Would you rather: Retreat (sky suite) on Apex or suite on Crystal?

micmacmissy

Costs and itinerary are pretty comparable.

We are looking for a quiet luxury experience with good food and few kids.  We don't want a fight for seating at the pool or blasting music when we're trying to relax (no, we aren't elderly, we just travel like we are, LOL!)

We've sailed X several times before but never in a suite.  

Which would you pick?

Have not sailed crystal but love celebrity suites , did sister ship edge in a suite in July , retreat outside area has loads of chairs near the pool, never a issue getting one, with a great staff walking around to take your drink orders, suite dining room Luminae is also really nice, great food.

Crystal in a minute! Crystal is true luxury. Much better food and entertainment. I've taken over 100 cruises on X and just 2 on Crystal. I've booked 3 cruises on Crystal in 2022 and only 1 on X. Thinking about booking LA to NY on Crystal.  To save a few dollars you can even take a veranda on Crystal. They all have two sinks and a combination tub/shower in the bathroom. 

Edited by Orator
  • Like 1

On 10/27/2021 at 12:25 PM, Orator said:

Crystal in a minute! Crystal is true luxury. Much better food and entertainment. I've taken over 100 cruises on X and just 2 on Crystal. I've booked 3 cruises on Crystal in 2022 and only 1 on X. Thinking about booking LA to NY on Crystal.  To save a few dollars you can even take a veranda on Crystal. They all have two sinks and a combination tub/shower in the bathroom. 

Wow, that's a big switch after 100 X cruises.

What are the fellow passengers like on Crystal?  We are late 40's from the east coast.

Wow, my honest answer will bring me grief, but you asked and I'll offer my opinion. The Crystal passenger tends to be more refined. It's more like the Celebrity 10 or 15 years ago, before major cutbacks. I've seen behavior on Celebrity that was rare in the past, like noise in the theater. Fewer children on Crystal and fewer problems at the pool. I saw a number of people in their 40's on my 2 cruises, more on the 7 day cruise than the 14 day cruise. A balcony on the LA to NY 18 day cruise is $ 13358. The Suite price for the Celebrity December, 2022 cruise is over $18,500 for 15 nights. Your money, your choice.

Just one additional point: The crew on both lines are really outstanding, but Celebrity in recent years has lost some of their best to other lines. The Captains I know on Celebrity are the best in terms of friendliness and personality. Crystal Captains that I've met are professional, but  personality is lacking.

Edited by Orator

On 10/27/2021 at 9:07 AM, Alakegirl said:

Crystal

We don’t like Eclass but would choose a suite on an S class over Crystal

We think alike. I dont like Crystal's dress code. E Class I dont like the limited food options in Luminae. I did love our mid ship S1 suite. I'll take M or S Class over E Class or Crystal.

First, what itinerary are we talking about, especially if there are a number of sea days? That plays an important role in our decision as Crystal has a wonderful Enrichment program on sea days with outstanding speakers. That is, of course, if you enjoy going to quality lectures where you are wowed by the knowledge being provided.

Now, personally, we do not need a butler, so booking an "A" balcony cabin is just fine with us. Also, the gratuities, beverage package, free internet with 2 devices allowed for each passenger rather than just one, are all included in the price of the cruise fare.

As far food goes, everywhere on a Crystal ship you'll find great food and wonderful service plus the specialty restaurants are free, at least for the first visit. I believe if you want to go a second time, there's a $30 pp charge.

But most importantly everyone on a Crystal cruise is treated the same and you can go everywhere. There is no "suite only" designated areas.

For us, we have cruised in sky suites on the Edge (21 days) and Reflection (21 days), both in the Caribbean and have always had a great time. However, we rarely ever use the Retreat Lounge or any of their other designated areas other than Luminae of course! With Crystal, we did a 21 day Pacific Coast/Mexican Riviera B2B and a 30 day SE Asia B2B where the Serenity docked overnight in the bays in downtown Shanghai and Hong Kong which were simply awesome, which Celebrity's large ships just could not go.

But, again, for us it comes down to itinerary and cost, and unfortunately since Crystal only has 2 ocean liners, the Serenity and Symphony, those cool itineraries can be few and far between.

