Telemedicine Covid Test Experiences & CVS Rapid Covid ?

UpstateCruizer

There is confusion about the New Abbott BINAX Home Test expiration date

The correct date is a three month extension (to the original 9 month) expiration date - not 12 months from date of Manufacture. 

We are approaching the time when many of the original manufactured tests are starting to expire (Mine included). If you attempt to do the proctored test with an expired test, you will not be allowed. The test proctor scans the barcode on the unopened package and will verify the expiration date. I know it is only a 2 or 3 week difference - but in my case it does invalidate my use of my available tests for my late January cruise by days - drat.

The new expiration date is an extension of the original 9 month expiration date to a 12 month expiration date (Add three months to the expiration date)

Here are some relevant official Links: ( https://www.fda.gov/media/147409/download),

and the here is the EMED Update letter where you can see the Expiration date Update by lot code:

: ( https://www.emed.com/hubfs/Case%2001269955-COL-03030%20BinaxNOW™%20COVID-19%20Ag%20Home%20Test%20%20Product%20Expiry%20Update%20-%20Customer%20Letter%20EN%20%20-%20%20US.pdf?hsLang=en),

Just trying to make sure people understand the somewhat confusing expiration date extension, and what is the correct extension date - and do not get...surprised with an invalid test when they through they were good to go with their purchased test.

understand new tests are being manufactured now and will be available in November (Rumor only -somebody said they talked to somebody at eMed). 

On 10/22/2021 at 12:42 PM, funinthesun1964 said:

Hi - I live in Central Florida and today I could make an appointment for my window for my next cruise.  However, no rapid test is available....at least now. I'm wondering if anyone has taken the PCR test at CVS and had a one day or less turnaround?  I could wait until later to see if there are any rapid tests available, but worried there may be no appointments. I guess I could check with the local health department too. I'd rather not do the at home test.  

Here is a link from the state of Florida. You just put in your county or city.

Edited by sunonfire

I just booked a Carnival cruise for Thanksgiving week.  All of this Covid testing information is stressing me out.  We have an NCL cruise booked for December, and none of this is an issue because they just test you at the port.  I don't understand why Carnival just doesn't make it easier by providing testing.  I realize that if you are traveling and flying in you may want to do one before you leave to make sure you don't waste your time traveling.  But if for some reason your test gets cancelled, at least you would know that you could test at the port.  

Hi - I live in Central Florida and today I could make an appointment for my window for my next cruise.  However, no rapid test is available....at least now. I'm wondering if anyone has taken the PCR test at CVS and had a one day or less turnaround?  I could wait until later to see if there are any rapid tests available, but worried there may be no appointments. I guess I could check with the local health department too. I'd rather not do the at home test.  

We live in Central Florida and made an appointment yesterday at CVS for a rapid antigen test on Thursday 11/11, sailing on the 13th. Hope this helps.

Just curious how everything worked out for you? We cruise Saturday and have appointments Thursday at a CVS but also have backup appointments at Walgreens in case CVS cancels.  I wouldn’t be comfortable with anything at CVS except the rapid tests. The turn around time for the other tests aren’t guaranteed. 

I was sweating it out for our Oct 23rd cruise because of all that I have heard about test being cancelled. Scheduled several days out, got in and out in 5 minutes with results texted in about 20 minutes later. Very easy, although I did have a backup appointment a an independent pharmacy later that day just in case of a false positive or a last minute cancel.

1 hour ago, UpstateCruizer said:

Just curious how everything worked out for you? We cruise Saturday and have appointments Thursday at a CVS but also have backup appointments at Walgreens in case CVS cancels.  I wouldn’t be comfortable with anything at CVS except the rapid tests. The turn around time for the other tests aren’t guaranteed. 

What I did was make two appointments: one at CVS and one at Walgreen's for a backup. I have heard that the PCR test isn't taking that long now due to a very low testing group.  I was able to book a rapid test at Walgreen's on Sunday for a test on Thursday.  Almost time to go! We also cruise Saturday.

I just did an eMed test this morning. Had to for work and prior to going to a doctor to prove it is a sinus infection. Overall it about 20 minutes from start to finish. Results were in my Navica app almost instantly. The email was received about 5 minutes later. Extremely simple to do. The only advice I have is to make sure the room is very well lit. I had to get a standing LED light to make it brighter (did the test at 3AM).

On 10/30/2021 at 11:28 PM, elainmir said:

Optum says their current tests expire December 12th. We are looking at a Dec 26 cruise...should I wait until the 12th and hope they have ones without expiration...I'm so confused about this! 

The website says "May" expire on December 12. This is due to inventory control where the oldest product in stock is shipped first.

If you wait until closer to your cruise date (two-three weeks before), product will have an expiry date beyond your embarkation date.

There has been a problem for the various companies where people are ordering their kits to hoard for future use and not immediate use as home test kits are intended to be used.

On 10/21/2021 at 9:10 PM, UpstateCruizer said:

I have a cruise coming up in 2 weeks. Initially I planned on doing the telemedicine at home Covid tests. We have 3 people going from my family so I figured purchasing 2 boxes of the twin pack would work. However I’ve been told each box has to be registered to the same person so we’d need to purchase 3 boxes at $69 each. This adds up quickly although it would be much less stress. 

Tomorrow is the day we could schedule a CVS rapid test to ensure we’d get the results in time for our cruise. For anyone that has scheduled a Covid appointment at CVS do you know what time they open the new test appointments? I’m thinking that if it’s midnight I may stay up tonight although mot ideal. 

Thanks for any input from actual experiences. 

Back in September we made appointments 2 weeks out at CVS for a cruise on the Pride. I did not stalk the site or stay up until midnight the day I was able to schedule the test 2 weeks out meeting the 2 days prior to the cruise requirement. Made the appointment, showed up, got tested, results in about half an hour, good to go on cruise. We sail again this Saturday. Did the same thing, made an appointment at the same CVS 2 weeks out for tomorrow. About an hour ago I changed the appointment time to earlier in the day, no problem there. So we anticipate or at least hope for a similar experience tomorrow. We also ordered the approved home test, as sort of a backup, but may not use them, unless we are canceled for some reason. But at our CVS, the process was so smooth and quick, we can probably get to the CVS, less than a mile away, take the test, get back home and have the results almost quicker than waiting on a proctor for the home test. But have the home test just in case. As someone else mentioned, here in the DC area, CVS seems to be running smooth and reliable, but get that may not be the case in other locations.

I bought the 2 pack test and did the proctored test.  It was SUPER easy - you just call and I waited maybe 30 seconds to start the process.  Very important not to move the test out of the camera screen during the 15 min wait (the proctor leaves and a new one joins).  Then I got an email with the test results and it is in the app and looks like a boarding pass.  I will do this from now on instead of driving somewhere to get a test.

Just venture down to MCO and do a rapid test there on your way to port.  There have to be plenty of test sites in and around your area between County Health testing, Universities, CVS, Walgreens.  Check local libraries,  they're permitting testing at some of out local libraries in Leon County. There's also a test site on Mercer island.