St Vincent

Triggertravel

I have just received an email fro p&o to inform us that st Vincent has been removed from the itinerary on the Britannia transatlantic leaving tomorrow,the reason given was navigational speeds ??having never done. A transatlantic I was t sure of how many days it should take from Madeira to Antigua , but surely they have been doing this long enough to know how long it takes to get across ????? Or am I reading to much in to this?????? just wondered your thoughts 

6 minutes ago, Triggertravel said:

I have just received an email fro p&o to inform us that st Vincent has been removed from the itinerary on the Britannia transatlantic leaving tomorrow,the reason given was navigational speeds ??having never done. A transatlantic I was t sure of how many days it should take from Madeira to Antigua , but surely they have been doing this long enough to know how long it takes to get across ????? Or am I reading to much in to this?????? just wondered your thoughts 

Yes, got that too.

It's a shame because apart from St Lucia it was the only other island where independent shore trips were still a possibility as a TBA on the itinerary.

More time at the pool bar I suppose....

8 minutes ago, CCFC said:

St Vincent is Caribbean for "stay on the ship", you are not missing a lot

I tend to agree.

The Caribbean is a lot different these days from when we first travelled there independently 40 years ago.

We're back in Barbados and Antigua next March for the cricket so won't miss this one although hopefully we can still stretch our legs in St Lucia.

I have just read this too, totally unbelievable never heard of this excuse and crossed the Atlantic many times, I BELIEVE that OBC should be given to passengers especially to be told at this late notice.

Has anyone else had OBC applied to their cabin in a similar situation.

With Tui 2 years ago BEFORE WE BOARDED the ship in Cyprus they changed the itinerary from Ashdod to Haifa and we were given £200 OBC per cabin,  which I felt was a reasonable gesture.

P  & O really do need to get their act together as passengers will be very annoyed tomorrow and will become a load  of Grumpy 😠 🐰 bunny#$!! On board. 

Still not long now what else can happen? I'm at my wit's end!!!

Wish Britannia had just continued with the Mediterranean itinerary.

I was always surprised St Vincent stayed on the itineraries after the volcano erupted.  I remember travelling on Azura to there in the season the islands were decimated by hurricanes,  Went on a land and sea excursion and the heavens opened while we were onboard.  The captain gave us the strongest rum I've ever had to keep us warm and lift the spirits. When we were due to land there was no jetty and we had to wade thigh high through fast flowing water full of sewage!  On the way back on the minibus every time we came to a bridge we had to get out and walk across in pairs because the bridges might not take the weight . It took nearly 4 hours to get back after lunch as a result. I've never left the ship there since!

• Like 2

We went TA on Azura in Oct 2019.  The ship arrived late in St Johns, got in about 1300ish.

2 reasons:

1.  Delayed departure from Maderia (had to turn back an hour after leaving in order to casevac a passenger)

2.  High winds on the nose one day reducing speed to a level where we couldn't make up the lost time at 1.

I haven't looked at the long range weather forecast.  Maybe the long range forecast isn't great and the captain is anticipating not being able to make sufficient speed to get in on time?

9 hours ago, Son of Anarchy said:

We went TA on Azura in Oct 2019.  The ship arrived late in St Johns, got in about 1300ish.

2 reasons:

1.  Delayed departure from Maderia (had to turn back an hour after leaving in order to casevac a passenger)

2.  High winds on the nose one day reducing speed to a level where we couldn't make up the lost time at 1.

I haven't looked at the long range weather forecast.  Maybe the long range forecast isn't great and the captain is anticipating not being able to make sufficient speed to get in on time?

This is likely to be correct. Either higher winds than expected or the captain wishes to change their route to avoid a weather front. Neither could have been predicted until a few days out.

• Like 1

On 10/22/2021 at 11:51 AM, Son of Anarchy said:

2 reasons:

We too we’re on that cruise, do you remember the captain also announcing that we had gone down to one engine half way across the Atlantic that added to the delay as well.