Pcr test OnBoard ?

dragonfly769

Hi, we are from Canada and we need a negative pcr test 72h before our flight to return to Canada. Someone can confirm to me that we can have a Pcr test onboard ship, one or two days before cruise debarkation day ? if yes do you have the price for the pcr test.

Thank You

49 minutes ago, dragonfly769 said:

Hi, we are from Canada and we need a negative pcr test 72h before our flight to return to Canada. Someone can confirm to me that we can have a Pcr test onboard ship, one or two days before cruise debarkation day ? if yes do you have the price for the pcr test.

Thank You

Carnival does not give tests so people can fly nor transfer to other cruiselines. You will have to arrange this for when you debark. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lagienomai said:

Following as I'm curious as well. We are doing a side by side cruise and trying to figure out how we are going to get our test for the second leg of the cruise.

If the sxs is also carnival then they will give you the test. Be sure they have you and check at customer service.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, dragonfly769 said:

Thank You

I am in the same boat....flying Canada to USA Oct 28 cruising Nov 1-6 then flying back same day we get into Port....very tricky and looking very costly...

Come on over to the Canadian section of this forum.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forum/2510-canadian-cruisers/

We have been discussing this issue a lot.

Carnival DOES NOT offer any covid testing for Canadian travellers who need a PCR test to fly home.

You'll need to get off the ship and get a test at the airport or another location before flying home.

There are rapid PCR tests at some airports but you'll need to make sure your flight leaves late enough that day to give you time to get to the airport, get a test, etc.

You didn't mention what airport you are flying out of. Have you tried searching for covid tests at that airport?

I’m in a similar situation- disembarking at Long Beach from Panorama on Nov 13th, flying back to Canada that day. My wife and I are having PCR testing done in Puerto Vallarta three days earlier(our last port stop) but within 72hrs of our scheduled flight departure time on the 13th. Cost is just under $100cdn each. 

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 5:02 PM, kellk said:

I’m in a similar situation- disembarking at Long Beach from Panorama on Nov 13th, flying back to Canada that day. My wife and I are having PCR testing done in Puerto Vallarta three days earlier(our last port stop) but within 72hrs of our scheduled flight departure time on the 13th. Cost is just under $100cdn each. 

That is good to know.

Also very good to know that it is WAY cheaper then any airport test.

Had to change our flight back to Canada from Lax to the day following to allow for the PSA test.

Where did you find the cheaper rate at P.V and are you comfortable with 

the risk associated with obtaining you test within the 72 hour window for international travel.?

Noted that there is no guarantee that Carnival will dock in PV in the order 

scheduled.

Unlike Princess and Celebrity ,Carnival don’t appear to be helping their passengers heading to international flights.

Would be willing to pay for the service on the last sea day .

• Like 1

On 9/25/2021 at 1:49 PM, lagienomai said:

Following as I'm curious as well. We are doing a side by side cruise and trying to figure out how we are going to get our test for the second leg of the cruise.

Was in the same situation.  Had a NCL/Celebrity side by side.  Celebrity requires the 48 hour results.  NCL was going to charge us 150 each for post cruise testing.  The other option would have been to get the Abbot tests and do the self test with cell phone authorization to India about 600 am on disembark morning.  Decided that it was just easier to cancel the NCL cruise (5 days on Joy) and make the Celebrity cruise a back to back  (now 12 days on Apex).

• Like 2

On 9/25/2021 at 1:11 PM, dragonfly769 said:

Thank You

No. The PCR test on board is only for those that show signs of infection. If you can use the rapid test. google covidclinic.org and see if one will be near you when you leave the ship. You can book a test way i advance. A rapid test result is within 2 hours.

• Like 1

On 9/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, kellk said:

I would not rely on getting that test.  Because of a propulsion system problem on the Panorama, they have been reversing all the stops with Puerto Vallarta being the first stop and Cabo being the last.   

• Like 1

I have a different solution to the problem. 

We were just on an Alaskan cruise, and DW was not feeling well. I pulled out the Abbott Binax Home Test, Set up her Navica account, took the test, got the result in 15 minutes, and the confirmation email/NAVICA notification in one hour. (She was negative).

All from our ships cabin. We did have HAL Premium WiFi, but from Alaska which is notoriously intermittent service. 

You may want to consider that approach. (Note: the Abbott SELF test sold in the drug stores are not proctored and are not valid for travel)

We are traveling to Rome soon, and will be taking a set of kits for our return Flight back - several days following the cruise. Easier than trying to find a testing facility in a strange / foreign port. And the testing is open 24/7/365 - just need a cell Phone/iPad/computer (with camera) & WiFi/Internet. 

The 6 pack costs $150 ($25/test) (eMed.com) - but be careful - as most (current) tests have expirations in late December/January (CDC approved 3 month extension from Expiration date listed on the box).

No telling when Abbott will be making/selling the next batch of tests.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, RGEDad said:

I have a different solution to the problem. 

We were just on an Alaskan cruise, and DW was not feeling well. I pulled out the Abbott Binax Home Test, Set up her Navica account, took the test, got the result in 15 minutes, and the confirmation email/NAVICA notification in one hour. (She was negative).

