Mardi Gras Cabin size for Fluffy Cruisers

Trishlo73

My husband and I are fluffy people and I've read several reviews on the Mardi Gras that the cabins and bathrooms are really small.

My question is for other fluffy cruisers that have been on Mardi Gras did you have a problem with the size of the shower? Did you fit? My husband and I are over 300lbs.

I was in a MG suite last week and the bathroom was a tiny bit larger than my suite on the Breeze. The shower was not cramped with the door vs. the shower with the fake jetted tub on the Breeze. 
The room itself was much smaller (feeling if not reality). Balcony is about the same size as a balcony on other ships. 
I really think the MG suite is a misclassified Balcony room. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

The square footage of a regular Carnival cabin is 185 square ft in the cabins in the rest of the fleet besides the MG.  On the Mardi Gras, it's 158 square ft in an inside and 205 square ft in an Oceanview or Balcony cabin.  

I am a fluffy man myself  and have never had any problems with the Carnival bathroom and shower on any of my previous 20 Carnival cruises over the past 35 years covering 7 different classes of ship's.

If you are really concerned you could book a HC cabin since the shower is substantially larger, but be prepared to be moved if someone with a wheelchair or scooter needs it.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, May1cruiser said:

Well.....I could tell if felt smaller than the other rooms and bathrooms than the other 9 carnival ships I have sailed. Most noticeable on balcony and the space on each side of the bed. 

It's in your head.  The actual square footage in a balcony cabin is 205 and 44 in the balcony on the MG, whereas it's 185 and 35 in the rest of the fleet. These numbers are directly from Carnival's website.

We were in an Ocean Suite. The tightest area, to us, was moving around the foot of the bed. The wall and large, protruding television, made for a contortion to avoid head whack. Barely could get our legs through, leaning forward over the bed. Packing, on the last night was uniquely challenging.

But, we loved the ship and have three more bookings on her.

Edited by 2Shoes2Go
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, 2Shoes2Go said:

The tightest area, to us, was moving around the foot of the bed.

I totally agree - it's the configuration.  I'm not a very big person, and walking past the bed to get to the couch or balcony, I would hit my shin on the bedframe or catch my shoulder on the TV.  

• Like 3

• 5 months later...

I feel like this post is very misleading. I am a fluffy person as you call it, 5'10 and weigh less than 300 pounds. The room is smaller but totally Ok. The balcony is smaller, if you put the table between the chairs a chair is partially blocking the door. Not a deal breaker for me because this ship is incredible.

My biggest complaint is the bathroom and after being on this ship twice I don't think  I would return or try another Carnival new ship. There is approximately 2' by 2 ' of floor space. I fit in the beautiful glass shower door with no problem but I saw many on the cruise larger than I and wondered if they fit. And the toilet space is laughable. You can sit on it but it you try to spread your legs you hit the sink vanity. That is a major fail for me.

People come in all shapes and sizes but I think this bathroom is made too small for some people. After the first time I knew what to expect but this time  I noticed that I had to go out in the cabin to dry off. Because I am tall and have a long arm reach it was just not even enough space to comfortly dry off.

Just remember in regards to showering, you can always go to the GYM/SPA and shower for free.  They are HUGE.  I do it regardless of which ship I am on.  Easier for shaving and such.

MG bathroom was narrow and tight for us.  I was in a Spa Balcony.  Hubs is 6' and 230lbs.  It was just doable and by no means the THROWN that he is used to😁

• Like 2

DH and DS tend to use the spa/gym showers and dressing areas before dinner while I get the cabin bathroom to myself.  Just makes more sense if we all need to shower and dressing for dinner.  Great alternative for families or someone that just needs/wants a little extra room to move around.  

On 4/26/2022 at 1:28 PM, Drazil65 said:

DH and DS tend to use the spa/gym showers and dressing areas before dinner while I get the cabin bathroom to myself.  Just makes more sense if we all need to shower and dressing for dinner.  Great alternative for families or someone that just needs/wants a little extra room to move around.  

exactamundo, i used the free spa/gym bathroom on magic all week and it was great..

Im on the Celebration in 2024 as we all know is a carbon copy of the Mardi Gras..My wife and i booked a spa suite on deck 17.. I will 100% let her use the bathroom while i take the private elevator down to the spa and get ready there. 

It literally takes 3 minutes to get in the spa and i have so much room. The wife thinks im nuts but i dont see her comlaining.

• Like 1

In case you've never seen Gabriel Iglesias, here is his "Six Levels of ..." I'm a fluffy too at 6'3" and 280.

I will also say that you've never really seen a small shower until you've been on a WWII aircraft carrier. With "water hours" the entire deployment of 10 months. We got about 50 minutes of water every 4 hours, then it was shut off for about 3 hours.

