Ontario - Convert Your Vaccine Receipt to Your Apple Wallet

Robjame

55 minutes ago, trtog7 said:

So what do you do if you do not have an Apple phone or no phone?

Showing your vaccination printed receipts or showing camera pictures of your receipts are the two common ways of showing vaccination receipts for entry to restaurants, events, etc.

The Apple Wallet is just a more convenient link to your vaccination records for those who have iPhones. It provides a QR code which can easily be scanned.

Edited by Robjame
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, trtog7 said:

So what do you do if you do not have an Apple phone or no phone?

If you have an Android phone, this software will generate a photo version of the document. If you have no phone, then you just need to go to the OMH website, download the PDF and carry a printed version with you. Unlike the phone-based system offered by Grassroots, it won't have a QR code for quick scanning.

• Like 2

For Android phones just download the pdf certificate. On some Android phones, (e.g. Samsung), you can use the Files app to create a home screen link to the document. Simply tapping the link will display the certificate. 

(You may have to select an app to view the pdf. On my Samsung I picked the Notes app and selected Always. Worst case you can download a pdf viewer app from the Play store.)

12 hours ago, Robjame said:

https://grassroots.vaccine-ontario.ca

There are waits at various times.

Not for travel but works for restaurants, gyms, etc

Thank you @Robjame! 

It's grassroots groups like the one you mentioned above, and VaccineHunters.ca, and posts like yours that counterbalance the knuckle draggers at Queen's Park.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

Did you download both vaccine shots ? 
it took about 20 mins to download each yesterday 

Just the second shot, as it confirms that you are fully vaccinated. The Grassroots program only works with the second receipt to produce the QR code and the Apple Wallet pass.

My delay time was seven minutes for the single download. 

Finished product:

IMG_3084.thumb.PNG.bc78630c88fab26040c189e273483a7d.PNG

Edited by Fouremco

4 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I find this to be pointless because right now we don't need a QR code so it just adds another confusing layer when showing people your proof of vaccination.

Once we have an actual province wide system then of course a QR code will be useful.

Not really , learn how to do something on my iPhone 😄

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Airbalancer said:

Did you download both vaccine shots ? 
it took about 20 mins to download each yesterday 

have not tested this part but if you download #1 it appears orange. #2 appears green. Hostesses etc know that and are looking for green.

17 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

find this to be pointless because right now we don't need a QR code so it just adds another confusing layer when showing people your proof of vaccination.

When we used this last night the restaurant had a QR code scanner which flashed up “VERIFIED”.

most of these young hostesses are much more adept than I am with technology. She was not puzzled when we showed our wallet.

Going to a Leafs game it would be a lot faster than pictures or paper. Not as much of an issue at Sens games.  😜

• Like 5

38 minutes ago, K_e_short said:

I find this to be pointless because right now we don't need a QR code so it just adds another confusing layer when showing people your proof of vaccination.

Once we have an actual province wide system then of course a QR code will be useful.

Not so. There are numerous non-essential retail locations that already have scanners. And those that don't still accept the Apple Wallet pass. So no need to carry paperwork in addition to my iPhone. If you prefer to use paper, that's fine, I imagine that when Ontario finally introduces its app, a lot of people will choose not to use it and stick with the paper.

20 minutes ago, Robjame said:

When we used this last night the restaurant had a QR code scanner which flashed up “VERIFIED”.

most of these young hostesses are much more adept than I am with technology. She was not puzzled when we showed our wallet.

Going to a Leafs game it would be a lot faster than pictures or paper. Not as much of an issue at Sens games.  😜

O.k I'm confused.

Where did that restaurant get the technology to scan QR codes? 

I thought that the province of Ontario does not have a QR system in place.

And yes.. I'm just pointing out the stupidity of how this is being rolled out. I work at a place that is deemed non essential and have been spending the last two nights checking vaccination sheets and I.D.s. It was either paper, documents on a phone, or pictures of the documents on a phone.

2 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Not so. There are numerous non-essential retail locations that already have scanners. And those that don't still accept the Apple Wallet pass. So no need to carry paperwork in addition to my iPhone. If you prefer to use paper, that's fine, I imagine that when Ontario finally introduces its app, a lot of people will choose not to use it and stick with the paper.

O.k. so when did they get the scanners? Why don't all non essential businesses have them? If they have the scanners then why don't we have a QR code system in place?

Oh and has anyone tried to change their vaccine document then load it to their wallet? Remember the document can be changed.....

22 minutes ago, Robjame said:

After last season, Leaf's fans should not be taking shots at any teams! Even cellar-dwelling Sens. :classic_biggrin:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, K_e_short said:

O.k. so when did they get the scanners? Why don't all non essential businesses have them? If they have the scanners then why don't we have a QR code system in place?

Oh and has anyone tried to change their vaccine document then load it to their wallet? Remember the document can be changed.....

OK, so ask the owner why you don't have scanners yet. They aren't complex and they are commercially available. AFAIK, Ontario has no role in the purchase and distribution of the QR readers, that's up to the businesses.

The way way it works, you must download the OMH receipt directly using the Grassroots software, and it then generates the QR code and Apple Wallet pass, or photo for Android. As I already had a copy of the receipt downloaded, I tried to get the software to accept it, but there was no way of doing so. That being the case, the electronic version accepted by the software can not be changed prior to generating the pass/photo. Someone with enough computer smarts might be able to hack the program and accomplish a change, I suppose, but they could probably also hack the OMH database directly.  

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

O.k I'm confused.

Where did that restaurant get the technology to scan QR codes? 

I thought that the province of Ontario does not have a QR system in place.

The people that created the QR code for Apple wallet also created a verification app that can be downloaded by the venues. It is a lot faster to scan a QR code than to have to check the right spot on the pdf to show that you are fully vaccinated.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

O.k. so when did they get the scanners? Why don't all non essential businesses have them?

Cellphones will likely serve this purpose. 

The iPhone's camera app doubles as a QR code scanner, so businesses or employees with iPhones are set and ready to scan -- whether it's the Grassroots QR code, or the one that the Province of Ontario eventually provides each of us. 

I'm not familiar with Android phones, but in case they don't have built-in QR code readers, third party QR code reader apps can do the job.   

7 hours ago, lots-of-km2 said:

Cellphones will likely serve this purpose. 

Exactly!

At this time all the restaurant needs is a hostess with an iPhone. When she points her camera at the QR code she will see an image like this:

image.thumb.png.05d854b31de219621390914192abb3e0.png

• Like 1

The Apple Wallet and such are the way that most Carry around all those loyalty cards and credit cards without carrying the actual plastic. So those familiar with this technology are very used to using this sort of thing.

I might add that you may be asked for picture ID as well as vaccine verification of any kind so be prepared. A Drivers Licence is the obvious one.

6 minutes ago, Airbalancer said:

I tried to scan my wife’s pass with my phone , it can up red , not found 🤔

It worked for me.

Whenever I get stuck with iPhone stuff (which is often)  I ask my granddaughter who seems to live with an iPhone attached to her hand.