Day 2 test from 4th October

Bin man

Yes that's supposed to be what's happening but until they decide to change the date towards end of October for half term you just don't know where you stand do you hold your nerve and wait to see what happens 

15 minutes ago, davecttr said:

As i understand it the test will be a LFT, somewhat cheaper hopefully.

Cheaper - not a chance when they will all act together and set a similar price to the PCR, so you have no choice as you need one for the form.

Well all I can add that may help is that we ordered our PCR tests from Boots a few days prior to boarding Britannia on 25th September.  We paid £68 each and received them in the post within 24hours of ordering and we know they are the legitimate item required by the government.  
I have placed them beside the bathroom washbasin so that we cannot forget to do them when we arrive home amongst the chaos of unpacking and opening a fortnights post !!

In our experience, bearing in mind the efficiency of the quick delivery we received, if you are prepared to wait to see what transpires and then order if necessary you should receive your tests very promptly.

From ABTA website-

From 4am on Monday 4 October 2021, there will be a new, simple system for international travel. The current traffic light system which lists countries as green, amber and red will be replaced. The previous green and amber lists will become the ‘rest of the world’ or ‘non-red list’ countries and a single ‘red list’ of countries and territories will remain. 

There will also be changes to the testing requirements when returning from a non-red list country, if you are fully vaccinated:

From 4am on Monday 4 October, you will no longer need to take a pre-departure test in the three days before you return to the UK.
From the end of October, you will no longer need to take a PCR test on day two of your arrival in England or Scotland – instead you will need to take a lateral flow test (which is cheaper). If the lateral flow test is positive, you will need to isolate and take a confirmatory PCR test at no additional cost. The aim is for this to be in place when people return from their holidays this October half-term. Wales and Northern Ireland have not yet announced if PCR tests will be replaced with lateral flow tests. 
In the UK, ‘fully vaccinated’ means it has been at least 14 days since you received the full course of an approved vaccine such as Pfizer, AstraZeneca or Janssen. You can show proof of vaccination in England and Wales using the NHS COVID Pass (which you can get via the free NHS App in England), by getting a record of your COVID-19 vaccination status in Scotland, or through the NI COVID certification service in Northern Ireland. Make sure you check what proof of vaccination your destination accepts, or if you’ll need to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test, by checking the entry requirements for the country you’re visiting at www.gov.uk/foreigntraveladvice. Visit the Government’s website for more information on demonstrating your COVID-19 vaccination status when travelling abroad.

If you’re unvaccinated or not fully vaccinated, there are currently no changes to the testing or quarantine requirements. This means, if you’re arriving into the UK from a non-red list country, you will still need to take a pre-departure test, a PCR test on day two and day eight, and quarantine at home for 10 days. If you’re arriving in England, you do still have the option to use the Test to Release scheme on day five. 

Arrivals into the UK from red list countries remain the same. You will still have to take a pre-departure test and pre-book a mandatory 11-night quarantine hotel package, which will include two PCR tests, taken on day two and day eight, regardless of your vaccination status.

All travellers, regardless of their vaccination status and the country they are travelling from, will still need to complete a passenger locator form any time in the 48 hours before they arrive in the UK.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Other social media forums are saying that no one ever follows up if you don't send the tests in, and certainly there is no problem if the samples arrive late.  Not saying that you should not do the tests, but there is no panic to do them the moment you get home. 

6 minutes ago, Billish said:

Other social media forums are saying that no one ever follows up if you don't send the tests in, and certainly there is no problem if the samples arrive late.  Not saying that you should not do the tests, but there is no panic to do them the moment you get home. 

The main purpose of buying a test is for the reference number required by the PLF, and frankly I do not believe the government is tracing every code entered onto those forms back to ‘000000AAAAAAA Medical COVID Test Company (made up as an example) Ltd’ and all the similar companies set up to exploit this money making opportunity and are listed on the official government website - https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/test-type/green

9 minutes ago, picsa said:

The main purpose of buying a test is for the reference number required by the PLF, and frankly I do not believe the government is tracing every code entered onto those forms back to ‘000000AAAAAAA Medical COVID Test Company (made up as an example) Ltd’ and all the similar companies set up to exploit this money making opportunity and are listed on the official government website - https://www.find-travel-test-provider.service.gov.uk/test-type/green

My thoughts exactly.

