New Princess Sphere class ships?

big al

On 9/17/2022 at 11:36 AM, ldtr said:

We will visit Manaus next year on either Hal or Oceania. Just as we will be visiting Bora Bora (we were just there in May for a 15 day land visit) on Oceania.

From your earlier posts in this thread lamenting the fact that the budget cruiser is getting squeezed out sort of contradicts the fact that you'll possibly be sailing on Oceania multiple times in the future and you also had a recent 15 day land tour in Bora Bora.  

Sailing on Oceania and a two week+ land tour of Bora Bora does not sound like budget vacationing to me.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, Westsail32 said:

All the discussion about ship within a ship and big spenders getting premium services.  I guess I’ll have to wait and see.  I’ve only been cruising since 2013 so my experience is limited.  I’ve never booked a suite or even a mini-suite, usually travel alone, and prefer ocean view cabins on deck 8 so I’m close to Crooners.  On a seven day cruise I’ll eat in a specialty restaurant probably four times.  I never go to the buffet, and always use the MDR when possible or hit up Alfredo’s for lunch.  I don’t spend a lot on ship otherwise so I’m not a huge money maker for them.

I don’t see a huge difference coming in the things I like to do on ship.  Going to shows, enjoying the bars, walking outside, unwinding, not much is going to change because of “Reserve” or “Signature”.  Club Class didn’t cause me any problems when it was introduced either.  I believe their special breakfast is in the steakhouse or something?  So they just repurposed a location that wasn’t being used by anyone for breakfast.  In the MDR I’ve noticed they have their own area but I’m not sure the food is any different.  A couple times last cruise I ended up being seated there and everything was the same.  

Overall with the financial hit the cruise lines took with Covid I’m not surprised we’re not seeing some things like blue bags and other goodies now.   It’s kind of that way everywhere.  If someone wants to overpay for a suite with “reserve” in the name they’re free too.  I think even if I had the money I wouldn’t.  When I think of it the one thing I really miss is the sea day pub-lunch.  I love the fish and chips with a Guinness!  I guess that cutback ticked me off a little.  So Princess, if your reading this, hint, hint!

I have a bucket list with a transatlantic crossing on the Queen Mary 2 on it (round trip).  I’ll be staying in a lowly Britannia class cabin.  No Princess Grill or Queens Grill for me.  I’d love to try it but I can’t afford it.   I guess if this was Titanic I’d be down in Steerage.   LOL

We have done the QM2 a number of times, always in Britannia class which is what the majority of the passengers are in...we wouldn't all fit in "steerage" but the Grill people would!  LOL!
Sometimes it's just preference on what cabin we choose...could we do a suite if we wanted to?  Sure, but we choose to go in a lower category and cruise 3 times a year. rather than just once in the suite.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

From your earlier posts in this thread lamenting the fact that the budget cruiser is getting squeezed out sort of contradicts the fact that you'll possibly be sailing on Oceania multiple times in the future and you also had a recent 15 day land tour in Bora Bora.  

Sailing on Oceania and a two week+ land tour of Bora Bora does not sound like budget vacationing to me.

I never said that I was a budget cruiser. I have never once talked about what people can afford (though another poster has).  I spend over 120 days a year on cruise ships and on international travel, have 51 days booked on Princess next year, down from this last year, but cruises booked on other lines as well. Yes, this year I have spent time in over water bungalows in Bora Bora, as well as flown business class on several international trips.  Never once made a comment about budget travel. I expect that we spend more on travel each year than most on these boards.  Could certainly afford to book the new offerings if we thought it matched what we wanted in travel, it doesn't. 

What I have said is that going to a ship within a ship route can and has in other cases reduced the quality of the experience for those that are not in one of those special categories, roughly 80% of the passengers.  As a result they impact the value that those travelers  receive.  Unlike some here that clearly value the ship as a destination, I consider cruising to be a comfortable and pleasant way to do interesting itineraries.  Princess for the last 10 years has met that requirement quite well (except during the Covid shutdown).  Though with the ship size getting larger, the apparent change in focus from the itineraries (compare next years schedule to one from 5 years ago and it is narrower and more repetitive) to one that is more the ship is the destination.  The same route taken by several other main stream cruise lines, taking larger ships to fewer more and more crowded destinations.  Fortunately there are many other travel choices that one can make when their current vendors are no longer appealing.   I will be at the northern tip of Norway on Hurtigruten this Feb looking for northern lights. In the fall will be on a 40 passenger ship going to several of the smaller, uncrowded islands in Greece.  When Princess no longer meets my needs lots of other places to go.

I just disagree with the class structure on cruise ships, replacing the past Ala Carte approach taken by Princess, and its potential negative impact on fellow travelers.

