop at a double) with a smile. 

That's why I love booking a SS when we can and get the PBP. When I headed to the The Club bar on our recent Edge B3B for my evening triple Baileys, after awhile they stopped checking my card giving me the understanding there was no limit with the PBP. I started with a double, but sometimes a new bartender would cut each shot a little short, so I started ordering the triple to make up for any shortage. But, with two glasses of wine plus the Baileys as my drinking limit for the evening, my DW is happy and that's the main thing. 😁

BUT, our next cruise is on the Apex in a SV with a CBP. So I guess there will be no Bailey's after dinner drink while watching the show as there is no way I'm going to pay any extra for it. 😔

11 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Has someone done the math to figure out the real cost for the All Included program with the Premium drink package, basic internet/wifi and tips?

I would think it would come down to how heavy of a drinker you are. I just figure the AI is worth about $50 pp/day (+/-) when we're comparing itineraries and cabin costs with other cruise lines. I know with Princess theirs is a clean $40 pp/day markup which you have the option of adding it or not to your booking.

13 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

I would think it would come down to how heavy of a drinker you are. I just figure the AI is worth about $50 pp/day (+/-) when we're comparing itineraries and cabin costs with other cruise lines. I know with Princess theirs is a clean $40 pp/day markup which you have the option of adding it or not to your booking.

Are you calling me a heavy drinker?!?  🤮

🙂

Edited by zitsky
  • Haha 2

Just now, zitsky said:

Are you calling me a heavy drinker?!?  🤮

You see I'm held back by my DW. She only allows me 2 glasses of wine and a glass of Baileys (when we have the PBP) a night. For some reason she thinks my brain and mouth sometimes get out of sync when I drink more than that. But, as they say happy wife means happy life, so what's a guy to do. 😁

2 minutes ago, Ken the cruiser said:

You see I'm held back by my DW. She only allows me 2 glasses of wine and a glass of Baileys (when we have the PBP) a night. For some reason she thinks my brain and mouth sometimes get out of sync when I drink more than that. But, as they say happy wife means happy life, so what's a guy to do. 😁

I'll do one or two glasses at wine for lunch.  Same for dinner.  Maybe a scotch or martini before dinner.  Maybe port or Grand Marnier after dinner.  Not every day though.

1 hour ago, zitsky said:

.. or Grand Marnier after dinner.

On a night where there appears to be a good chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling on offer, I'll poke my fork into the surface a dozen times, and pour half a shot over it.  Got hooked on orange/chocolate in Scotland decades ago, and still Jones for it from time to time.  The Pepperidge farm chocolate/orange Milanos are nice, but nothing beats half a shot of Gran Marnier over gâteau au chocolat!

Edited by canderson

50 minutes ago, canderson said:

On a night where there appears to be a good chocolate cake with chocolate cream filling on offer, I'll poke my fork into the surface a dozen times, and pour half a shot over it.  Got hooked on orange/chocolate in Scotland decades ago, and still Jones for it from time to time.  The Pepperidge farm chocolate/orange Milanos are nice, but nothing beats half a shot of Gran Marnier over gâteau au chocolat!

A local French restaurant had a Grand Marnier chocolate mousse.  I had it maybe a dozen times.  A new chef took over and it was gone.  😭

On 9/17/2021 at 6:32 PM, thesailor said:

Hi All,

Just been browsing the various drink package categories to determine if my classic package is sufficient for the 3 day excursion between Portland and Dover Oct 29th.

Many things struck me regarding the grading of drinks within each category.

What methods do they use I wonder to place a drink into a particular package ?, example, run of the mill Baileys Irish cream, assuming from a one liter bottle, but probably bigger than that on ship, is placed in the 10 to 15 dollar bracket or premium package where in reality a 50ml shot is probably costing less than two dollars with respect to the quantities purchased by celebrity. You would expect this to easily fall in the classic nine dollar package.

There's a bit of manipulation going on here I feel.  Even my local Trip advisor rated Bistro only charges three pound for a baileys and five pound for a double and they are making a handsome profit on a bottle themselves.

Cmon.....There's making a profit and making a killing and I think we know what category this cruise line seems to be in with reference to bar prices.

Last orders please

No matter where we buy an alcoholic beverage there is a BIG mark-up, on land or on sea.  It is a big profit center for the food and bar industry.  Manipulation or not, it is what it is.  Cheers

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

It’s funny when you two talk about Grand Marnier, I drifted back to my AF days drinking B-52s which are 1/2 Baileys and 1/2 Kahlua top with Grand Marnier which is then ignited. Ah, the good old days! What great memories!! Wow, that could explain why I have a taste for Baileys. Who knew! 😂

Gluten free desserts are pitiful as a rule so my GF go-to is liqueur over ice cream.  Usually order a shot of creme de cassis, creme de menthe, or kahlua, etc., when I sit down for dinner.  Then when it's time for dessert, I have it to pour it over vanilla ice cream.  Need to google "liqueurs" to come up with other things to try.  Had the CBP last cruise and only thought of the creme de cassis as a substitute (poor) for Chambord because they use it in kir.  Next few cruises are PBP so will opt for Chambord.  Lots of OBC so maybe Chambord should go over gelato at Cafe al Bacio. 🤗 

• Haha 1

11 hours ago, Ken the cruiser said:

The power of the wife hey !!!!!!!!

So funny.

• Like 1