DINING COMPANIONS

1947wwjd

28 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Rude people.  I can be pretty direct if I want to be.  Not sure if I would say something or just turn to the person next to me.  Anyone deal with this successfully?

This has happened to us in the past, but fortunately never on Celebrity.  We just politely asked to be moved to a table for two for the duration of the cruise.  We have no desire to start a confrontation with fellow passengers while on vacation.  Now, we never accept anything but a two top.  If folks sitting close by start up a conversation we most certainly will oblige, unless it starts to feel uncomfortable.  We observe large groups of people dining together and after a few minutes we’re always are grateful it’s not us.

Edited by Lady Arwen

2 minutes ago, Lady Arwen said:

This has happened to us in the past, but fortunately never on Celebrity.  We just politely asked to be moved to a table for two for the duration of the cruise.  We have no desire to start a confrontation with fellow passengers while on vacation.  Now, we never accept anything but a two top.  If folks sitting close by start up a conversation we most certainly will oblige, unless it starts to feel uncomfortable.  We observe large groups of people dining together and after a few minutes we’re always are grateful it’s not us.

@chemmo was using the example of a Chef's Table.  You might be listening to the host or trying to, and moving to another table might make that difficult.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, zitsky said:

Rude people.  I can be pretty direct if I want to be.  Not sure if I would say something or just turn to the person next to me.  Anyone deal with this successfully?

A bit of grace comes in handy, here. At something like a Chef's Table when the speaker was speaking, I might go with a polite "excuse me" and redirect my attention to the speaker.  At some other dinner, I might do the same and ask a waiter or sommelier or DW a question and then quickly change the subject or just eat. All the while, I avoid deepening the engagement with much in the way of conversation.

I'll do my best to avoid offending the person, but that sometimes is a fool's errand.

On 11/5/2021 at 3:50 PM, the penguins said:

Not allowed on Silhouette this summer you could only sit with people you had a linked booking with - bookings could not be linked after boarding.

We were on Millie last month. We dined in Blu with our friends every night. We did not link our reservations together before or on the cruise. It is always interesting when Celebrity is not consistent from ship to ship. Millie everyone had to be Covid vaccinated, less 12 and under. 12 and under were tested at the pier.

1 hour ago, Lady Arwen said:

We observe large groups of people dining together and after a few minutes we’re always are grateful it’s not us.

We are the same-- Table for 2 every time ---- " just in case " .

From what we have noticed , and experienced a long time ago, there is usually one " blabbermouth "   ( Remember Ralph Kramden ? )  that hogs the conversation . 

LOL--- He/she would not be interested to look at 639 pictures of our grandchildren or hear " anything " I would want to say about cruising.

As an example , my feelings about the AI , people that remove Gratuities, Lounge Hogs, Slobs in the " Slugfest on 14 " ( buffet ), my thoughts about Whose on Board , or even the " competitiveness " ( ?? ) in the putting contest. 

LOL-- After rereading my comments above, I'm not sure I would want to sit with me either.

• Haha 1

My favorites NOT are the ones from another country who are "experts" on my government and expound without a thought.

Another favorite recently was a couple who were on the same cruise I was a few months earlier on HAL and said they hated how many walkers were around.  I smiled sweetly and pointed to mine and said I was one of them.  Not another word from them throughout dinner. 

But those are only two examples.  Over the many years of cruising, I found great tablemates and loved every minute.   Being a solo traveler I look forward to meeting people.  My cats are not good at conversation.

Edited by esther e
Misspelled.

3 minutes ago, Pinboy said:

We are the same-- Table for 2 every time ---- " just in case " .

From what we have noticed , and experienced a long time ago, there is usually one " blabbermouth "   ( Remember Ralph Kramden ? )  that hogs the conversation . 

LOL--- He/she would not be interested to look at 639 pictures of our grandchildren or hear " anything " I would want to say about cruising.

As an example , my feelings about the AI , people that remove Gratuities, Lounge Hogs, Slobs in the " Slugfest on 14 " ( buffet ), my thoughts about Whose on Board , or even the " competitiveness " ( ?? ) in the putting contest. 

LOL-- After rereading my comments above, I'm not sure I would want to sit with me either.

lol I’m sure you’re quite the opposite!  You’re Canadian!  We’ve been fortunate to meet some really lovely folks at bars and on excursions, who we chose to dine with later on, either in the MDR or a specialty restaurant.  However, we always start the cruise at a table for two.  I would make an exception, of course, if you were on the same cruise.  Now, that would be interesting! lol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, esther e said:

My favorites NOT are the ones from another country who are "experts" on my government and expound without a thought.

Another favorite recently was a couple who were on the same cruise I was a few months earlier on HAL and said they hated how many walkers were around.  I smiled sweetly and pointed to mine and said I was one of them.  Not another word from them throughout dinner. 

But those are only two examples.  Over the many years of cruising, I found great tablemates and loved every minute.   Being a solo traveler I look forward to meeting people.  My cats are not good at conversation.

Ok I'm curious.  Why would someone complain about walkers?  Were they complaining about people being too slow?  Worried about a trip hazard?

Probably just making a point of them not needing one (yet) and feeling superior.  I don't love using one, but it's better than the alternative of faelling.  And they weren't young either.  I would think about my age.  

Having said that I have seen people with scooters who will go down the middle of a hallway, so that either walkers or people have to get out of their way.  Too bad everyone can't just be kind and considerate -- life is too short not to be.

• Like 1

my dining companion is a good book that I take with me everywhere on the ship.

I find the initial conversation boring on where do you live, how many cruises have you done, etc etc.

Not interested in doing the bread basket dance or what seat can I sit at one the next day or the next.

some folks want to sit in the exact seat they started with.

oh and some folks only want to talk to those they came on board with.  So as a solo I quickly can size up the situation and find that I just want to read my book.

It is actually easier to make conversations in other venues like the pool or solarium, at shows, or in line somewhere.   So me and my BOOK for dinner or buffet.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...