Sky Princess implements new mask wearing rule … sip and cover!

seapals2

31 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Are you suggesting people have to wear a mask while walking about the open decks?  If not - and I would think not, IDK why walking in/out Sanctuary would be any different.  

It may depend on the ship  - several ships I have been on in the past in you have to enter the sanctuary through the gym

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Really?  What ship is that?  Not Royal Class.  Not Crown/Grand Class.  Not Island. 

10 minutes ago, Steelers36 said:

Really?  What ship is that?  Not Royal Class.  Not Crown/Grand Class.  Not Island. 

It was years ago and I cannot remember which ship  - it may not even be in the fleet anymore.  Before Royal class for sure and maybe before Grand.  It may have been the old Sky or Sun

Just now, memoak said:

It was years ago and I cannot remember which ship  - it may not even be in the fleet anymore.  Before Royal class for sure and maybe before Grand.  It may have been the old Sky or Sun

Probably that.  Walking to/from, or around Sanctuary isn't any different than various other sections of the deck with loungers and guests. 

17 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

Are you suggesting people have to wear a mask while walking about the open decks?  If not - and I would think not, IDK why walking in/out Sanctuary would be any different.  

No need to wear mask on open decks although some people choose to do so

19 hours ago, Steelers36 said:

It's been a few years since we were on board one of the "smaller" ships as we prefer the Royal class, but IIRC the Sanctuary on ships like the Ruby, Crown, etc was accessed by going through the Spa then walking up the stairs past the hot tub. I don't remember if the gym was nearby?

8 minutes ago, lx200gps said:

It's been a few years since we were on board one of the "smaller" ships as we prefer the Royal class, but IIRC the Sanctuary on ships like the Ruby, Crown, etc was accessed by going through the Spa then walking up the stairs past the hot tub. I don't remember if the gym was nearby?

That is one route on those ships.  The other is from Lido and then up forward outdoors stairs to Deck 17 and then walk forward past Lotus Pool and into Sanctuary on the starboard side of the ship.

Guest Snaxmuppet

I have been out of this conversation and wasn't going to re-join it but after having spent a week on Sky (currently sailing towards Palma) I felt I wanted to comment...

I banged on about the "sip and cover" rule prior to the cruise but it never materialised. Sip and cover is only in place in Princess Live and Theatre. There are signs up in a few other places such as the Crown Grill bar but there it is not enforced nor is it in place in any of the other bars or in the Plaza. That is the good bit...

However, although most are wearing masks indoors there are a lot of people not wearing their mask over their nose and a few just not wearing it at all. No one is enforcing any mask rules when walking about inside that I have seen. We have even had people say that masks are only recommended so they aren't wearing them... haven't seen them challenged... they are compulsory when moving around indoors. I did mention this to the Guest Services supervisor but she seemed to say they are doing all they can already so I won't hold my breath for any increase in enforcement.

Many people are just wearing the cheap, blue, thin masks anyway. If they are not opened out and pulled tight then they aren't that effective and constantly slip down off the nose with many people. They should not be allowed at all IMO.

The lift policy is just crazy! There are signs at each lift saying that they recommend only 4 per lift. What if you are already in a lift with 4 in it already and it stops at a floor where others want to get in? If you want to follow the recommendations you either try to stop others entering (good luck with that!) or you get out! We have been just getting out if others want to get in over the 4 but it is making using the lifts a huge frustration for us. Surely a "recommended" policy like that cannot work. 

All in all we very much wish we were not on this cruise. The frequent lack of compliance with mask and lift protocols with totally no enforcement, the general shortage of staff in the dining rooms and the requirement to wear masks inside in general is very much spoiling it for us. I know that the majority seem not to be concerned about any of this and are having a great time but if your covid safety is something you are concerned about I would strongly recommend not cruising until mask protocols are lifted and the risk is very much reduced. We are in fear of catching covid on board. We  feel much less safe on the ship than at home where we have control of our environment. 

Here are my thoughts on a few previous posts...

On 10/22/2021 at 9:21 PM, choochella said:

So, we have a 14 day on Princess in April 2022. Final payment due in January. Mask protocol extended to February. I would rather not sail having to wear a mask completely indoors. (Just returned from a 12 day on Celebrity. No masks required) 

I’m just wondering if Princess will permit us to cancel after final payment without penalties if they extend the mask mandate beyond February? I’ve tried to reach a Princess agent to no avail. 

We tried to use that argument a few days before our cruise and we asked to cancel with FCC... they bluntly refused. They will not allow cancellation outside the normal cancellation terms for any change in covid safety protocols.

