Would you rather: Retreat (sky suite) on Apex or suite on Crystal?

micmacmissy

8 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

We enjoy our cruising and found this thread interesting.   We so enjoy Celebrity cruises (50+), Small ship, within a big ship concept.   However we have taken 4 Crystal cruises that have truly been less "Form" and far more "function"......Older ships, Smaller cabins etc.  However Crystal smashes it out of the park with Excellent food, Drink and crew.  Also, their ships are older, but classically elegant.   Crystals food is better than Luminae and better quality then what celebrity is serving, across the board.   Celebrity spends more on the Advertising and "Asian shopping mall concept"  than the actual product. When you sail other brands (with a good chef in the kitchen 😉 ) this is clear.   Celebrity has made themselves into beautiful ships, GREAT crew, however on Edge and Apex you could be in any shopping mall built in Asia between 2018-2021.... Perhaps I am aging out though?  Could be.  Enjoy it all regardless!  Safe Sails.  

I definitely believe that happens to many of us and all for the right reasons; life is short, so seize the ship!

8 minutes ago, cruiseerf said:

We enjoy our cruising and found this thread interesting.   We so enjoy Celebrity cruises (50+), Small ship, within a big ship concept.   However we have taken 4 Crystal cruises that have truly been less "Form" and far more "function"......Older ships, Smaller cabins etc.  However Crystal smashes it out of the park with Excellent food, Drink and crew.  Also, their ships are older, but classically elegant.   Crystals food is better than Luminae and better quality then what celebrity is serving, across the board.   Celebrity spends more on the Advertising and "Asian shopping mall concept"  than the actual product. When you sail other brands (with a good chef in the kitchen 😉 ) this is clear.   Celebrity has made themselves into beautiful ships, GREAT crew, however on Edge and Apex you could be in any shopping mall built in Asia between 2018-2021.... Perhaps I am aging out though?  Could be.  Enjoy it all regardless!  Safe Sails.  

What is the “Asian shopping mall concept “??

On 10/27/2021 at 9:04 AM, micmacmissy said:

Costs and itinerary are pretty comparable.

We are looking for a quiet luxury experience with good food and few kids.  We don't want a fight for seating at the pool or blasting music when we're trying to relax (no, we aren't elderly, we just travel like we are, LOL!)

We've sailed X several times before but never in a suite.  

Which would you pick?

I am over the pool, but love my huge balcony on E Class's Sunset Suite, especially on TA's.  Lots of walking to the Retreat and other venues like the gym help with staying in shape onboard.  The smaller ships do not have all the cardio equipment and weights on their ships, so that has kept my interest level low.  I agree about the kids! S class has nice balconies in the same category, but just not as large.  I also love the bathrooms on E Class.  Also, the Caribbean is not my choice of venue for a cruise, as I also want a much different experience.  

My suggestion would be to do both in the same level and make your own decision with real facts that interst you; that's really the only way to find out about a ship because so many things are subjective and have different levels of interest.  I had a friend who recommended I try a certain ship, so I did and was truly upset with myself because our tastes are truly very different.  I do my own research and reading before making a decision based on how I spend my money, especially for a vacay.  Hopefully, next year will allow me to visit the world once again, as I have an elderly dog who needs constant attention and meds.

Edited by Lastdance

22 hours ago, molemaui said:

I'll be real interested in hearing how the retreat experience is on a non Edge class ship. My understanding is the "reimagined" ships have the lounge, Luminea and a Retreat sundeck but not the private pool. Is that correct? 

We have sailed on all celebrity class ships multiple times.  Each has it's positives and negatives.  Like the M class ships for a more adult type vacation in a smaller venue.  Lumanie is great and the cabins (we take Sky suite and above) very good.  The lounge-is really a wonderful place to hang- and the suite deck- ehh.

The Solstice class we really enjoy, except that the suite deck is poor- no water feature and very hot as shade isn't really available- we don't use it.  Love the specialty  restaurants, especially the lawn club grill on the Solstice and reflection.

The edge is unique- the martini bar was disappointing, but the suite deck was excellent.  A full bar, light lunch served if you wish, shade available and a water feature.  Small but adequate pool and hot tub.  Didn't like the sp restaurants as much as the solstice class.  If you book my time dining in a regular cabin, the dining choice of multiple restaurants is wonderful. 

Never did crystal or oceania- but might try oceania some day.

On 11/5/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ken the cruiser said:

Just curious, did you have to wear face masks indoors while onboard? This is not currently a requirement onboard a Celebrity ship.

No, we had to wear one on the tenders only.  It was great.

• Like 1

On 11/5/2021 at 5:45 PM, NCHPcruiser said:

After considering Crystal for years we recently booked a December cruise on the Symphony (also PH Suite) so I am happy to hear that tinaincc had a good experience.    Relaxing, good food and pampering is just what the doctor ordered!  We love Celebrity (never sailed anything but) and will no doubt sail them again though!  

You will have a ball, trust me.  Especially with the Crystal butlers.  If you like the specialty restaurants you will be happy to know that you can have them delivered to your room.  We became fond of the Umi Uma (Nobu) restaurant so we ordered appetizers from there every night to start our evening.  It was truly spectacular. Our butler was seriously perfect. 

On 11/5/2021 at 7:58 PM, molemaui said:

Always enjoyed Celebrity but have always characterized them as " better then average" when compared to other large lines. Then I sailed the Edge in Retreat Class. I thought the experience (ship within a ship, outstanding food in Luninea, and the uncrowded private pool and sundeck) made Celebrity Retreat class a serious contender vs. other upscale lines. (I've sailed Regent, Silversea, Oceania, HAL and Windstar as well). 

Just got off the Edge (Retreat) for our second time and found the experience just as excellent as the first time. Here's the dilemma - Have some time in January and found a well priced Crystal cruise. Seriously thinking of trying Crystal instead of going back to Celebrity or any of the other lines I sail. 

From what I've read, the Crystal experience should mirror Silversea with maybe a bit less formality. 

Am I on the right track? 

Bottom line-all cruising is good. Just want to do it all!

You will be amazed at how great Crystal is, even if only for the food alone. Are you getting a suite?  If so you will be even more wow'ed.  I agree though, any cruise is better than life at work 🙂 enjoy. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1