MSC service cutbacks over the years

JetGreen

3 minutes ago, Beamafar said:

We don’t get prices like that here.  MSC’s focus is on building its market share in the US - hence the low prices and special promotions.  

That’s too bad.
But we also have good pricing on the other mass market lines RCCL, NCL, HAL, Princess etc. 
I’m talking about balcony cabins. When you get into the Haven or YC type experiences on those other lines they are more expensive (usually) than MSC but for what you receive it’s all relative. 

6 hours ago, Geobugs said:

MSC prices have decreased over the past decade.

MSC Meraviglia, August 13, 7 day cruise, balcony cabin, cabin fare $350 plus taxes and port charges.

MSC still has excellent food, sometimes you have to go to a specialty dining room to experience it.

Baked Alaska parade is a gimmick and a fire hazard.

Midnight gala buffet is a waste of good food.  I prefer pizza that late.

Cabin stewards cleaned our room two or three times per day, with an evening turn down.

None of these complaints are service related, it is product related, and since the price of cruising has decreased, just pay for it, it is still cheaper.

Was that a dream you had about MSC pricing ? Since 2012 their prices have increased steadily, our Nine cruises increased in price year on year.

• Like 3

Quoting bargain prices for MSC at the moment isn’t evidence that there isn’t a trend of price increases as MSC, at the moment, can only sell current US sailings to those in the US.  Neither Canadians nor Europeans are eligible to cruise from US ports. MSC has no option but to make their prices as attractive as possible to get bodies on their US sailings.

How many times have people from the US posted here that they love the international mix onboard MSC US sailings?  Well, guess what, they’re not on them right now in the numbers that they usually are!

I remember a time when we used to get bargain basement prices, too, when MSC was growing it’s European base.  That policy is not required anymore;  they’re having no problem selling European sailings as travel restrictions that exist for tourists to the US don’t apply here.  

Edited by Beamafar
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, vistaman said:

bathroom amenities : replaced by dispensers  ( also done by a better hotel chain now ) 

I am sure this is being done by more than just one hotel chain.  Why?  It's for environmental purposes.  Fewer plastic bottles/tubes of soaps, shampoos, conditioners, etc, are needed.  I am also certain that there is a cost saving for the hotel chains by eliminating these small bottles/tubes.

But, this practice has "infected" other cruise lines and not just MSC.  

On Meraviglia. there were still some bathroom amenities that were in small plastic bottles.  At least, in January, 2020.  

On 9/25/2021 at 7:06 AM, JetGreen said:

Took my first cruise a decade ago in 2011: a week on the Western Mediterranean on the MSC Sinfonia. What I remember most about that cruise was the excellent food: 5/6 course dinners focusing on a different Italian region every evening with an appetizer, starter/soup, pasta/risotto, main course, desert and cheese. Dinners nowadays are a much quicker and simpler (almost industrial) affair, but it got me thinking about what else has been cut over the years from the standard MSC experience (YC may still have some of these):

- Baked Alaska parade at dinner (still remember it on a 2013/2014 cruise);

- Late evening/midnight gala buffet served on the open deck one night of the cruise (last seen around 2013 I think, at least on the smaller ships);

- Evening room turndown and fresh towels: probably what I miss the most. I think it was still done in 2019/2019 but no sign of it in 2021;

- Complimentary welcome cocktail(s) one evening early in the cruise (last seen in 2018/2019?);

- Bathrobes: don’t remember them ever being a regular offering on MSC but did have them once on the Presioza in 2013/2014;

- Drinks and especially drink packages going up in price dramatically (and decreasing in value due to reduced selection included).

Anything I have missed?

What you missed is that ALL cruiselines have had cutbacks through the years.

I remember the highlight of excitement was to get your cruise tickets in a special pouch delivered through the mail.

When you boarded, your cabin key was in a leather key holder.

ALL room service was free for everyone.  There were NO pay restaurants. You had assigned dining with the same people every night.

No extra charges for things like ice cream or fresh squeezed orange juice.

Chocolates included with your turn down service for every category.

Bingo cost $5. & the pot was the ENTIRE amount taken in. Pictures were $2.95.

This was for all cruise lines.

Did I miss something ???

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Shippy said:

What you missed is that ALL cruiselines have had cutbacks through the years.

Absolutely. I never said MSC was the only company with product/service cutbacks, but this happens to the MSC forum.

Edited by JetGreen

17 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

On Meraviglia. there were still some bathroom amenities that were in small plastic bottles.  At least, in January, 2020.  

No small bottles/soap bars in a standard (Fantastica) MSC Seaview cabin recently.

• Thanks 1