On 10/24/2021 at 11:09 PM, wowzz said:

All I can say is that although there are "sip and cover " signs up in a few venues on Sky at the moment, they are being totally ignored by the passengers, and the crew don't care.

But all pax wear masks when walking around.

I am very happy with the current arrangements. Others will think differently.

Most are wearing masks but there are enough either not wearing them effectively (off the nose) or not wearing at all that it is a huge concern for us.

On 10/25/2021 at 4:55 AM, choochella said:

I totally agree with Scott4020 that Princess should give the option of canceling without penalty if they are going to adopt certain rules as the pandemic changes. When booking, there is no indication of what will transpire in the future. 

We tried... answer was a blunt NO. No cancellation without normal penalty for changes in mask or other covid safety protocols.

On 10/25/2021 at 5:52 PM, barriedavis said:

Just finished the Sky cruise to France and Spain between 15/22 October.  We had a lateral flow test before boarding so, theoretically, all passengers were free of infection.  Some slackers on the mask front who had to be reminded of the requirements all the time.  Sip and Cover in place in bars and entertainment venues but some got a bit cavalier with it.  Got back last Friday and had the compulsory Day 2  PCR test.  Result showed I was negative but wife was positive.  Not sure how it happened but could have been shore visits, could have been on board.  Beware people, nothing is foolproof.

Yes, cruising is risky right now even with protocols in place. A lot of people are only paying lip service to the protocols... they are on holiday and don't want all these restrictions... and when ashore then many are not following the local rules either. Groups are mixing for drinks and so it is no surprise that covid will be spread. We are trying to stay in our cabin except when eating in speciality restaurants, we have breakfast in our cabin and don't get off the ship for excursions. It isn't much fun to be honest.

On 10/25/2021 at 10:17 PM, wowzz said:

I'm passing no comment, other than to say that sip and cover is not being implemented on Sky at present. But 100% of pax are wearing masks when walking around inside the ship.

Sorry but that just is not true. We have seen quite a few that are not wearing masks. I know it isn't just that they have forgotten because they often have them in their hand or hanging from one ear. It isn't many people but it is enough to be a worry.

Also, even if they are wearing a mask it is not at all uncommon for them to wear it off the nose (in which case it is almost pointless wearing it at all!).

Edited by Snaxmuppet

I believe we are safer on board Sky than we would be in the UK. Mask wearing is pretty much the order of the day, and 100% of pax are vaccinated. We are certainly not hiding away.

And the infection rates at the various ports are far lower than in the UK. Safer to go ashore than going out in the UK.

Hiding away is just illogical.

Edited by wowzz

Whilst on Celebrity Silhouette in August I was guilty of forgetting to put my mask back on when leaving a bar to visit the bathroom.

For those fleeting moments it’s not a big deal but out of consideration for the crew and fellow guests I would remind myself to put it back on.

In all the 18 months or so of the pandemic I’ve never felt more safe than aboard the ship.

Quite agree with Wowzz. Everyone seems to be wearing masks indoors on Sky Princess and I feel safe. 

As for the cheap blue masks we are wearing disposible medical grade masks and going through several a day. I feel these are better than fabric ones as I am not sure if they are being washed at 60+ degrees

8 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

All in all we very much wish we were not on this cruise.

I don't mean to be a jerk but if your that paranoid about catching Covid, why are you on a cruise at all?

(I'm not saying you shouldn't be paranoid, it's actually a good idea) 

Masks do reduce the chance of spreading it but unless they are properly fitted N95s not by that much and that was never going to happen.

Edited by scott4020
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

On 10/16/2021 at 10:58 PM, AnyMajorCruiseDude said:

Thanks for complying with the "rules" even when you don't necessarily agree.  I was told on the last cruise we were on in September that they were making more stringent rules as it was difficult to enforce protocols with some, so that more people would comply with what was considered acceptable.  There are always those that test the limits and it is difficult for crew to enforce without fear of retaliation.  By increasing the bar, it is easier to ask for "minimal" compliance.  They are just trying to keep their jobs and stay in business.  The vast majority on our cruise were totally compliant, but the few who weren't put everyone at risk.  

Put everyone at risk for what? Isn't that why you were all vaccinated? 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

I have been out of this conversation and wasn't going to re-join it but after having spent a week on Sky (currently sailing towards Palma) I felt I wanted to comment...

I banged on about the "sip and cover" rule prior to the cruise but it never materialised. Sip and cover is only in place in Princess Live and Theatre. There are signs up in a few other places such as the Crown Grill bar but there it is not enforced nor is it in place in any of the other bars or in the Plaza. That is the good bit...