Edited by Ken the cruiser

• 2 weeks later...

We are big Celebrity cruisers (a couple in our 50's) and we just took our first Crystal cruise (in a PH suite).  It was really amazing.  The butler experience was amazing and the food was really a step above.  The specialty restaurants (included in our suite price) were above anything we have experienced at sea. 

We have a Sky Suite on Celebrity Reflection in March so I will be able to compare the retreat experience then more accurately but I will say that if you are wanting to relax, eat and be pampered I would pick Crystal.  If you want more nightlife and 'activities' I would go with Celebrity.  Just my two cents.

After considering Crystal for years we recently booked a December cruise on the Symphony (also PH Suite) so I am happy to hear that tinaincc had a good experience.    Relaxing, good food and pampering is just what the doctor ordered!  We love Celebrity (never sailed anything but) and will no doubt sail them again though!  

• Like 2

Always enjoyed Celebrity but have always characterized them as " better then average" when compared to other large lines. Then I sailed the Edge in Retreat Class. I thought the experience (ship within a ship, outstanding food in Luninea, and the uncrowded private pool and sundeck) made Celebrity Retreat class a serious contender vs. other upscale lines. (I've sailed Regent, Silversea, Oceania, HAL and Windstar as well). 

Just got off the Edge (Retreat) for our second time and found the experience just as excellent as the first time. Here's the dilemma - Have some time in January and found a well priced Crystal cruise. Seriously thinking of trying Crystal instead of going back to Celebrity or any of the other lines I sail. 

From what I've read, the Crystal experience should mirror Silversea with maybe a bit less formality. 

Am I on the right track? 

Bottom line-all cruising is good. Just want to do it all!

4 hours ago, tinaincc said:

We are big Celebrity cruisers (a couple in our 50's) and we just took our first Crystal cruise (in a PH suite).  It was really amazing.  The butler experience was amazing and the food was really a step above.  The specialty restaurants (included in our suite price) were above anything we have experienced at sea. 

We have a Sky Suite on Celebrity Reflection in March so I will be able to compare the retreat experience then more accurately but I will say that if you are wanting to relax, eat and be pampered I would pick Crystal.  If you want more nightlife and 'activities' I would go with Celebrity.  Just my two cents.

Just curious, did you have to wear face masks indoors while onboard? This is not currently a requirement onboard a Celebrity ship.

1 hour ago, molemaui said:

Always enjoyed Celebrity but have always characterized them as " better then average" when compared to other large lines. Then I sailed the Edge in Retreat Class. I thought the experience (ship within a ship, outstanding food in Luninea, and the uncrowded private pool and sundeck) made Celebrity Retreat class a serious contender vs. other upscale lines. (I've sailed Regent, Silversea, Oceania, HAL and Windstar as well). 

Just got off the Edge (Retreat) for our second time and found the experience just as excellent as the first time. Here's the dilemma - Have some time in January and found a well priced Crystal cruise. Seriously thinking of trying Crystal instead of going back to Celebrity or any of the other lines I sail. 

From what I've read, the Crystal experience should mirror Silversea with maybe a bit less formality. 

Am I on the right track? 

Bottom line-all cruising is good. Just want to do it all!

You are definitely on the right track, you won’t regret trying Crystal, you won’t look back

I've had about 40 Celebrity cruises  in suites, and 5 in Crystal in their suites, including a cruise a couple of weeks ago. There's really no comparison in the overall luxury category, however if a new ship and/or a big ship with new/ big ship amenities is important to you, you won't get that with Crystal's Serenity or Symphony.  Entertainment was far superior on Crystal, surprisingly, if that's important to you.  

I haven't sailed with Crystal but have sailed with Seaborn. 

Just another thought when choosing,  even if the itinerary looks similar I would check out in more detail exactly where each ship is docking. My experience is the smaller ships go to smaller ports, which are less touristy and less crowded. 

1 hour ago, DigbyDumbledore said:

Just another thought when choosing,  even if the itinerary looks similar I would check out in more detail exactly where each ship is docking. My experience is the smaller ships go to smaller ports, which are less touristy and less crowded. 

