Worthwhile excursions on Costa Maya and Cozumel

thesnoopster2

With Covid and all that crap, what are the best excursions currently available?  There are always some that are worth it and some that are not.  I'm looking for suggestions on ones I should consider and why, and which ones I should stay away from.  Like I had a tequila tour I did a few years ago.  It was $50 for 3 hours so I thought that was fun.

Also, I have a 20-month old I am taking on the cruise.  So, in addition, what ones are child friendly?  We may or may not leave the toddler on the boat in daycare, but if we take him with us, I would like to know what ones are child friendly.  Something that would keep him entertained and such.

Oh my.  My response is being given as a mother first, and cruiser second.  With "Covid and all that crap" I, for one, would not venture forth into Cozumel with, or without, my 20 month old.  Cozumel just went to "yellow" status a few weeks ago and while they are doing what they can, the rate of vaccinations vs the US is much, much lower. Yes, there are visible signs that folks in Coz are taking steps to stop the spread the overall level of preparedness is NOT the same as in the US.  (And, yes, I'm the gal who refused to drink the soda they brought me last week in Coz b/c it was poured over ice. I mean, really?  Are you kidding me?  Give me the can already folks, unopened, thanks.)

Even if you could check in the little one in daycare while you are off the boat (NOT even sure if this is possible) I would NEVER do it.  I was on a Disney ship once where the kids were in daycare and the parents were 2 hours late getting back to the ship in Nassau.  The captain would have left them stranded had it not been for the kids.  The parents were confined to their cabin for the balance of the cruise.  That being said, there's lots of things that could happen while you are onshore and I (PERSONAL OPINION ONLY) wouldn't want my toddler on a ship under the care of someone else during that time.  

Also, from personal experience cruising with a child as a single parent - seat belts are often cut OUT of the backs of taxis b/c it takes a second longer for the passenger to get ready.  Can't tell you how many times I got out of cabs b/c of this (cue the eye-rolling of the taxi driver.)  Are you planning on brining a car seat?  The taxis likely won't take you.  

The days of bar hopping, cheap tequila tasting, and such might be in your rear-view mirror for a while, I'm afraid.  20 month olds don't have enough immunity yet from the world, let alone a virus such as "Covid and all that crap" ---- in my non medical opinion. (Though Dr. Mom is certainly a title I hold).  I'd enjoy quiet time on the ship, put the baby in swim diapers and splash around the toddler pool safely on the boat.  There'll be another time for Cozumel.

• Like 10

5 minutes ago, Morgsmom said:

Oh my.  My response is being given as a mother first, and cruiser second... 

Your post oozes common sense throughout, as a father of three now adult children I commend you for the sensitive way you responded to the OP....well written, and well said!

• Like 4

We found an excursion put on by The Native Choice in Costa Maya that includes a visit to the ruins at Chacchoben and then lunch in the nearby Mayan village.  They also get good reviews on another travel site.

Don't know how kid friendly it would be.

Edited by KennyFla

Nachi Cocoms in Cozumel is a relaxing beach resort that is highly rated.  We are going on the MSC Chacchoben ruins tour in Costa Maya.  We've been to Costa Maya before and took a cab to the beach and had lunch at the many restaurants that face the beach.  

The Native Choice is a fantastic company with fabulous tours.

I have been on 2 with them, and highly recommend them if you are allowed to book private excursions.

I have been on that exact same tour about 5 years ago. Chaccoben is one of my favorite Mayan sites and I have been to several, and the meal at the Mayan village was one of the best meals I have ever had on vacation.

• Like 1

I have to agree with @Morgsmom 

Pre Covid, Cozumel has some nice things to offer and I’d happily share those with you but during these times getting on a tour bus in Mexico isn’t something I’m planning to do. 
I love Mexico and especially love the Mayan people and their history…we’ve spent over 150 days on land in the Cozumel/Playa del Carmen area so we know it very well. 
Not sure what we’ll do this time in Cozumel because with their Covid problems this won’t be like past visits. 