We arrive back in the UK on the 23rd October, so will have to do the day 2 PCR test as it stands at the moment,  we will not know before we travel if it will be changed to the cheaper LFT  as the date for the change has not been confirmed other than the end of October . The government should have given a date when they announced it would change, it just creates  uncertainty when really there is no need. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LLOM said:

We arrive back in the UK on the 23rd October, so will have to do the day 2 PCR test as it stands at the moment,  we will not know before we travel if it will be changed to the cheaper LFT  as the date for the change has not been confirmed other than the end of October . The government should have given a date when they announced it would change, it just creates  uncertainty when really there is no need. 

We go to Minorca on 8th and return in 15th. We have purchased out 2 day PCR through TUI for £20 each. If the government change it to LFT before we get home, tough. They will get what we have already organised.

Zap99, thank you for your reply, we went on a cruise with TUI a few weeks ago and bought the kit through Chronomics at £20 per kit also, we did the 2nd day test and dropped it off at one of their stores, unfortunately P&O do not offer a similar arrangement.

• Thanks 1

We will be ordering the Day 2 LFT (lateral flow tests) I think it was £18 from Collinson group Gov approved with easyjet promo code .

Its getting better with tests I went away in May and had to pay £386 for tests and then 10 day isolation of which I was called every day to see I was abiding by rules.

I have just come back from Corfu and 2 tests cost £66 cheaper but still a pain getting it all together.

The trick is to have that ref number for the day 2 test whilst you fill out the PLF abroad for your return as otherwise you will not get the fit to fly certificate that you have to show in airport.

Edited by gandalf1
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, LLOM said:

Zap99, thank you for your reply, we went on a cruise with TUI a few weeks ago and bought the kit through Chronomics at £20 per kit also, we did the 2nd day test and dropped it off at one of their stores, unfortunately P&O do not offer a similar arrangement.

Thank you. We have used chromonics. We won't know until we get it on our return what to do with it. I'm sure we will cope. Apart from the vaccination proof, Spanish form , UK form, arranging PCR test, getting a new passport, it's all fairly straight forward.🤣. First time on a plane for 2 years, so getting excited.

22 minutes ago, gandalf1 said:

The trick is to have that ref number for the day 2 test whilst you fill out the PLF abroad for your return as otherwise you will not get the fit to fly certificate that you have to show in airport.

So how many Border Force staff will be needed at Southampton next Saturday to check the 2,500 passengers off Iona have completed their forms and allow disembarkation to complete in the normal time, given that you don’t normally see a single one?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, picsa said:

So how many Border Force staff will be needed at Southampton next Saturday to check the 2,500 passengers off Iona have completed their forms and allow disembarkation to complete in the normal time, given that you don’t normally see a single one?

There could be some spot checks but the onus may well be on the cruise line to ensure they’re completed before arrival, as it is with airlines.

2 hours ago, gumshoe958 said:

There could be some spot checks but the onus may well be on the cruise line to ensure they’re completed before arrival, as it is with airlines.

Agreed, but seriously,  are P&O going to check the details of every passenger.  Of course not.

The PTB are expecting all us law abiding Brits to follow the rules, whereas in practice,  no one will check. 

5 hours ago, Billish said:

Agreed, but seriously,  are P&O going to check the details of every passenger.  Of course not.

The PTB are expecting all us law abiding Brits to follow the rules, whereas in practice,  no one will check. 

Airlines can be fined £2,000 for every passenger they carry who doesn’t have a completed PLF.

I have no idea whether the same applies to cruise lines but if it does, yes, I think it’s entirely possible that P&O will check that everyone’s done it.  

Edited by gumshoe958
  • Like 1

57 minutes ago, Caravan 37 said:

No need for the 2 days PCR tests as of today from Spain/Portugal 🤦🏻‍♀️

I paid £110 for 2 on Saturday 😏

Sorry, that is 100% wrong. You still need to do Day 2 tests when returning from Green countries. 

1 hour ago, Caravan 37 said:

No need for the 2 days PCR tests as of today from Spain/Portugal 🤦🏻‍♀️

I paid £110 for 2 on Saturday 😏

you still need the 2 day PCR until 'somewhen' at the end of October

• Like 1