All from our ships cabin. We did have HAL Premium WiFi, but from Alaska which is notoriously intermittent service. 

You may want to consider that approach. (Note: the Abbott SELF test sold in the drug stores are not proctored and are not valid for travel)

We are traveling to Rome soon, and will be taking a set of kits for our return Flight back - several days following the cruise. Easier than trying to find a testing facility in a strange / foreign port. And the testing is open 24/7/365 - just need a cell Phone/iPad/computer (with camera) & WiFi/Internet. 

The 6 pack costs $150 ($25/test) (eMed.com) - but be careful - as most (current) tests have expirations in late December/January (CDC approved 3 month extension from Expiration date listed on the box).

No telling when Abbott will be making/selling the next batch of tests.

That is a great solution.

On the Canadian forum we have been discussing whether Canadians can use the test.

I'm not sure if you can have that test shipped to Canada but it was mentioned that you can't do the test in Canada, but if you were in the U.S. perhaps it would work?

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

On the Canadian forum we have been discussing whether Canadians can use the test.

I'm not sure if you can have that test shipped to Canada but it was mentioned that you can't do the test in Canada, but if you were in the U.S. perhaps it would work?

Hmmmm - In thinking about it - It is probably not where you take the test, but rather where they can ship it to. People take the test anywhere - in fact, Abbott has partnered with multiple airlines to enable air passengers to test prior to flying back to the US from anywhere.

It is from an American pharmaceutical company, and technically they provide a prescription as part of the application/shipping process. It pops up that your prescription has been approved during the ordering process/emails - just before you get the notice your order is accepted. processed, and shipped.

Things can get dicy shipping pharmaceuticals, drugs, medical stuff across the border.

Edited by RGEDad
Added link to K_e_short discussion

On 9/26/2021 at 2:02 PM, kellk said:

Please keep us advised as how this works out. Is the test at the hospital you can walk to from the cruise ship?

Edited by darren42
typos
  • Like 1

Where are you sailing from? I just booked an October sailing out of Miami and will use the Nomi Health lab that's located right at the cruise pier (well, it's on Dodge Island which is where all the ships dock). If you click 'register' on the appropriate location on this link, it will take you to their appointment booking engine https://nomihealth.com/covidsupport/ I need to email them tomorrow to confirm that Miami pricing is the same as Ft. Lauderdale (where they also do testing at the airport), but assuming it's the same, it should be $159 USD per person for  PCR test with results in 45 mins to an hour. 

• Like 1

On 9/27/2021 at 8:32 PM, ALWAYS CRUZIN said:

No. The PCR test on board is only for those that show signs of infection. If you can use the rapid test. google covidclinic.org and see if one will be near you when you leave the ship. You can book a test way i advance. A rapid test result is within 2 hours.

Canada requires a PCR test to enter so the rapid antigen is not an option.  This is why i didn't book return flights till 3 days after i disembark to allow for time to get it.  Once i disembark i will go to LAX get the test then go to my hotel to book in and enjoy 2 and a half days at Disney till my return flight.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2021 at 11:48 PM, Ginnyfyr said:

Where are you sailing from? I just booked an October sailing out of Miami and will use the Nomi Health lab that's located right at the cruise pier (well, it's on Dodge Island which is where all the ships dock). If you click 'register' on the appropriate location on this link, it will take you to their appointment booking engine https://nomihealth.com/covidsupport/ I need to email them tomorrow to confirm that Miami pricing is the same as Ft. Lauderdale (where they also do testing at the airport), but assuming it's the same, it should be $159 USD per person for  PCR test with results in 45 mins to an hour. 

Little update - I used the chat feature on the Nomi health website and was thrilled to learn that they only charge for testing at the airports. Testing at their location on Dodge island is free! 

On 9/29/2021 at 9:23 PM, darren42 said:

Please keep us advised as how this works out. Is the test at the hospital you can walk to from the cruise ship?

yes, it's at the Hospital Joya Marina, a few minutes from the cruise dock.

3 hours ago, kellk said:

yes, it's at the Hospital Joya Marina, a few minutes from the cruise dock.

and I have to apologize on the amount- it is $2499 Mex peso each, which currently works out to about $153cdn each.

On 9/27/2021 at 9:15 PM, vwwolfe said:

I would not rely on getting that test.  Because of a propulsion system problem on the Panorama, they have been reversing all the stops with Puerto Vallarta being the first stop and Cabo being the last.   

Thanks, I did see that had occurred with some of the earlier cruises, however our current itinerary shows it as being unchanged.

On 9/25/2021 at 2:03 PM, firefly333 said:

If the sxs is also carnival then they will give you the test. Be sure they have you and check at customer service.

That is true if it's a true side to side (meaning getting off of one Carnival ship and getting on another one the same day).

We had a unique situation where we decided to spontaneously schedule a 4 day "pre-cruise cruise" on the Carnival Liberty the week before our 8 day on the Carnival Magic in January 2022.  Problem was the Liberty cruise was ending on a Friday and the Magic was not until the next day.  So we checked with Carnival and they would not agree to test us for the Magic cruise since we were getting off the Liberty the day BEFORE.

We ended up just canceling the Liberty and instead switched to the Magic the week before for a true B2B. 🙂