At this point I’m just very happy to be able to step on a cruise ship and enjoy that experience again. 

Costa Maya to me is a ship day. 

I’d be happy to dock at Coco Cay an extra day and skip Costa Maya. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, styles27 said:

I have to agree with @Morgsmom 

Pre Covid, Cozumel has some nice things to offer and I’d happily share those with you but during these times getting on a tour bus in Mexico isn’t something I’m planning to do. 
I love Mexico and especially love the Mayan people and their history…we’ve spent over 150 days on land in the Cozumel/Playa del Carmen area so we know it very well. 
Not sure what we’ll do this time in Cozumel because with their Covid problems this won’t be like past visits. 

At this point I’m just very happy to be able to step on a cruise ship and enjoy that experience again. 

Costa Maya to me is a ship day. 

I’d be happy to dock at Coco Cay an extra day and skip Costa Maya. 

*Ocean Cay🙈
Forgot which board I was on sorry 

On 10/7/2021 at 8:35 AM, Morgsmom said:

Even if you could check in the little one in daycare while you are off the boat (NOT even sure if this is possible) I would NEVER do it.  I was on a Disney ship once where the kids were in daycare and the parents were 2 hours late getting back to the ship in Nassau.  The captain would have left them stranded had it not been for the kids.  The parents were confined to their cabin for the balance of the cruise.  That being said, there's lots of things that could happen while you are onshore and I (PERSONAL OPINION ONLY) wouldn't want my toddler on a ship under the care of someone else during that time.  

I agree with this sentiment, unless there is an adult with your group who will stay on board I would not put kids in child care and leave the ship. Just too much that can go wrong.

Also you mentioned that car seats can be a pain in taxis, while in St. Marteen we did a day pass at a resort when on Allure of the Seas. The cab driver to the resort wanted my son to sit on our lap so she could fit another group in. She got mad when we told her we had to use the car seat. However the cab driver on the way back to the ship was not only fine with it he was super nice and chatty so it can go either way. 

We have a stop in Cozumel on the August 2022 Seashore cruise I booked, my kids will be 4/7 at sailing. Still trying to figure out what, if anything, we will do but it's so far out a lot can change between now and then!

Maya Chan, Costa Maya, is a family owned beach “club.”  There were children playing.  It is lovely and the included lunch is also very good and made to order.  Included in your fee is the taxi to and from.

Tagging on to this post.  My 29-year-old son and I will be going to Costa Maya in January on Meraviglia.  I heard great things about the "Maya, Lost Mayan Kingdom" water park resort pre-Covid.  Their website is not clear about whether or not they have reopened since the closure in March 2020 due to Covid.  Does anyone know if they are operating again?

Edited by GA Dave

On 10/7/2021 at 6:54 PM, codeyell0 said:

I saw this video. renting a scooter and touring the island on your own. 
I enjoy scooters and would rent these in any port so I can zip around

I would love to do this, but afraid I got a bump and my baby goes flying

We just came back 

In Costa Maya we rented a golf cart 60.00 just outside where you get taxi's. 
The only downside is our cart could not get out of its own way.  We are not small and a couple times had to back up and get some speed to get out of where we were. 
If you rent a cart go to Mannie's place I forgot the name, the golf cart people will recommend him and some lobster place which was in the middle of everything just too much going on. where we went was at the end of the island.  but it was so far down the road few were there it was sooo peaceful. swings at the bar to sit on.  I think he cooks the food in his house because the bar has no kitchen its a bar outside.  I had steak fajitas, meat was great.  He offered us free margaritas but we don't drink and he apologized and brought us something else which was delicious. 
We did stop at some other place OMG the vendors were non-stop. we had a drink and left.  AND we were over charged it said soda 3us he billed us 4 and then wanted a tip.  stay away from anything in town no matter what people say there. I will post some pics when I get home.  All places basically have beaches where you can swim and eat/drink.  