Which could be an important consideration on certain itineraries.  For example we are looking at an Asia cruise, and are considering Silversea's brand new ship.

Celebrity's large ships would dock at the commercial port 2.5 hrs away from Saigon, while Silverseas' ship would dock closer up river about half an hour away.  Because Saigon is an overnight port, that would be the difference between having to stay in a hotel in Saigon, or being able to go back to the ship.

My only hesitation with the lux lines is I'm concerned we will get bored on the small ships, whereas Celebrity offers a nice Retreat along with amenities of a big ship.  One day we'll break down and give the smaller ships a try, especially if it's port intensive without a lot of sea days.

Have sailed numerous times on Celebrity in a suite and enjoyed it but given a choice would sail on Crystal in a balcony before Celebrity. Food is far superior as is enrichment. Usually we choose Celebrity on the basis of a preferred itinerary 

2 hours ago, DigbyDumbledore said:

That is an important factor. We always take that into consideration on port intensive itineraries. You also have the opportunity to dock at places the big ships don't even consider. 

15 hours ago, tinaincc said:

I'll be real interested in hearing how the retreat experience is on a non Edge class ship. My understanding is the "reimagined" ships have the lounge, Luminea and a Retreat sundeck but not the private pool. Is that correct? 

After quite a bit of experience on Celebrity in sky & celebrity suites, this summer I gave Crystal a try in their penthouse w/butler(equivalent to Sky "suite"). With the exception of Luminae, (at least pre-pandemic memories of it), for me just about everything was preferable on Crystal. Although there is no dining room quite as  private at Luminae, the quality of food was a cut or so above. If your tastes in music run more towards American songbook than top 40 and if you don't require splashy production value in your shows as long as the talent is really great, then Crystal's entertainment is more consistently a "win". Although I deeply value the friendliness of the crew on Celebrity, I found the Crystal folks having a bit more polish. I spend lots of time in my room; although no one ever complains to me on Celeb, it's fairly normal for me to find a steward hovering outside my door in anticipation of my finally freeing up the room.   No such hovering on Crystal and everything was always taken care of during my "short" absences.

Last week I did a quick trip on Summit to try out the post-revolution situation and am headed out this week for my first try of Azamara in a Cont suite. Planning a cross line comparison once I'm done. 

• Like 3

On 11/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, tinaincc said:

Unfortunately the Reflection does not offer the total Retreat experience as there is no Retreat Sundeck & Pool or Bar.  The former Michaels Club was renamed the Retreat Lounge.  We have been in suites on both S & M Class but the Suite life on E class is much better.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We enjoy our cruising and found this thread interesting.   We so enjoy Celebrity cruises (50+), Small ship, within a big ship concept.   However we have taken 4 Crystal cruises that have truly been less "Form" and far more "function"......Older ships, Smaller cabins etc.  However Crystal smashes it out of the park with Excellent food, Drink and crew.  Also, their ships are older, but classically elegant.   Crystals food is better than Luminae and better quality then what celebrity is serving, across the board.   Celebrity spends more on the Advertising and "Asian shopping mall concept"  than the actual product. When you sail other brands (with a good chef in the kitchen 😉 ) this is clear.   Celebrity has made themselves into beautiful ships, GREAT crew, however on Edge and Apex you could be in any shopping mall built in Asia between 2018-2021.... Perhaps I am aging out though?  Could be.  Enjoy it all regardless!  Safe Sails.  

Edited by cruiseerf
  • Thanks 1

On 10/28/2021 at 11:49 AM, cruisestitch said:

I have sailed on both lines.  I would take Crystal over edge, apex or beyond.  I would take S or M class over Crystal. 

I was totally unaware that Beyond was in the water and open for business...Hmmm.  But yes, I guess you made your point on here.  Do you cruise in suites on Crystal?  I am just not ready for the smaller ships, but maybe in a few years.  I love S class, but am excited for Beyond's TA in a suite.  Once I cruise all three, maybe Crystal will be next to try.  It is great that we all have choices.

• Like 1