Edited by ldtr

On 9/17/2022 at 9:41 PM, eroller said:

Generally the XL Class are high density ships, but the Princess version is almost 1000 less pax so that is a positive.     

Actually the Sun Princess is closer to 2000 less passengers.  Back in February we spent two weeks on the Mardi Gras with 5000 people.  Had 6000 the last week of August and 5700 the first week of September.  With the Sun only topping out at 4300, that's a much better space ratio.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Actually the Sun Princess is closer to 2000 less passengers.  Back in February we spent two weeks on the Mardi Gras with 5000 people.  Had 6000 the last week of August and 5700 the first week of September.  With the Sun only topping out at 4300, that's a much better space ratio.

I’m basing it off double occupancy which is the industry standard for determining the space ratio.   MG is 5282 and SP is 4300.  So 982 less pax than MG which is a good thing.  I’m not sure yet what total capacity of SP will be yet with all the 3rd and 4th berths filled. 

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

Sure they might gain some.  But the implementation will be compared to what they are used to on other lines.  If the same things are not offered they might leave just as fast as they try it.

Well I sail NCL in the Haven and Royal Star a class as well and might become more loyal to Princess if they start matching those same perks. Time will tell. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wishing on a star said:

Would love to see a quick rundown describing Princess, Discovery for example, as compared to Mardi Gras!  We do like the Piazza concept, the Sanctuary.  How would Mardi Gras be for us.

Sailed on the Discovery for 14 days and have done the MG for 28.  I would recommend the new Celebration over the Mardi Gras, especially since you have the option to fly into MIA or FLL since it embarks from MIA compared to the MG embarking from PC.  I would recommend the Celebration during those times of the year when the kids are in school since there is less of a chance of the numbers approaching 6000, which we had the last week of August.  The lunch time food options and the family and adult comedy choices (about 45+ shows over 7 days with 6 comedians) were major plusses for the ship.  

Itinerary wise, I would recommend the Southern Caribbean going to Aruba, 9/9/23 8 days, the cheapest of the five 2023 options with this itinerary.

52 minutes ago, ldtr said:

I never said that I was a budget cruiser. I have never once talked about what people can afford (though another poster has).  I spend over 120 days a year on cruise ships and on international travel, have 51 days booked on Princess next year, down from this last year, but cruises booked on other lines as well. Yes, this year I have spent time in over water bungalows in Bora Bora, as well as flown business class on several international trips.  Never once made a comment about budget travel. I expect that we spend more on travel each year than most on these boards.  Could certainly afford to book the new offerings if we thought it matched what we wanted in travel, it doesn't. 

What I have said is that going to a ship within a ship route can and has in other cases reduced the quality of the experience for those that are not in one of those special categories, roughly 80% of the passengers.  As a result they impact the value that those travelers  receive.  Unlike some here that clearly value the ship as a destination, I consider cruising to be a comfortable and pleasant way to do interesting itineraries.  Princess for the last 10 years has met that requirement quite well (except during the Covid shutdown).  Though with the ship size getting larger, the apparent change in focus from the itineraries (compare next years schedule to one from 5 years ago and it is narrower and more repetitive) to one that is more the ship is the destination.  The same route taken by several other main stream cruise lines, taking larger ships to fewer more and more crowded destinations.  Fortunately there are many other travel choices that one can make when their current vendors are no longer appealing.   I will be at the northern tip of Norway on Hurtigruten this Feb looking for northern lights. In the fall will be on a 40 passenger ship going to several of the smaller, uncrowded islands in Greece.  When Princess no longer meets my needs lots of other places to go.

I just disagree with the class structure on cruise ships, replacing the past Ala Carte approach taken by Princess, and its potential negative impact on fellow travelers.

Since you travel for 1/3 of the calendar year and can afford a 40 passenger Greek Island cruise, whatever happens down the road to the rest of the Princess fleet because of the Sun Princess should not effect you too much since it seems that most mass market cruise lines don't visit the more boutique ports that I will infer are more to your liking.  

The mass market lines need to do what they can to become profitable after bleeding billions during Covid.  They need to differentiate themselves to some degree or at least keep up with the Joneses to get their cut of the overall pie.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

The Sky Bike is on the Vista Class ships (Vista, Horizon, Panorama). The Excel Class of Carnival (Mardi Gras, Celebration, Jubilee) have a roller coaster.

Thanks! I must have read the photo's caption wrong. Good to know which is which. 

16 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

Since you travel for 1/3 of the calendar year and can afford a 40 passenger Greek Island cruise, whatever happens down the road to the rest of the Princess fleet because of the Sun Princess should not effect you too much since it seems that most mass market cruise lines don't visit the more boutique ports that I will infer are more to your liking.  

