Borrowing jacket

SSCAF001

I am fairly certain that during my quarter-century-plus luxury cruising "career,"  one of the lines I frequented offered a program to hire men's formal wear.  Does anyone else remember this?    

I outgrew my formal wear some years ago and allow a dark suit to suffice when I do not take meals (in permitted informal or casual attire) at the Grill or LaTerrazza on formal nights.  🙂

Is it time to restore such a program?  After all, one can hire formal wear for weddings, etc.

On 10/11/2021 at 9:27 AM, SSCAF001 said:

I will become permanent traveller starting summer 2022 and was wondering whether it is possible to "borrow" a jacket certain evenings for dinner. I know that I can go to Hot Rocks or Spaccanapoli, because theses locations are always casual, but I would like also to enjoy more formal atmosphere. I will have no problem to travel with a black trouser, a white shirt and a bow tie but it will definitely not be possible to carry a jacket with me just for the sake of using it a few evenings per year. Thanks for your advices.

Hang in there SSCA. Anyone who read your original question should know what your intentions are and what you are asking. Ignore the nasties.  Have a great time traveling.

• Like 3

Covid protocols are changing all the time.   SSCA my husband and I were charmed by the idea your children will care for your "stuff" while you travel the world spending their inheritance!! 😃  As for the people who are being so picky I suggest you read the very first post from SSCA.   He says he has travelled on SS before and is certainly entitled to do so again as is anyone else who wishes to.  Recently on the SS Passengers FB page a number of people have asked if SS passengers are too posh or over the top for them, they have been assured this is not the case but this thread does make me wonder how many "picky" people there are.  Fortunately we have never met them and only ever been received as "ordinary" folks lucky enough to be able to travel on SS and once needing to slightly "bend" the rules with regard to formal attire due to the cruise being a very small part of a world wide travel experience.   I am sure there is a simple solution for SSCA and Silversea will help him out as necessary.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, fizzy said:

It would seem highly unlikely with the social distancing and contamination issues that SS would be happy with passengers borrowing/ trading clothes.

That's probably true.  Does SS have a boutique where you could buy a jacket or maybe in one of the ports?  Donate it back to SS at  the end of the cruise for the next person w/o a jacket.

1 hour ago, Stumblefoot said:

SS does not.

That's to bad.  Probably a better market for the larger ships with young people going to weddings & things.  Covid may complicate the situation but from others remarks on SS going the extra mile I bet they will accommodate SSCA and I hope he has a blast on the cruise.

Edited by RetiredandTravel
typo

2 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

That's to bad.  Probably a better market for the larger ships with young people going to weddings & things.

I suspect it's simply a matter of the size of the ships more than the clientele. 

I think the best summary of advice here for @SSCAF001 is to first contact SS to explain the situation and inquire if they will have a jacket you can borrow on whatever sailings you book. If the answer is no, then the suggestion is to purchase an inexpensive jacket online and have it shipped in advance to the ship would solve the problem, albeit at a cost, or to find a lightweight wrinkle-resistant jacket which can be rolled up small and light and taken on your travels.

2 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I suspect it's simply a matter of the size of the ships more than the clientele. 

I think the best summary of advice here for @SSCAF001 is to first contact SS to explain the situation and inquire if they will have a jacket you can borrow on whatever sailings you book. If the answer is no, then the suggestion is to purchase an inexpensive jacket online and have it shipped in advance to the ship would solve the problem, albeit at a cost, or to find a lightweight wrinkle-resistant jacket which can be rolled up small and light and taken on your travels.

We are doing the same thing as SSCAF001, world traveling with just one bag.  DH won't be taking a sport coat/jacket either.  I suspect a lot of people who are "nomads" of this type these days will not have room, nor carry a sport coat in their luggage. Our travels are "winging it" type, go where we want, when we want  in the world with a general idea, but no specific plans.  And those plans include very last minute repositioning cruises.

We will be on the Nov 14th Silver Cloud Antarctica sailing.  I think now I know what to do with his black cashmere sport coat.  Bring it, and leave it on the ship. He's a size 44R.  One less thing to sell on Poshmark!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kimanjo said:

We are doing the same thing as SSCAF001, world traveling with just one bag.  DH won't be taking a sport coat/jacket either.  I suspect a lot of people who are "nomads" of this type these days will not have room, nor carry a sport coat in their luggage. Our travels are "winging it" type, go where we want, when we want  in the world with a general idea, but no specific plans.  And those plans include very last minute repositioning cruises.

We will be on the Nov 14th Silver Cloud Antarctica sailing.  I think now I know what to do with his black cashmere sport coat.  Bring it, and leave it on the ship. He's a size 44R.  One less thing to sell on Poshmark!

Its like the Silversea "Woodstock" cruise  😎

• Like 1

The more I think about this, do you really want to borrow a jacket that hasn’t been clean—you have no idea how many other people had it on—-let alone their grooming habits.  If I wasn’t taking my own jacket I’d plan other venues that don’t need the jacket.

18 hours ago, kimanjo said:

Some call it Nomad, some call it Geo Arbitrage.

I find this "Nomad" lifestyle to be very interesting.  Wishing you a safe and joyous trip. 