However, although most are wearing masks indoors there are a lot of people not wearing their mask over their nose and a few just not wearing it at all. No one is enforcing any mask rules when walking about inside that I have seen. We have even had people say that masks are only recommended so they aren't wearing them... haven't seen them challenged... they are compulsory when moving around indoors. I did mention this to the Guest Services supervisor but she seemed to say they are doing all they can already so I won't hold my breath for any increase in enforcement.

Many people are just wearing the cheap, blue, thin masks anyway. If they are not opened out and pulled tight then they aren't that effective and constantly slip down off the nose with many people. They should not be allowed at all IMO.

The lift policy is just crazy! There are signs at each lift saying that they recommend only 4 per lift. What if you are already in a lift with 4 in it already and it stops at a floor where others want to get in? If you want to follow the recommendations you either try to stop others entering (good luck with that!) or you get out! We have been just getting out if others want to get in over the 4 but it is making using the lifts a huge frustration for us. Surely a "recommended" policy like that cannot work. 

All in all we very much wish we were not on this cruise. The frequent lack of compliance with mask and lift protocols with totally no enforcement, the general shortage of staff in the dining rooms and the requirement to wear masks inside in general is very much spoiling it for us. I know that the majority seem not to be concerned about any of this and are having a great time but if your covid safety is something you are concerned about I would strongly recommend not cruising until mask protocols are lifted and the risk is very much reduced. We are in fear of catching covid on board. We  feel much less safe on the ship than at home where we have control of our environment. 

We tried to use that argument a few days before our cruise and we asked to cancel with FCC... they bluntly refused. They will not allow cancellation outside the normal cancellation terms for any change in covid safety protocols.

Most are wearing masks but there are enough either not wearing them effectively (off the nose) or not wearing at all that it is a huge concern for us.

We tried... answer was a blunt NO. No cancellation without normal penalty for changes in mask or other covid safety protocols.

Yes, cruising is risky right now even with protocols in place. A lot of people are only paying lip service to the protocols... they are on holiday and don't want all these restrictions... and when ashore then many are not following the local rules either. Groups are mixing for drinks and so it is no surprise that covid will be spread. We are trying to stay in our cabin except when eating in speciality restaurants, we have breakfast in our cabin and don't get off the ship for excursions. It isn't much fun to be honest.

Sorry but that just is not true. We have seen quite a few that are not wearing masks. I know it isn't just that they have forgotten because they often have them in their hand or hanging from one ear. It isn't many people but it is enough to be a worry.

Also, even if they are wearing a mask it is not at all uncommon for them to wear it off the nose (in which case it is almost pointless wearing it at all!).

I'm sorry that you aren't having a good time.   I don't know your health situation, but it seems like cruising right now isn't a good idea for you.  It does seem like the number of people getting COVID on the ships is very minimal.   With everyone being vaccinated with negative tests, it seems like the risk is very, very low.  Better than going shopping at home.   We are booked on the Emerald over Thanksgiving and I will spend most of my time in areas that masks are not required.   I will wear them when I have to, but I don't want to.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Snaxmuppet said:

Where did you sail from? Different countries have different rules and enforcement. Differences between a cruise from a US port compared to a non US port

55 minutes ago, nocl said:

Where did you sail from? Different countries have different rules and enforcement. Differences between a cruise from a US port compared to a non US port

Sky is sailing from Southampton. Must be vaccinated and Princess is providing testing at the port.

I mean no offense to anyone in particular, but if you have genuine strong concerns about COVID, a cruise ship simply is *not* an appropriate vacation choice for you at present. A vacation home rental, camping, etc. are far better choices if one is concerned about sharing space with large groups of people right now. 

I honestly can’t blame a soul for going maskness as much as possible while on an expensive cruise at sea after having been vaccinated AND tested prior to departure. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, scott4020 said:

Sky is sailing from Southampton. Must be vaccinated and Princess is providing testing at the port.

Where as the other cruising that was talking  about mask compliance being better was from the US

Cruises from different countries, different rules and experiences.

8 hours ago, winterbliss said:

Put everyone at risk for what? Isn't that why you were all vaccinated? 

Like those phonies out there who buy fake "Service" dog credentials so fluffy can come along, there's been rampant fake vaccination cards out there as well. So how do you tell what's legit or not, short of a national registry. I can just see the protests over that. Want to make it simple? 2 warnings & you're put off at the next port. Now that will put fear into the slackers out there. Either follow the rules or you don't sail, period. Don't get me started on religious or medical excuses.

• Like 2