Rotterdam or Enchanted ?

nimiq

Hello all,

I know both ship are brand new but what are your thoughts if I have to select one. 
To be honest we are booked on the Rotterdam but a new pricing on the Enchanted just arrived and made 

us think of potentially changing before our final payment on the Rotterdam.

Rotterdam is 11 nights sailing through Xmas and New Years as Enchanted is 10 nights 

only going through Xmas. 

Itineraries are not as important for us at this point because they have been modifying them

On different ships since the beginning of the cruise return. 
Price wise of course Enchanted is a bit cheaper as it is sailing only though one holiday. 

We have done both the Pinnacle and the Royal class in the pre/COVID world  but with the slight changes to both 

these new ships what’s the thing that would make you choose one ship from the other ? 

To make it fair will post this on the Princess chat as well.

Thanks all for your input 

Sea Ya 

Eric 

By your signature I see that you've been on the other Pinnacle class ships of HAL.  I am guessing but I think that Enchanted Princess is the same class ship as Regal Princess.  Seems you have an advantage over me on this one.  We are doing Rotterdam in November 2021 and Regal in January 2022 so I'll have more info then.  Right now though, knowing Princess to a lesser extent than HAL, I would choose Rotterdam for the smaller passenger load and what I know of the entertainment on board.  It's hard to beat BB Kings, RSRR and/or Lincoln Center Stage, unless you prefer the stage shows, where I think Princess might have an advantage, in number of shows, at least.  Then there is the Pinnacle Grill, Tamarind, Nami Sushi, Rudi's, Grand Dutch Cafe, NY Deli and Pizza while Princess has the International Cafe, Crown Grill, Sabatini's.   Either way, can you go wrong?  😁

Edited by 0bnxshs
  • Like 2

We’ve sailed on both Royal and Regal Princess, which are the same class as Enchanted.  We have sailed on Koningsdam a few times, which is the same class as Rotterdam.  I would recommend Rotterdam.  Except for the twenty four hour International Cafe, Rotterdam will have more to offer passengers who want to just sit and relax.  The Lido pool area and the open deck above are fabulous!  

HAL food and service are just a notch above Princess.  Decor is very pleasing on both ships.  HAL cabins, especially the bathrooms, are superior.  Love seat or sofa in every cabin above interior (only Pinnacle class ships do not offer a sofa in the standard interior).  Balconies on Royal class ships are tiny!  HAL offers much bigger balconies.  

However, Princess and HAL both offer a wonderful cruise experience, and it really is just a matter of taste which one is preferable.  Enjoy your cruise on whatever ship you choose!

• Like 1

We are 5 Star Mariners on HAL and long time Elite on Princess so obviously enjoy both lines.  The OPs question would be difficult for us if all were about equal.  We love the International Cafe on Princess and this is our daily hang-out.  There is nothing like it on HAL.  However, the Enchanted (like the other Royal Class) will have postage stamp sized balconies (they are very shallow) and Princess no longer has any chairs in the normal balcony cabins (only a single chair for the make-up/desk area.  So for some reason that defies logic (in my ole mind) Princess does not think that two people in a cabin should be able to sit down at the same time (unless one sits on the bed).  So if booking a regular balcony cabin we would probably opt for the Rotterdam.  However, if going to a larger cabin such as a mini suite on the Enchanted (they type cabin we would book) we would opt for the Enchanted.   And then you have the issues of Club Class on Princess vs Club Orange on HAL.  All of this would factor into our decision so we do think cabin category matters a lot in this decision.

There is one more issue that is a huge negative for HAL (all ships).  HAL has (at least prior to COVID) abandoned the idea of production shows in the main theater.  HAL seems to think that showing a documentary movie suffices for the main evening entertainment and with this we do not agree.  So, if entertainment is an important issue for the OP they might want to book the Enchanted.

Hank

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

We are 5 Star Mariners on HAL and long time Elite on Princess so obviously enjoy both lines.  The OPs question would be difficult for us if all were about equal.  We love the International Cafe on Princess and this is our daily hang-out.  There is nothing like it on HAL.  However, the Enchanted (like the other Royal Class) will have postage stamp sized balconies (they are very shallow) and Princess no longer has any chairs in the normal balcony cabins (only a single chair for the make-up/desk area.  So for some reason that defies logic (in my ole mind) Princess does not think that two people in a cabin should be able to sit down at the same time (unless one sits on the bed).  So if booking a regular balcony cabin we would probably opt for the Rotterdam.  However, if going to a larger cabin such as a mini suite on the Enchanted (they type cabin we would book) we would opt for the Enchanted.   And then you have the issues of Club Class on Princess vs Club Orange on HAL.  All of this would factor into our decision so we do think cabin category matters a lot in this decision.

There is one more issue that is a huge negative for HAL (all ships).  HAL has (at least prior to COVID) abandoned the idea of production shows in the main theater.  HAL seems to think that showing a documentary movie suffices for the main evening entertainment and with this we do not agree.  So, if entertainment is an important issue for the OP they might want to book the Enchanted.

