Cunard Queens Grill v Celebrity The Retreat

Stu UK

We have recently been lucky enough to to sail on Cunard Queen Elizabeth in a Q6 Queens Grill Suite as well as onboard Celebrity Apex in The Retreat.  We have put together a video that explains our views on how the two experiences compare.  

We are UK cruisers so onboard Cunard do not tend to receive any drinks / tips package.  On Celebrity we tend to receive their premium drinks package, tips, Wi-Fi and onboard credit.  On our Apex cruise we were in a Royal Suite but have done the video from a Sky Suite perspective to make a fair comparison.

We are not ballroom dancers so that draw of Cunard is not a feature for us.

We hope you enjoy watching and look forward to hearing any thoughts / your own experiences.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

With our first Celebrity suite and first Cunard suite upcoming, it was serendipity that I found your video.  Excellent presentation.  While both will be different experiences, I fully expect to enjoy them to the max.  Coincidentally, the Edge will be a warm water destination and Queen Elizabeth will be cold - the best of both worlds it appears.

Thank you.

• Like 1

Very informative. Thank you.

I think it reinforces the fact the QG restaurant facility of same table with same wait staff available for every meal, at our convenience,  is the facility which differentiates our chosen cruise line against any other, at the moment.

1 hour ago, Victoria2 said:

Very informative. Thank you.

I think it reinforces the fact the QG restaurant facility of same table with same wait staff available for every meal, at our convenience,  is the facility which differentiates our chosen cruise line against any other, at the moment.

I agree fixed table, any time dinning is a great benefit, but not unique to Cunard. According to  Solent  Richards blog one of the unpublished benefits of a Saga suite is a fixed table at their restaurant,  which is anytime dinning . Will let you know next spring.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Windsurfboy said:

I agree fixed table, any time dinning is a great benefit, but not unique to Cunard. According to  Solent  Richards blog one of the unpublished benefits of a Saga suite is a fixed table at their restaurant,  which is anytime dinning . Will let you know next spring.

Saga is not on our agenda for a couple of reasons but I look forward to your thoughts. I  am aware Saga has a few fixed dining opps., so sorry if I gave the impression it was unique to Cunard. I must choose my words more carefully. 🙂

Thank you for taking the time and making this comparison, for the benefit of others. 
We have not been on Celebrity for a few years, certainly pre “Retreat” days on the Equinox and Eclipse. On these ships we found the suites under the buffet could be very noisy: such a shame they were not one deck lower. They need to be selected with care.

After your informative review, if we take another Caribbean trip, there is a great temptation to stay in the Retreat on the more modern ships.

For now we have 2 more QG trips to look forward to, and perhaps could be enticed again, on the soon to be released QE spring voyages!

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

4 hours ago, Windsurfboy said:

3 hours ago, Victoria2 said:

Saga is not on our agenda for a couple of reasons but I look forward to your thoughts. I  am aware Saga has a few fixed dining opps., so sorry if I gave the impression it was unique to Cunard. I must choose my words more carefully. 🙂

Very correct @Windsurfboy . 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/12/17/sagas-spirit-of-discovery-16-night-cruise/

And the advantage didn't end there. With inclusive wines at lunch and dinner the wine waiters soon learn that your wine tastes exceed the average daily offering of wines and adjusted ours accordingly. 

Needless to say Saga's 'gratuities included' banner was torn down in that department. 😄

On 10/29/2021 at 4:48 PM, Solent Richard said:

Very correct @Windsurfboy . 

https://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2019/12/17/sagas-spirit-of-discovery-16-night-cruise/

And the advantage didn't end there. With inclusive wines at lunch and dinner the wine waiters soon learn that your wine tastes exceed the average daily offering of wines and adjusted ours accordingly. 

Needless to say Saga's 'gratuities included' banner was torn down in that department. 😄

Richard I very much value your opinion would you recommend Saga? As a solo I would value the limo transfer especially and unlimited quality drinks even more

We cruise regularly with Celebrity in upper suites and in the Penthouse or Royal suites a bar set up in the suite is included in a similar way the Queens Grill. 

We have a Q2 booked next year to the Fjords but I am slightly worried about the cost of drinks on the ship. On Celebrity we are used to every thing being included in the cost of our fare and I have to be honest and say we do have a few drinks throughout the day when on holiday. I for one usually prefer cocktails so I suspect most of my chosen drinks would be outside the packages on Cunard.

How pricy are the drinks at the various bars and are drinks packages worth it? I can't seem to find any definative bar tarifs or menus for Cunard online.

I’m in the Princess Grill and have to say that I’ve never experienced dining or service like this. Perhaps it is extra special given the recent return. It blows even Crystal speciality dining far out of the water. I’m not sure my waistline would survive QG!  

I will be on the Apex or Beyond in the Retreat this summer, but my next few are on Cunard, which will always be my favorite because the dancing opportunity is so superior. 

On 10/30/2021 at 5:11 PM, ccpm said:

Richard I very much value your opinion would you recommend Saga? As a solo I would value the limo transfer especially and unlimited quality drinks even more

Hi there. Yes, full recommendation. Indeed, as far as a 'sole' goes I'd say Sage were the best cruise line to consider. Their care and consideration is exemplary. 

No doubt about it.

Re the worry above about cost of drinks, I actually  prefer not to have a drinks package,  not to save money , but to buy the wine i really like.  

That is my one bugbear with included packages or all inclusive  ships. If you want something not on package the allowances rarely match what youve all ready spent.  So Cunard scores a plus in making drinks package optional.  One slight exception is Saga, you pay more for a bottle of better wine , but prices are circa UK retail , circa Cunard 3 times UK retail per bottle minus 25% if you have a drinks package. 

Thus I don't use Cunard drinks package, but would use the Commodore wine collection as it has some wines I like. But always check on board they are in stock, not been substituted. 

Compared to cost of any grills suite Cunard drinks bill would be relatively small. Unless you buy wine way way better than any package. 

On our August Cruise I ordered a Commodore's wine package to split between us and Jane's father. When I told him the cost of 4 bottles he almost had a heart attack, I had to show him the Wine List from Gaucho's (an upmarket UK steakhouse chain)  that the price of the wine was way cheaper than them - example - A bottle of Cloudy Bay Sav Blanc was GBP75 in Gaucho's GBP44 as part of the Package and GBP26 retail in Majestic. 

I find Cunard to be expensive, but that is tempered by the fact I'm not sat in front of the TV while eating crisps and swigging from the bottle. I'm in a very nice restaurant, being attended by excellent wait staff and for that I expect to pay a little more.

Edited by rakkor
Added link to Gaucho's wine
  • Like 2