cabin question (sorry if I am not supposed to post this here)

How much longer?

Hi, 

Due to the Wind being cancelled for this years Antarctica cruises, I am re-booking and trying again next year, on the Cloud.  It has some verada cabins labeled tub/shower combination.  I assume the others are shower only?  Is there a benefit to the tub?  Does it make the shower area larger?  I have never sailed SilverSea, so I can't compare to other cruises I have sailed.

thanks.

Deb

In the pre-excursion days, these two ships were carbon copies.  If any changes since one became an excursion ship, I have no idea.  On several tens of cruises on these and other SS and mostly luxury lines,  my spouse and I have not used the tub even once. We have always connisidered it yet wasted space.Correction -  to keep Iced kegs of beer.😜

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, How much longer? said:

Hi, 

Due to the Wind being cancelled for this years Antarctica cruises, I am re-booking and trying again next year, on the Cloud.  It has some verada cabins labeled tub/shower combination.  I assume the others are shower only?  Is there a benefit to the tub?  Does it make the shower area larger?  I have never sailed SilverSea, so I can't compare to other cruises I have sailed.

thanks.

Deb

We are on the Cloud this November, and are in one of the suites with the description bath/shower combination ( as designated with one water drop).  We're not sure what this means what we think it means?  Is it like a regular tub, with a shower in it?  An the suites with the 2 water drop symbols, do they have a shower stall PLUS a separate tub?

Will post our details when we get back.

@How much longer? We're in the same boat as you, literally and figuratively.;)  After two years of waiting for the Wind, we have now re-booked on the Cloud for next year. Sigh.

We were on the Cloud once before. It lacks some of the amenities of the much larger ships, nor is it as new, but for our previous expedition trip in Greenland, we did not have any complaints with the ship.

From my recollection and looking at the floor plans, most of the veranda suites in the Cloud have a walk-in shower. In my opinion, this is the best arrangement for a small bathroom on a cruise ship -- unless you really like to take baths. (We just got off a Seabourn cruise and perhaps the one thing I don't like about their great ships, it's the wasted space of a large tub which we never use and a very tiny corner shower in which we practice our contortions to get clean! 😉  A separate tub and shower can be great if you like taking baths; if not, a separate shower is a waste of space.)

On the Cloud, I believe the suites with the combination shower/tub simply have a tub instead of a walk-in shower. The bathrooms are the same size. The advantage of this is that it gives you the flexibility to take a bath should you want, but the downside is that if you're showering, you have to step in and out over the high side of the tub... which can be a little bit of challenge if you're at sea and the ship is rolling a bit! My wife and I prefer the suites which omit the tub and simply have a walk-in shower. (Only the top five suites have the "double water drop" on the deck plan, indicating both the presence of both a tub and a shower.)

4 hours ago, How much longer? said:

Hi, 

thanks.

Deb

Deb,

Yes, your assumption is correct.

As far as a benefit to a tub, do you like to take a bath?  If so, then you'll want to be sure you book a suite with the combo tub/shower.  There is a certain Aussie here in these forums that would never sail on the Cloud with a shower only suite.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, alithecat said:

We are not bath people, and never use the tub except to hang laundry to dry. It's quite useful for that.

That is the only thing we use it for.  I recall reading about someone on a world cruise who used it to store all the stuff they accumulated on the cruise. 

On 10/18/2021 at 2:23 PM, How much longer? said:

Hi, 

thanks.

Deb

Unless you use a tub, there is NO benefit to the tub/shower combination especially is you're short as I am.  The step up into the tub is quite high.

19 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

And if you do enjoy a bath, you may come back from a shore excursion to find that your butler has a bath all ready for you, complete with Elemis muscle-relaxing soak to ease those tired muscles. 

That along with a chilled bottle of Champagne and Caviar.  Just heaven.

• Like 2

20 hours ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

And if you do enjoy a bath, you may come back from a shore excursion to find that your butler has a bath all ready for you, complete with Elemis muscle-relaxing soak to ease those tired muscles. 

Unfortunately, sometimes they set up a lovely bath for us even though both of us are shower people. We appreciate the effort to surprise and please us, but regret the waste of water and bubbles. No such issue in a suite without a tub! 😉

On 10/18/2021 at 4:19 PM, Stumblefoot said:

Deb,

Yes, your assumption is correct.

As far as a benefit to a tub, do you like to take a bath?  If so, then you'll want to be sure you book a suite with the combo tub/shower.  There is a certain Aussie here in these forums that would never sail on the Cloud with a shower only suite.

And there is at least one American on these forums who considers it a major disadvantage if a suite does not have a tub ( and for whom tub absence used to even be a deal breaker). 🙂 

As someone said, for those of us prone to sore muscles, especially after exercise, it is very nice to soak them in a bubble bath after busy excursions, especially if the weather is cool ( though I don't want a  butler setting it up).  It also helps get me going in the mornings.

The Crystal Endeavor only has showers in base suites, very nice huge ones with waterfall, with a big seat, and hot tubs,  but I still missed  having a tub in the room. 
I know I am in the minority and will change my mind once getting in and out becomes too treacherous.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the input.  We kept the cabin with the tub, we will see if I use it.  I do love a bath.  One of my favorite memories from the safari I took was coming back to the room and having a hot bath with rose petals floating in it after a full day in Ngorongoro Crater (along with a fire in the fireplace and a hot water bottle for my feet in my bed. 🥰)