Live from Horizon. Take 2

jimbo5544

Before I sum up our cruise a little more about our added guest.  While we have known Sam a good while, we (he and I) became close after we retired and moved to our Florida home which was next to him.  His wife had passed away recently and Sam and I became closer.  He always asked about our journey’s on cruises and finally said he wanted to try it.  Covid put a squash on the three cruises we had scheduled with him, but we finally got to go.  He will be 91 on Tuesday, very active and rides a bike 5 miles a day.  He had experienced nothing like a Carnival cruise (two Viking cruises).  The man is a trooper and has enviable traits.  He had a good time, but think he was relieved when we dropped him off when we returned.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, KmomChicago said:

Jimbo! @jimbo5544Hope to hear more about your special guest. Was he in the same room as you to keep the spend down? Or did he get his own place, and if so, did you stick close together or spread out? During the cruise, same question? Did y'all pal around for the most part or just check in periodically? Could you 'splain to me why your balcony cabin is not configured like a balcony cabin at all. . . and some hints about the dollar differential for that? (I know it's probably not good). (Kmom = Cheapo)

I know you are a HMC expert. . . we are going for the first time on our Christmas cruise on the Legend and I did get us a cabana. My mom is ambulatory but not by much. I understand a golf cart will bring you over from the tender dock if requested and once she gets situated she'll mostly stay put until time to shuttle back onboard. I also will hit up shore excursions as soon as we board and try to get one of the accessibles, but  we can work around (with some difficulty) if we end up with a regular one. Can you tell me if restrooms are near the cabanas? Having to trudge a long distance in case of a plumbing emergency will be an issue and that location might be more important than a fully accessible cabana.

After first stating she "really didn't care about another tropical beach," after I showed her what I'd already booked and paid for this is obviously going to be one of the major highlights for her.  We are at the point where I assume every vacation she assents to will be her last, because the value ratio of effort to enjoyment is close to critical mass for her so would like to do all I can to make it a wonderful day for her.

Sam was in the room next to us.  While the cost was a strong consideration, he wanted his own room and we wanted…to be sure e could keep an eye on him.  He was with us a lot. All meals and we we shied away from a lot of walking excursions.  Think i covered the room questions, but will cover it again.  Aft wraps are pricey, and since there are only 8, these are the first rooms to go.  Havana rooms are more and the aft wraps are more again, it depends how much, but not cheap.  

HMC, certainly not an expert, they will drop you right at your cabana.  They can also supply a beach wheel chair.  You do have select the one you want when you board.  Unless you are doing a villa, pick something close bathrooms. There are bathrooms near cabana 8 I think.  GS will have a map and can show you specifically.  HMC is a joy, and we love it, but there is the getting to it and returning.  He was glad we did it..

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We had a great cruise, this was our third since cruising resumed.  I had to say everybody did a great jib with masks, better than our last cruise.  The ship was about half full and it was noticeable.  I would strongly recommend anyone thinking about it to go do it.  Where else can you vacation where everybody is vaccinated and tested.  DO iT

• Like 6

1 hour ago, jimbo5544 said:

We had a great cruise, this was our third since cruising resumed.  I had to say everybody did a great jib with masks, better than our last cruise.  The ship was about half full and it was noticeable.  I would strongly recommend anyone thinking about it to go do it.  Where else can you vacation where everybody is vaccinated and tested.  DO iT

Totally agree!

• Like 2

3 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

Agree. I felt safer cruising with vaxxed people than home with less than half vaxx in my county.

• Like 2

We have two land trips in the next two months and the next cruise for us (so far….) is an Aft Excel suite (15th floor) on the Mardi Gras 1/23.  Almost jumped on some insane pricing for cruises, but decided to pass.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Jamman54 said:

Thanks for taking us along for the ride again Jimbo, and we strongly agree that now is the time to go! 😎

My pleasure Jeff.  We need to work on sailing together again.  Saw your future sailings, need to intersect them somewhere.