The free pool looks refreshing but we didn't stay long.  Just toured the shops grabbed a few souvenirs.  

In Cozumel  ($100.00 for me and wife)
I got a driver to drive us around 4 hours with A/C!!
We went to the ruins, local markets,  where he shopped. nothing commercialized,  took us to a local restaurant.  We were going to go to his favorite taco joint but we were out of cash.  He gave us info about the island.  stuff most people don't see.  We did grab some sodas and snacks 
Since I noticed MSC doesn't care if you bring sodas or drinks back on the ship. So I stocked up since they were so cheap.  local shops had some neat snacks too.
I needed something other than MSC food to snack on.

In Costa Maya I went to Jaimie's Blue Reef and it was awesome $50 got you fabulous drinks all day what ever you want to eat and a lounger bed with a fantastic view. when I was there it was me and one other couple plenty of social distancing and the staff could not have been better. 

In Cozumel I once again went on the Cozumel Bar Hop which is my favorite excursion. Super safe great protocols lots of fun and gorgeous views along the east side of the island. 

• Like 1

I have to second the recommendations for Maya Chan in Costa Maya.  The food is outstanding, the location is beautiful, the drinks are strong and the price is reasonable.

in Cozumel, I recommend buying a day past for Mr. Sanchos.

I am a scuba diver and have been to Cozumel many times, know the island well. The excursions are all ripoffs, don't bother. The "ruins" on this island are a total joke. If you want to go to the beach, get in a taxi and go to the beach of your choice. Some of them do charge but not nearly as much as the ship will take from you. The best option is to rent a scooter and drive it around the island at your own pace. Walk to a rental place and it will cost half as much as doing it through the cruise, if that. There are beautiful beaches on the undeveloped side of the island. It's perfectly safe and you can't get lost unless you are brain dead. No, you can't do that with a toddler.

The ruins near Costa Maya are better than on Cozumel but don't remotely compare to something like Chichen Itza or Uxmal. If you want to go there negotiate with a taxi driver and they will take you for much less than being herded onto a bus. To get to the beach, either walk (not with a toddler for sure) or wend your way through the tourist trap maze and find the local taxis, which will only charge you a couple of dollars. Plenty of places to hang out for just the price of buying a few drinks. 

• Thanks 1

I'm seeing all these wonderful ideas, but again, I have a little 20 month old so I need ideas that would be baby friendly.  The long trips, 5 hours, to the beach clubs sounds great, but what if baby needs to sleep in the middle or he freaks and need to go back to the boat?  Do those beach recordings have drivers to take you back or are you 'stuck' there till the bus comes back 5 hours later? 

Yet another reason not to pay inflated prices to get on a bus. Cozumel has many "beach clubs." You can take a taxi and walk into almost all of them with no reservation of any kind. If there is no taxi when you want to leave they will call you one. It is really that simple. At Mahahual (that is the name of the town, "Costa Maya" is a fictitious name the cruise lines made up), there is a very long beachfront lined with shops and restaurants. Get in a taxi for a few dollars and pick an establishment that looks good to you, order a drink and you have your beach. When you want to leave, if there isn't a taxi in view, the restaurant will summon one. I suggest you pack one of those little sun shelters for kids that roll up small, and a foldable stroller. No Mexican beach is going to have facilities for babies. 

On 10/7/2021 at 10:27 AM, KennyFla said:

We found an excursion put on by The Native Choice in Costa Maya that includes a visit to the ruins at Chacchoben and then lunch in the nearby Mayan village.  They also get good reviews on another travel site.

Don't know how kid friendly it would be.

Snuck into this convo via a search for new info on mexico - but let me say that is a great tour, we loved it. I didn’t see little children on it but there were some teens. Great, educated guide! You will love it! But their location is a greater trek from the cruise port than you imagine so grab a cheap taxi if you can if you aren’t at a high level of fitness 👍🏼