Packing for Italy land/cruise tips

SuzyQ123

Spending 10 days in Italy prior to Transatlantic ....any hints on packing for land vs cruise? We have never done a land tour prior to cruising. Perhaps some of you that have done this have hints of what not to do or what should be packed. Thanks! 

A cruise line provided land tour? I would be asking the cruise line. A separate company providing the tour...say like AAA? They will tell you what baggage limitations you have.

The key point would be if you are entering a church, the Vatican or other significant religious site, knees and shoulders need to be covered, for men and women.

What time of year are you going -- and where? That would be helpful to know.  Italy isn't a huge country but there are differences in weather from, let's say Venice to Sicily....

One important tip I can share no matter where or when you're going is to bring comfortable walking shoes -- preferably two pair so you can alternate. You will likely be walking on a lot of city pavement and cobblestones which can be rough on the feet unless you have shoes with a rigid or semi-rigid sole, such as hiking shoes have. All the cushioning in the world won't save you from stone bruises otherwise. Also they should be adjustable -- if it's summer and you're walking a lot, your feet are likely to swell a bit.

The jury is out on sandals. I don't wear them when doing a lot of walking either in cities (my feet get too dirty) or at archaeological sites where you can get a lot of sand/pebbles inside or shoe or even -- as I have done -- bash a toe against hard rock and lose a toenail.  But there are other people who love them.

• Like 1

Agree with everything posted by Cruisemom.  You also might want to check the long range weather forecasts shortly before you pack paying particular attention to the temperature trends in areas you will visit.  As to the land part, for daytime touring it is all about comfort.  In Italy you will discover that jeans are very common.  Shorts or other items that are above the knees can be a problem in Italy if you plan on visiting a lot of churches and keep in mind that the Vatican Museums do enforce a dress code.  DW and I both live in sandals when in Italy (and many other places) and also bring along very comfy sneakers (trainers for you Brits) as a back up.   Also be prepared if you get a rainy day.  We usually have some kind of rain jacket (weight depends on temperatures) and will sometimes even take waterproof rain pants (we can wear these over jeans) .   Most experienced travelers will tell you that having "layers" is an easy solution to changing temperatures.

Hank

Thanks to those that responded. We are going in the fall on a separate non cruise related tour.  Because we will be limited to a suitcase each I know we will have to really pack smart...probably 1 suitcase for the 10 day tour and the other with cruising attire.  Interesting that jeans were worn, as I was wondering if that was appropriate. Curious if you did some laundry in your room so as not to take too many socks, etc? Always thankful for advice from seasoned travelers! 

Jeans are fine but they are heavy and difficult to wash/dry (takes more than an overnight). If you're going to take them, I suggest wearing them on the plane so you can pack more. Tennis shoes (even white ones, which are magically "in style" at the moment) have lost their stigma of being "American" too. 

To pack less I would suggest layering items and yes, being prepared to handwash a few things. I have several pairs of hiking/outdoor pants (by Columbia) in black that look streamlined enough for city wear and are made of a performance fiber that wicks moisture and is quick-drying. Ideal for these circumstances. Instead of bringing multiple types of jackets, bring a rain jacket that is large enough to layer a fleece or sweater underneath if needed. If your trans-Atlantic is later in the fall it can be chilly in the mornings in places like Tuscany or Venice.

• 5 months later...

I pack two tops for every pair of pants.  I wear pants twice before washing.  Downy wrinkle release and  helps refresh pants. Wear your jacket and walking shoes on the plane.  I only pack two pairs of shoes, sandals and dress shoes.  You can pack your shoes with socks inside.  We always do a small load of clothes at the hotel the day before the cruise. We also send out some laundry on the cruise when they run the laundry special 

Hi

I would never bring jeans on a long trip because they are heavy to pack

DH always wears his

The trick is to color coordinate your clothes so that you don't need too many shoes

Wear the heaviest ones onto the plane

I'd have 2 pairs of walking sh oes and maybe sandals to  change into at night

It's good to know that sneakers are now in fashion

In warm weather I think dresses are e asier to pack than slacks

There are many fabrics that don't need any ironing at all 

You just roll up the clothes and they look great

I actually don't think there's all that much difference in what I pack for a cruise vs a land trip

You don't usually need formal we a r these days at sea!