How are cruises dealing with allowing guests to enter countries with different Covid admittance policies.

Longwood50

I know that most of the cruises require that the passenger must show they have been fully vaccinated.  I was just wondering how the cruises were handling the different admittance requirements of the various countries.  I know in Thailand at present only tourists from 5 countries will be admitted without quarantine, and even those 5 countries tourists will have a 1 day quarantine until the results of their Covid test upon arrival is completed.  I believe that Vietnam is totally closed and the same for Australia.  I would like to book a cruise to the Mediterranean and/or Greek Islands but if the ship hits ports in several countries, I am wondering if that is realistic given that any non-EU country would likely have different Covid entry requirements. 

3 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I know that most of the cruises require that the passenger must show they have been fully vaccinated.  I was just wondering how the cruises were handling the different admittance requirements of the various countries.  I know in Thailand at present only tourists from 5 countries will be admitted without quarantine, and even those 5 countries tourists will have a 1 day quarantine until the results of their Covid test upon arrival is completed.  I believe that Vietnam is totally closed and the same for Australia.  I would like to book a cruise to the Mediterranean and/or Greek Islands but if the ship hits ports in several countries, I am wondering if that is realistic given that any non-EU country would likely have different Covid entry requirements. 

You really need to check with whatever cruise line(s) you’re considering since their Covid restriction policies/procedures may differ.

One of our future booked cruises (CPT-LIS-NYC 45 days) will traverse many countries across three continents and encounter all sorts of different Covid concerns, dictates, etc.

Fortunately, our preferred line will take care of all necessary testing including any for reentry to the US and will handle issues associated with any necessary port changes enroute.

Do the research and choose a cruise line that deals with Covid efficaciously.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I am wondering if that is realistic given that any non-EU country would likely have different Covid entry requirements. 

Covid regulations are managed by the individual countries not the EU so you  still need to check the individual countries rules of entry and don't assume that rules are the same just because they are in the EU. This is an EU run website that lists all the regulations for EU countries:

Re-open EU

Cruises are occurring in locations where the cruise company is able to negotiate an entrance policy with the country. Countries that are overly strenuous (like Thailand and Vietnam) don't have cruises operating now. You will certainly need to check the requirements of the country you plan on flying into and out of for a cruise. And then when the cruise company specifically on your itinerary and what is required/allowed. For example, a cruise to Bermuda requires multiple covid tests while a cruise to the Bahamas only requires vaccination. But you don't need to check the requirements of each individual country on the cruise. If the cruise ship is bringing you in and out of the country then they will be responsible for the requirements are and verifying you meet them. There is no one one size fits all solution at this time. 

Edited by sanger727

We are anxiously waiting for Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam to open it   This area is one of our favorite go to areas for snowbirding.

We do not anticipate them opening this winter as a group.  Our understanding is that  Thailand is open to a certain extent in Phuket (not where we typically go) and have indicated that they may open up more in the upcoming months.   We are already planning an alternative snowbird location for the upcoming winter.   

The challenge with any country  at the moment is that covid is far from static and still has a way to go.  Countries will be relaxing  and/or re-introducing covid restrictions at will based upon the then current situation in those countries.  A great deal can happen between final cruise payment and sailing day. 

This situation must present a very difficult challenge for cruise lines and for the leisure travel industry in general. 

Edited by iancal

The ship I work on cruised throughout the Mediterranean all Summer. Our passengers were mostly from North America, with a smaller number from Europe and Asia. Despite rapidly and frequently changing regulations in several countries, we had no problems.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/19/2021 at 6:25 AM, iancal said:

We are anxiously waiting for Malaysia, Thailand, and Vietnam to open it   This area is one of our favorite go to areas for snowbirding.

Well I am residing in Thailand.  Don't plan on it any time soon.  They "relaxed' the standards as of November 1, 2021 to get into the country.  You only need a Covid test within 72 hours of when you are admitted to Thailand, have a vaccine passport, and be tested upon arrival and quarantined for 24 hours until your test results are in, and have medical insurance that is good in Thailand covering you for a minimum of $50,000 USD.  

Normal stop in Bangkok/ Laem Chabong is 1 to 2 days and typically only 1 day in Phuket so by the time you get out of quarantine the ship has already left. 

4 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

Well I am residing in Thailand.  Don't plan on it any time soon.  They "relaxed' the standards as of November 1, 2021 to get into the country.  You only need a Covid test within 72 hours of when you are admitted to Thailand, have a vaccine passport, and be tested upon arrival and quarantined for 24 hours until your test results are in, and have medical insurance that is good in Thailand covering you for a minimum of $50,000 USD.  

Normal stop in Bangkok/ Laem Chabong is 1 to 2 days and typically only 1 day in Phuket so by the time you get out of quarantine the ship has already left. 

And, as far as I know, no cruise ship is going to Thailand under these procedures. Either the rules will need to be loosened, or procedures developed, like testing on the ship, to get to the point of resuming sailing to Thailand.

On 10/30/2021 at 8:16 PM, CruiserBruce said:

And, as far as I know, no cruise ship is going to Thailand under these procedures. Either the rules will need to be loosened, or procedures developed, like testing on the ship, to get to the point of resuming sailing to Thailand.

I have seen some cruises advertised with stops in Bangkok or Phuket but it remains to be seen if those ports are changed or the rules are.  Right now everyone including Thai's that enter Thailand are required to have Covid test within 72 hours of arrival, have approved vaccine passport, and be tested again upon arrival and be quarantined for 1 day until test results are back. 

This for sure will eliminate Thailand as a stop.  You can't have each port dictating that the passengers get continually retested and expect that you will have people willing to put up with the continual testing. 

6 hours ago, Longwood50 said:

I have seen some cruises advertised with stops in Bangkok or Phuket but it remains to be seen if those ports are changed or the rules are.  Right now everyone including Thai's that enter Thailand are required to have Covid test within 72 hours of arrival, have approved vaccine passport, and be tested again upon arrival and be quarantined for 1 day until test results are back. 

This for sure will eliminate Thailand as a stop.  You can't have each port dictating that the passengers get continually retested and expect that you will have people willing to put up with the continual testing. 

I smiled at your post because we recently returned from a 2 1/2 week trip to Barbados where we embarked on a 2 week cruise and also spend a few days at a Barbados resort.  In 2 1/2 weeks we had to take 5 COVID tests (2 PCR and 3 Antigen) which has become part of the new normal for travel.  When we went to Greece in July-August things were a little better as we only needed 3 Antigen tests although now there would need to be an additional PCR test.

Travel/cruising will often involve the need for proof of vaccination plus multiple COVID testing (both PCR and Antigen) and there is no reason to think this is going to change in the near future except for even more testing.  The alternative is to carefully choose a single country (such as Mexico) that does not stress testing.  To be honest, DW and I have been tested so many times in the last few months that we now accept it as routine.  Fortunately, a lot of the nose swabs are not going too deep although there are still times when you feel like you are losing brain cells.

Hank