Is There a Capacity Minimum that Must Be Reached or A Cruise is Cancelled?

teacherman

13 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Yes this 2-day testing time frame is a big issue even with the at-home tests.  It is usual to fly in the day before.  It does not give people flying a significant distance with connections much of a chance to test before they leave home.  Testing after flying to the port city is OK for some but too much of a risk for others.  What happens if you get a positive test?  How do you get home or quarantine? Celebrity will only take care of you if you test positive once you are on board.  Not before check in.  

There really is no big issue if you do the test at home.  There's hardly any issue at all.  You do it the day before you fly--at home--and it takes about a half hour, soup to nuts.  I'm sailing on a Monday, flying on the Sunday before, and will test at home the Saturday before that.  The test is sitting on my counter waiting on that Saturday to come.

If you are flying two days from sailing, yeah, then you have some complications.  That said, you can wake up an hour earlier and do the test before heading out.  

6 minutes ago, DCPIV said:

There really is no big issue if you do the test at home.  There's hardly any issue at all.  You do it the day before you fly--at home--and it takes about a half hour, soup to nuts.  I'm sailing on a Monday, flying on the Sunday before, and will test at home the Saturday before that.  The test is sitting on my counter waiting on that Saturday to come.

If you are flying two days from sailing, yeah, then you have some complications.  That said, you can wake up an hour earlier and do the test before heading out.  

Not everybody has a non-stop flight option the day before.  Some need to travel a distance.  That is all I am pointing out here.  It is more complicated and risky for some.  The majority will make it work.

1 minute ago, TeeRick said:

Not everybody has a non-stop flight option the day before.  Some need to travel a distance.  That is all I am pointing out here.  It is more complicated and risky for some.  The majority will make it work.

You still take the test the day before.  What does a non-stop flight or connection have to do with that?  Even if you are flying halfway around the world with two-hour drive to the airport, there's plenty of opportunity to do the test at home and have results in hand before leaving.

If you are trying to work in a test from a pharmacy, I get it.  That's trickier (although it always was "two days" or "48 hours" for an antigen test, even when 72 hours from PCR).  However, we're talking about the at-home test.  It takes half an hour at your own home.

5 hours ago, canderson said:

Seems that taking a proctored self test along and using it once reaching departure city would work in most cases.  Won't tell you if you should get on the plane to begin with, but solves the timing problem otherwise.

Not me.  If necessary, I will take two tests.  I will make sure I have a negative test before I fly to my embarkation port.  

5 minutes ago, jagoffee said:

Not me.  If necessary, I will take two tests.  I will make sure I have a negative test before I fly to my embarkation port.  

Didn't suggest a 2 test method wasn't a good idea, just that traveling with the proctored test would deal with problem pre-boarding testing with longer travel itineraries getting to the port.  As noted, it won't help with deciding to get onto the plane to begin with.

Edited by canderson
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, zitsky said:

I hope to fly into Lisbon 3 days early so I have to find a solution there.  We are traveling with friends so we will all look for the same solution.  (Doctor's office or urgent care, not sure.)

Get the Optum test kit and just take it with you. 

13 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok I will read about that.  Thanks.

I'm actually in the middle of one at the moment (15 minute waiting period). It's a little awkward at first, but it actually turned out to be fairly simple. I'll gladly do it again for my next sailing. 

14 hours ago, zitsky said:

Ok I will read about that.  Thanks.

Just to give you a quick rundown . . . .  You'll need an internet connection robust enough to do a virtual meeting, so that could be an issue.  You'll also need a Navica account.  While it encourages you to get the Navica app, that's not required for the testing as far as I could tell.  It is a bit handy for showing results, although results also are sent to your email in a very printable form.

Other than that, you just need your kit, clean hands, a flat surface to do everything (that can be viewed by the camera you're using), and about a half hour of your time.  The most awkward part of the whole process was having to partially close my laptop so as to angle the camera at the flat surface (so the proctor could see everything done), and that was awkward only because I also was trying to look at the instructions posted on the screen.

The whole thing took around 25 minutes, and that included logging in to eMed for the first time.