Room Service Trays

debnrick

Anyone keep the room service tray and use it to take with them to the Lido Buffet? We were thinking of doing this so we could carry our breakfast and/or lunch items to eat out on our balcony. Would be much simpler than the balancing act. Wondering what kind of dirty looks we’d get or if Carnival poo-poo’s this idea. Thoughts???

Be worth a try! I don't understand why they did away with trays in the buffet, have to make multiple trips to get your food, your drink, your dessert, your cutlery and napkin.  Less for the staff to deal with when cleaning off the tables? 

2 hours ago, Gayle V said:

You might want to write up a sticky note, and attach it to the tray,  telling your cabin steward leave the tray in you cabin.  Otherwise he'll take it away when he cleans up.

No, Carnival asks us not to leave the trays in the cabins as it is not the job of the steward to handle and move property of the food and beverage department. Carnival asks that trays be left in the hallway against the wall outside your door and to cover it up with one of the linen napkins that came with your order. The room service staff patrol the halls and take the dishes back to the galley for washing and restocking. 

OP, people here on Cruise Critic have said for years they save and put one tray in their cabin closet to use just as you describe. 

Edited by sanmarcosman

3 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

I don't understand why they did away with trays in the buffet, have to make multiple trips to get your food, your drink, your dessert, your cutlery and napkin. 

Because people take and waste less food if they don't have a tray to pile multiple plates of food on. And one less thing to wash.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, nlktx49 said:

Be worth a try! I don't understand why they did away with trays in the buffet, have to make multiple trips to get your food, your drink, your dessert, your cutlery and napkin.  Less for the staff to deal with when cleaning off the tables? 

I remember when they eliminated them.  The "reason" they gave was that they didn't want the buffet to be like a cafeteria.  They wanted it to be more of a dining experience.  The bottom line is less things to have to wash and restock.  

• Like 2

My elderly parents cruise with us. I also pack a tray to take for the trip. I go and get them coffee and breakfast in the morning so they don’t have to get up early. I have never had a problem using the tray. In fact, most people say they wished they though you bring one! 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

No, Carnival asks us not to leave the trays in the cabins as it is not the job of the steward to handle and move property of the food and beverage department. Carnival asks that trays be left in the hallway against the wall outside your door and to cover it up with one of the linen napkins that came with your order. The room service staff patrol the halls and take the dishes back to the galley for washing and restocking. 

OP, people here on Cruise Critic have said for years they save and put one tray in their cabin closet to use just as you describe. 

I have always heard the opposite of leaving the trays in the hallway. The halls are narrow and could cause a tripping hazard along with people not paying attention, besides making the hallways look bad. I understand carnival wants you to leave them in the room. I believe this was addressed recently by John Heald

3 minutes ago, jb8162 said:

I have always heard the opposite of leaving the trays in the hallway. The halls are narrow and could cause a tripping hazard along with people not paying attention, besides making the hallways look bad. I understand carnival wants you to leave them in the room. I believe this was addressed recently by John Heald

Carnival wants you to leave the trays in the hallway, not the cabin. This has been addressed by John Heald many, many times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, jb8162 said:

What some may want and what Carnival requires are not the same. Happy Cruises

18 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

This is correct, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the steward took the tray anyway. If you don't want it taken, leaving a note is best (or put it in the closet or something).

1 hour ago, jb8162 said:

Baloney. JH has said numerous times to leave them in the hall.

As for tripping, people need to watch where they are walking. A bigger hazard are the numerous scooters that people illegally park in the narrow halls that interfere with cabin steward carts.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Pyxie said:

This is correct, but I still wouldn't be surprised if the steward took the tray anyway. If you don't want it taken, leaving a note is best (or put it in the closet or something).

I said to leave the tray in the closet 🙂