Hank

Hank yes we had noticed the lack of shows in the main HAL show room  on Koningsdam  .They had a BBC film  one with 4 dancers & special  lighting effects  another night , when we were last on in 2-19 before the pandemic   .The dancers were very good but ,we do like production shows better   .We have 2 cruises booked on  Discovery B2B   Mexico (just don' t like  day cruises alone) December  2022 & Konoingsdam  Jan31,2023 18  night Hawaii . We do like the larger balconies on Koningdam  but we are getting the bigger balcony stateroom on Discovery so we should have a decent balcony size 

9 minutes ago, mcrcruiser said:

Hank yes we had noticed the lack of shows in the main HAL show room  on Koningsdam  .They had a BBC film  one with 4 dancers & special  lighting effects  another night , when we were last on in 2-19 before the pandemic   .The dancers were very good but ,we do like production shows better   .We have 2 cruises booked on  Discovery B2B   Mexico (just don' t like  day cruises alone) December  2022 & Konoingsdam  Jan31,2023 18  night Hawaii . We do like the larger balconies on Koningdam  but we are getting the bigger balcony stateroom on Discovery so we should have a decent balcony size 

This issue with HAL's decision to do away with production shows is something that continues to puzzle me.  On their new ships, HAL built large theaters with high tech stages meant to host real shows.  Rather then doing away with the show perhaps they should have improved the production shows :).  It is amazing (at least to me) that a small ship line like Seabourn (tightly allied with HAL) does their best to produce decent shows.  Even a 450 passenger Seabourn ship has 4 professional singers and usually 2 dancers as well as a pretty decent band that works some of the shows.  They use a decent British production company (Belinda King) to produce and staff their shows and perhaps HAL might consider something similar.

Hank

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

This issue with HAL's decision to do away with production shows is something that continues to puzzle me.  On their new ships, HAL built large theaters with high tech stages meant to host real shows.  Rather then doing away with the show perhaps they should have improved the production shows :).  It is amazing (at least to me) that a small ship line like Seabourn (tightly allied with HAL) does their best to produce decent shows.  Even a 450 passenger Seabourn ship has 4 professional singers and usually 2 dancers as well as a pretty decent band that works some of the shows.  They use a decent British production company (Belinda King) to produce and staff their shows and perhaps HAL might consider something similar.

Hank

Hank  management must save   money  by doing  other than the stage shows ;however ,that does distract from  the over all HAL experience . Perhaps ,if enough  people complain then they may bring back decent stage  shows .The Best large stage productions we have seen have been Carnival & Princess & Royal  Caribbean  .We have sailed on all those lines & many many Celebrity ships .Celebrity has good shows but not a lot of singers & dancers more singles types 

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Prinsendam did the same, Hank.  They had some solo performers and while the shows were small, they were good quality.

A shame that the ship left as they reminded me of the HAL of old with the quality of service, food and entertainment.  The ship might not have had a lot of bells and whistles but it’s PG and Canaletto were memorable and the staff were a joy.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

Prinsendam did the same, Hank.  They had some solo performers and while the shows were small, they were good quality.

A shame that the ship left as they reminded me of the HAL of old with the quality of service, food and entertainment.  The ship might not have had a lot of bells and whistles but it’s PG and Canaletto were memorable and the staff were a joy.

You and I have previously lamented the loss of the Prinsendam.  It represented exactly 200 or my HAL days and DW and I considered it among our favorite vessels of the more then 70 upon which we have cruised.  It broke my cruising heart when HAL got rid of the ship, but we understood the reasons.  The last time we embarked on that ship one of the crew members (who knew us from previous voyages) greeted us with a "welcome home."  That ship also had our favorite beverage manager who is now an officer on MSC.  When a few of us complained that they did not have any cans of Guinness aboard (they only had bottles which are not as good) he purchased a few cases at the next port (most of which was quickly hoarded by an Irish passenger/friend.  Such was the life on the Prinsendam.   Captain Gundersen once told me he did not want to be the Master of any other cruise ship and kept that promise by retiring before the ship was restired.

Hank

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

You and I have previously lamented the loss of the Prinsendam.  It represented exactly 200 or my HAL days and DW and I considered it among our favorite vessels of the more then 70 upon which we have cruised.  It broke my cruising heart when HAL got rid of the ship, but we understood the reasons.  The last time we embarked on that ship one of the crew members (who knew us from previous voyages) greeted us with a "welcome home."  That ship also had our favorite beverage manager who is now an officer on MSC.  When a few of us complained that they did not have any cans of Guinness aboard (they only had bottles which are not as good) he purchased a few cases at the next port (most of which was quickly hoarded by an Irish passenger/friend.  Such was the life on the Prinsendam.   Captain Gundersen once told me he did not want to be the Master of any other cruise ship and kept that promise by retiring before the ship was restired.

Hank

We are like you - more than 200 days on that ship and I am so glad we got on one last time.  It was the 2nd or 3rd last cruise for the ship and the crew were in tears when we said good bye.  And we were too.

I felt for them as some had told me how long they had been on the ship and how will they adapt to giving lesser service.  I have never cried when I left a cruise ship but I confess I had some in my eyes. As did the crew.

As to Captain Gundersen - I completely agree.  I had the pleasure to do a focus group as well as dine with him and his position was very clear.  The Prinsendam was his baby.  He came with it and Seattle was not going to tell them what to do.  Prime example - they needed new tables for the MDR.  Seattle said ok here’s money for 8 tops.  They took the money and created two tops as they knew that was what people wanted.  Completely agree about Captain Gundersen and Captain Dag said the same things as Captain Gundersen.  Give me  a smooth riding ship that can cut the waves and a bridge open to the ocean and the ports.  

He too retired from HAL and soon after I heard he was on another ship.  I will say that Captain Dag kept the Prinsendam what it was all about and adding the Meet and Greet at your cabins with crew staff.  Very, very nice. 

I hope HAL brings the smaller ships up to the level of the Prinsendam with service, meals & care.  I can dream can’t I? 😉 

• Like 2

Wow !! So far you guys have given me great things to think about and all your comments are welcomed. FYI this post seem to get more attention on the HAL side than the Princess ….Could this be because HAL cruisers are more passionate when taking about ships 🚢

Thanks 

Sea Ya 

• Like 2