We have often discussed selling our house and buying a condo/renting an apartment and travelling very extensively.  Structure is important to us so we couldn't just wing it as you intend to do, we would probably do longer cruises.  One big concern is our (my) lack of discipline when we travel. When at home we closely watch our food and alcohol intake and exercise diligently.   All that goes out the window when we vacation, we have a good time, somehow we would have to improve our regiment to travel for very long times.  When we look at the  look at the SS 2024 WC 11 of the first 18 days are at sea days, the bars and gelato booth would be like a strong magnet I doubt I could resist.  Not sure.

1 hour ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I find this "Nomad" lifestyle to be very interesting.  Wishing you a safe and joyous trip. 

We have often discussed selling our house and buying a condo/renting an apartment and travelling very extensively.  Structure is important to us so we couldn't just wing it as you intend to do, we would probably do longer cruises.  One big concern is our (my) lack of discipline when we travel. When at home we closely watch our food and alcohol intake and exercise diligently.   All that goes out the window when we vacation, we have a good time, somehow we would have to improve our regiment to travel for very long times.  When we look at the  look at the SS 2024 WC 11 of the first 18 days are at sea days, the bars and gelato booth would be like a strong magnet I doubt I could resist.  Not sure.

One of the main reasons we are doing this is to get away from the car-centric lifestyle we have here.  We want to walk.  To get up in the a.m. and walk to our local market and pick up some fruit or groceries.  To walk and wander along a beach. To explore.  Whenever we travel, and are in a city, Barcelona, Paris, Florence, we walk. It's what we do. Also, we don't drink, so that is one area that won't trip up our discipline. We plan to do Patagonia in the 1st year.  Not 18 mile hikes, but 4, 5, 6 mile are good.  We are young( ish) 58 & 59 and figure this is the time to do it. One city per month, and circle back to the places we liked. Starting in South America, move on to Europe then Asia.  Repo cruises getting from some point A to B.

• Like 2

As far as we are concerned we are both 53. We intend to travel 2 times 5 months per year back to France/Switzerland 1 month for year-end and 1month in summer as long as our parents are still there. We will start with a road trip in the US from Boston to Los Angeles. Then 5 months in Indonesia (back to Europe with a 40 day cruise between Singapore and Barcelona) then 5 months in Australia followed by 2 months in New Zealand then a cruise between Auckland and Vancouver. Then a road trip to Montreal etc etc. This is the broad idea. Reality might be quite different. But after a quite busy work life we thought it was the right time to do it. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, SSCAF001 said:

As far as we are concerned we are both 53. We intend to travel 2 times 5 months per year back to France/Switzerland 1 month for year-end and 1month in summer as long as our parents are still there. We will start with a road trip in the US from Boston to Los Angeles. Then 5 months in Indonesia (back to Europe with a 40 day cruise between Singapore and Barcelona) then 5 months in Australia followed by 2 months in New Zealand then a cruise between Auckland and Vancouver. Then a road trip to Montreal etc etc. This is the broad idea. Reality might be quite different. But after a quite busy work life we thought it was the right time to do it. 

I worked for UBS many years back, most of the Swiss folks I met were pretty structured.  Do you "wing it" like Kimanjo or is your trip planned out?   We would definitely need the trip planned that's just our DNA.  My sister does trips like you mention they aren't for the same duration tho. 

I'm very familiar with the Northeast & Midwest US if I can help in anyway please let me know.

45 minutes ago, kimanjo said:

One of the main reasons we are doing this is to get away from the car-centric lifestyle we have here.  We want to walk.  To get up in the a.m. and walk to our local market and pick up some fruit or groceries.  To walk and wander along a beach. To explore.  Whenever we travel, and are in a city, Barcelona, Paris, Florence, we walk. It's what we do. Also, we don't drink, so that is one area that won't trip up our discipline. We plan to do Patagonia in the 1st year.  Not 18 mile hikes, but 4, 5, 6 mile are good.  We are young( ish) 58 & 59 and figure this is the time to do it. One city per month, and circle back to the places we liked. Starting in South America, move on to Europe then Asia.  Repo cruises getting from some point A to B.

This sounds wonderful; sure wish I had the courage to try it.  I am planning longer and longer trips but I don't think I could "go full nomad."   Enjoy your travels.

19 minutes ago, RetiredandTravel said:

I worked for UBS many years back, most of the Swiss folks I met were pretty structured.  Do you "wing it" like Kimanjo or is your trip planned out?   We would definitely need the trip planned that's just our DNA.  My sister does trips like you mention they aren't for the same duration tho. 

I'm very familiar with the Northeast & Midwest US if I can help in anyway please let me know.

Thanks. We are very structured and will plan each 5-month period well in advance. 

• Like 2

On 10/15/2021 at 5:34 AM, SSCAF001 said:

Thanks. We are very structured and will plan each 5-month period well in advance. 

Can I ask you what you have done about health insurance. That is the biggest negative to us following your example. We have a few years on you.

9 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Can I ask you what you have done about health insurance. That is the biggest negative to us following your example. We have a few years on you.

We will keep our Swiss health insurance with an additional travel health insurance which will cover our health cost with no limit whatever the country including the USA. The additional cost is quite limited approximately 300$ per year per couple. 

• Like 1