Edited by SDPadreFan
  • Haha 3

I have also enjoyed using the spacious showers in the fitness/spa areas on previous Carnival ships. When I was on the Mardi Gras last July, I didn't go look for the showers in the spa areas. I am looking at the deck plan now and don't see where the showers are for guests who are not in Spa Rooms. Does anyone know if the Mardi Gras has showers for non-spa room guests?

On 10/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, Trishlo73 said:

My husband and I are fluffy people and I've read several reviews on the Mardi Gras that the cabins and bathrooms are really small.

My question is for other fluffy cruisers that have been on Mardi Gras did you have a problem with the size of the shower? Did you fit? My husband and I are over 300lbs.

We have been on the Mardi Gras and as a friend of mine said when using the bathroom, "He had to ask his partner to leave so he could open the bathroom door to wipe and then use vaseline to get out", Truth is I did not think bathrooms could get any smaller.  The shower was fine and loved the glass door but my husband and I could use at the same time and not the case on the MG. Be aware and don't make my mistake, I complained to hubby how terrible the bathroom tissue was until I realized I was using kleenex.  You will see what I mean.  With all this said we spend little time in our room and the ship is beautiful and worth going on.

The bathrooms also have a towel bar for hand towels directly in front of the sink (in the way 100% of the time) and the toilet tissue holder is behind your arm on the left side.  I am blind in my left eye and have little peripheral vision, so that was initially challenging.

• 1 month later...
On 4/28/2022 at 2:52 PM, SaucyWench said:

I have also enjoyed using the spacious showers in the fitness/spa areas on previous Carnival ships. When I was on the Mardi Gras last July, I didn't go look for the showers in the spa areas. I am looking at the deck plan now and don't see where the showers are for guests who are not in Spa Rooms. Does anyone know if the Mardi Gras has showers for non-spa room guests?

I believe that you do have access to this, in the locker room. We have been on MG twice, the first time we got the spa access but the second time we did not And my husband always takes his showers there. I just cannot bring myself to do it. Although I may on our next cruise on the celebration.

• Like 1

IMO, the configuration makes it look smaller,  Bathroom is definitely smaller.  DW had her stuff all out and over the floor vs just out and 1/2 the vanity.  As DW is a Spa Queen, I was able to use the men's spa locker room for showers and shaving. Those felt like regular cabin showers on the Vista class ships.

On 4/27/2022 at 6:44 PM, SDPadreFan said:

In case you've never seen Gabriel Iglesias, here is his "Six Levels of ..." I'm a fluffy too at 6'3" and 280.

He's hilarious!! would love to see him on a cruise ship!

For those of you who go to the spa/gym showers, it’s great you enjoy doing that.  If we’re paying for a cabin with a private bathroom, it better be usable without requiring contortions to use it. That’s absolutely greedy & entirely disrespectful to the passengers.  Haven’t tried MG yet, but if that’s really the case when we do, we’ll be making some inquiries to several people.  How would these tight quarters fair during an emergency?  Take, take & take some more in unison with charging more, more and more.  Good heavens! 

On 4/26/2022 at 12:50 PM, Caps_Shield said:

The bathroom is my biggest concern for this ship.  I have heard that it is tight.  I plan on public bathrooms I guess like @hockeyluver 's husband did.  I also hear the public bathrooms have a trick to locking the door.  Need to look into that too I guess.  

I recall having to wave your hand to open the main door of public restrooms, but don't recall any fancy locking mechanism for stall doors.

8 hours ago, crewsweeper said:

I recall having to wave your hand to open the main door of public restrooms, but don't recall any fancy locking mechanism for stall doors.

Not all the bathrooms have trick doors. The ones that do are handicapped and you just have to read the signs. They do lock, but apparently people do not read because I did walk in on a man. They are slow, to allow time for a wheelchair so those are not the best to use. But there ae plenty of other public restrooms.

8 hours ago, silvercrikhix said:

For those of you who go to the spa/gym showers, it’s great you enjoy doing that.  If we’re paying for a cabin with a private bathroom, it better be usable without requiring contortions to use it. That’s absolutely greedy & entirely disrespectful to the passengers.  Haven’t tried MG yet, but if that’s really the case when we do, we’ll be making some inquiries to several people.  How would these tight quarters fair during an emergency?  Take, take & take some more in unison with charging more, more and more.  Good heavens! 

I agree that I pay for a private cabin with a private bathroom but these are too small. I am not sure that "fluffy" people would rebook with Mardi gras. There were many people on that ship that I do not know how they fit in their bathrooms. It is a deal breaker for me. My last cruise and my next 2 are with another cruise line. If their new ship has the same bathroom issue that will be a no go back to me also. But I have been on a megaship before on another line and do not remember having that problem.