Drink package & diamond

colesc15

We just hit diamond (woohoo). We've always purchased the drink package, but now with the 4 drinks each included, I'm not sure it will be worth it anymore. I feel like a discount would make so much sense for Royal since you're already getting 4 free, but whatever. Diamond and above members, does anyone still purchase the drink package or do you just utilize the 4 free and then buy any above and beyond? From what I can tell, that's the biggest "perk" of hitting diamond. 

• Like 1

Before Covid, I still got the drink package because there were a lot of restrictions on the free Diamond drinks (in the lounge, during the happy hour, on drinks on the diamond lounge menu), but since they switched to the flat four free per day any bar any time we haven't gotten the package again and so far haven't missed it. The refreshment or soda package could still be worth it, and I do get one of those two every cruise still, depending on the number of sea days. IMO you would need to drink a lot of alcoholic drinks each day to have the deluxe package still make sense after the four free drinks.

You just gotta do the math and see if it works. The drink package includes bottled water, coffee, other non-alcoholic stuff. For the prices I've seen lately it's about 5 $13 drinks for the package to make sense. So that's 9 a day if you include your vouchers. But lets say you get a coffee, 3 bottles of water, and a soda every day too. That cost wise probably equals at least 2 of the 5 break-even drinks. So now it's just 7 alcoholic drinks a day plus the non alcoholic stuff to break even. Or less if you're a coffee or soda fiend. But you gotta make sure to check that vs just buying the soda or refreshment package or coffee card. 

2 minutes ago, c-leg5 said:

I thought Diamond did get a discount on drink package?

Did this stop with the four vouchers anytime?

Diamond Plus gets discount on deluxe (on board only) it was almost always cheaper to buy it pre cruise without the discount.

Edited by not-enough-cruising
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, colesc15 said:

We just hit diamond (woohoo). We've always purchased the drink package, but now with the 4 drinks each included, I'm not sure it will be worth it anymore. I feel like a discount would make so much sense for Royal since you're already getting 4 free, but whatever. Diamond and above members, does anyone still purchase the drink package or do you just utilize the 4 free and then buy any above and beyond? From what I can tell, that's the biggest "perk" of hitting diamond. 

D+, so we get 5.  Between the free cappuccinos in the DL, the 6 free bottles of water and bottle of wine provided in our room, and 10 free vouchers (combined), we never once paid for a drink.  For us, we'll never buy a package.  

Edited by Aquahound
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, not-enough-cruising said:

Diamond Plus gets discount on deluxe (on board only) it was almost always cheaper to buy it pre cruise without the discount.

I think the D+ was slightly higher than the Diamond.

I know in the early days there was much discussion about whether it was better value to buy on board or on planner. Also you can buy on board a couple of days after sailing (therefore don’t have to buy for whole trip) but there would have to be a lot of sea days (we have considered it on TA’s but declined) before buying a package  would be of value to us.

We are also diamond plus so we get one more drink than diamonds, I bought drink package before I heard about the 5 free drinks, we are also staying in suite so we get free drinks in suite lounge, I most likely will cancel the drink package, I paid 50 per person for. Also long shot on my Royal up to star suite.

Yeah that's kind of where we are. Last cruise in Odyssey, we weren't diamond yet so had the drink package. We don't drink much at home, but on the cruise we live it up. My day with the least drinks was probably 9 or 10 alcoholic drinks (mixed drinks) and quite a few bottles of water, most in a day was likely 15 plus bottles of water. 

I figure at $60 a day average for drink package, looking at 5-6 drinks a day to break even. Now at diamond, you'd be looking at roughly 10 a day to break even (the normal 6 plus the 4 free). Not factoring in the bottles of water. Could we still break even or come ahead? Yes. But could we get by with the 4 free and maybe an extra 2 each a day and still save a few hundred bucks? Likely. The bottle water piece is tough to give up.

I'm thinking if the package were to drop in the low to mid 50s it'd be maybe worth it but not sure we'll see that low again. I enjoy the never ending gin and tonics in the schooner 😊