The mass market lines need to do what they can to become profitable after bleeding billions during Covid.  They need to differentiate themselves to some degree or at least keep up with the Joneses to get their cut of the overall pie.

I have been a customer of Princess for years and have enjoyed their product.  So I will speak up if I see them making changes that is likely to make the product less attractive.

On the other hand have you even sailed on Princess much?  You seem to be much more active on Carnival, MSC and NCL boards and do not recall seeing you post about Princess except for the discussion on the new Sphere Class.  Having 3 or 4 cruise lines going the ship within a ship route not enough? Something lacking in those ships that have gone that route?

Interesting that many of those pushing the ship within a ship route seem to be sailing more on other lines that have gone that direction and apparently not satisfied since they need Princess to go that route too.

Edited by ldtr

45 minutes ago, CruizinSusan70 said:

And that is the problem with the direction Princess is going.

They used to differentiate themselves in a number of ways, but now Princess seems to be trying more and more to be just like the competition (larger ships, less unique itineraries, must pay for shore excursions booked in advance at time of reserving, ship-within-a-ship, etc.).

Well, when they are just like the competition, then only price differentiates the cruise lines.

• Like 7

59 minutes ago, caribill said:

Itdr said the Africa trip for $5498 was a land tour, not on a cruise.

It was a 12 day trip from Gate1. They have others both longer and shorter.

49 minutes ago, caribill said:

And that is the problem with the direction Princess is going.

They used to differentiate themselves in a number of ways, but now Princess seems to be trying more and more to be just like the competition (larger ships, less unique itineraries, must pay for shore excursions booked in advance at time of reserving, ship-within-a-ship, etc.).

Well, when they are just like the competition, then only price differentiates the cruise lines.

This is best analysis I have seen so far.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ldtr said:

It was a 12 day trip from Gate1. They have others both longer and shorter.

In looking into this sort of trip, this is a name that has a high reputation.  Some year before too terribly long, I want to go there and experience safari on some game preserve(s).  Are you going down there in their summer months, or what do you recommend as best time of year?  (I don't think we would travel as far as to see the huge migration).

4 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

In looking into this sort of trip, this is a name that has a high reputation.  Some year before too terribly long, I want to go there and experience safari on some game preserve(s).  Are you going down there in their summer months, or what do you recommend as best time of year?  (I don't think we would travel as far as to see the huge migration).

Some friends of ours who made several trips there  suggested June for South Africa. The great migration would not be SA but more central Africa. We will be doing a 16 day trip that include Victoria Falls and some parks nearby.

We have found their tours to ge a good value. Similar  in quality to the more expensive Collette Tours.

Edited by ldtr

11 hours ago, HBCcruiser said:

I have NCL/RCI/Celebrity cruising buds that are willing to sail the Sun and try sailing with Princess. Princess may gain NEW clients because of the ship within a ship concept. We shall see.

Yup, I am pretty sure I even said in this thread that the only time I sailed Princes was the worst cruise I was ever on.  The ONLY reason I would give them another chance would be to try their version of ship within a ship.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ldtr said:

Some friends of ours who made several trips there  suggested June for South Africa. The great migration would not be SA but more central Africa. We will be doing a 16 day trip that include Victoria Falls and some parks nearby.

We have found their tours to ge a good value. Similar  in quality to the more expensive Collette Tours.

Right... I forgot... no need to go in our Winter.  And that is why I mentioned not likely the migration since it is so much further North.  Thanks for your insight and I will end this mini-hijack now.  😉

23 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Right... I forgot... no need to go in our Winter.  And that is why I mentioned not likely the migration since it is so much further North.  Thanks for your insight and I will end this mini-hijack now.  😉

One more note. They said June because it was dry season  but still early enough that the foliage is still green and the animals stand out better than later when everything has turned brown and they tend to blend in.

2 hours ago, JimmyVWine said:

Catch up, or succumb? 

What kind of a business decision is it to follow the competition instead of being better than the competition? It used to be that being unique was a plus. But today, with the dumbing down of life brought to us by social media, being like everyone else is now the goal. 

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, PTMary said:

What kind of a business decision is it to follow the competition instead of being better than the competition? It used to be that being unique was a plus. But today, with the dumbing down of life brought to us by social media, being like everyone else is now the goal. 

Well, the solution is an easy one, though I suspect that Princess will not follow it, which is to implement dramatic, industry-following changes on some ships, but not all.  Implement a class-based system on some ships, but not all.  Put go-kart tracks, (or whatever that is on Deck 20) on some ships, but not all.  Eliminate aft-facing cabins on some ships, but not all.  Etc.  And of course, until the existing ships are retired, there will be choices, and that will buy at least 10 more years.  The real test will be to see if the next 5 ships that follow Sun will all feature the same changes or if they roll out a blend of new and familiar.