Teach me about dining!

khuselid

Hi all,

Just booked today and just went in to check out dining options. There are a few openings for the 2 restaurants but they are all for 8:30 or 9:30pm. WAY too late for us!! So what is the deal?? Is there no main dining room? If we can't get reservations that can work what are the options. Do more options open up once we are on the ship?

I did try to reserve the first night and got a message that said 'email cannot be blank' . There was no place to put an email, just a reserve button???

Curious, Kim

Edited by khuselid
forgot a thought

11 hours ago, khuselid said:

Hi all,

Just booked today and just went in to check out dining options. There are a few openings for the 2 restaurants but they are all for 8:30 or 9:30pm. WAY too late for us!! So what is the deal?? Is there no main dining room? If we can't get reservations that can work what are the options. Do more options open up once we are on the ship?

I did try to reserve the first night and got a message that said 'email cannot be blank' . There was no place to put an email, just a reserve button???

Curious, Kim

Viking has a main dining room, located at the aft end of Deck 2. On sea days, it opens for breakfast & lunch and every evening for dinner - 18:00 to 21:00. You may find reservations online for the MDR, but many reports mentioned they weren't sent to the ship.

They have 2 alternative restaurants - Chefs Table & Manfredi's. Both are open for dinner and based on cabin category can be booked pre-cruise. Personally, we never book dinner reservations pre-cruise, making them on any given day. We will check the cabin telly and most often will find a time that works for us. You can also just turn up and ask if any tables are available. We have always been accommodated. Note - our experience is World Cruises, which might have different usage.

In addition you have the World Cafe up on Deck 7 and 24/7 cabin service.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, khuselid said:

Hi all,

Curious, Kim

You might get even more responses if you posted this under the general Viking category, than just Orion.  Another suggestion - there have been so many posts on this subject, it would be helpful to do a search on them.  I also think Clay sent you the Tips for Viking Newcomers thread.

In any case, during these COVID times, we've seen dining reservations always seem to only show very late or very early.  A couple theories - Viking is not make all their available tables open for pre-reservations and keeping a large amount available for those arriving on the ship.   Or they may be making sure they have spacing among the tables as well.

In any case, DO NOT worry!  It has been our experience that there are always tables available pretty much when you want, at the specialty restaurants, except perhaps 7 PM.

1 - Lots of people cancel their pre-made reservations after a couple days.  They merely booked placeholders.

2 - When you get onboard, go look at available openings and I'm sure you'll find several to your liking, especially after the first few days!

Enjoy!

• Like 2

11 hours ago, CCWineLover said:

You might get even more responses if you posted this under the general Viking category, than just Orion.

@khuselid  Kim, here's what went wrong.  It's not your fault. CC had removed the troublemaker (start new topic) but the most recent upgrade restored. It is confusing a lot people.

image.png.1f1c44b8af9a1ab1eff364b272ef6eb1.png

In the roll calls, always choose the big blue button to post in the roll call and you will be fine.  Never choose "start new topic;" it is a trap door you don't want to fall down.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/3/2021 at 10:17 PM, khuselid said:

Hi all,

Curious, Kim

@khuselid

Howdy Kim! emo22.gif

To help you out your new thread has been moved to the Viking Ocean forum. That way your inquiry will be seen by more members.

Don't forget, after your cruise be sure to submit your review for publication by Cruise Critic. Many cruisers will benefit from your experience! emo49.gif  See How To: Submit a Member Review.

I hope this will be helpful and glad to have you aboard Cruise Critic! emo35.gif

Happy sails,

Host Kat emo32.gif  

• Thanks 1

Reservations are not needed for The Restaurant.

On our recent 7 day cruise we ate at Manfredi's and The Chef's Table twice each, thinking that perhaps we should try to make the most of "more exclusive" destinations.

I enjoyed the sense of occasion associated with Chef's Table but, unlike almost everyone else, I was actually underwhelmed by Manfredi's.

For me The Restaurant was actually the star of the ship, with consistently excellent service and food, and new items on the menus every day - backed by "old favorites". It's also the only venue with table cloths, for what that's worth. For our next cruise we will make a point of taking more meals at The Restaurant, as I felt we actually missed out a little last time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WanderingBrit said:

Reservations are not needed for The Restaurant.

On our recent 7 day cruise we ate at Manfredi's and The Chef's Table twice each, thinking that perhaps we should try to make the most of "more exclusive" destinations.

I enjoyed the sense of occasion associated with Chef's Table but, unlike almost everyone else, I was actually underwhelmed by Manfredi's.

For me The Restaurant was actually the star of the ship, with consistently excellent service and food, and new items on the menus every day - backed by "old favorites". It's also the only venue with table cloths, for what that's worth. For our next cruise we will make a point of taking more meals at The Restaurant, as I felt we actually missed out a little last time.

We enjoy every dining venue on the Viking ships. Like you, we were not impressed with our first visit to Manfredi's, but it was just one of those quirks where we both chose poorly from the menu for our taste. Subsequent visits have been excellent, and I could (but shouldn't ) make a meal of the bread basket!

• Like 1

We were on a 7 day Mediterranean cruise and I too was very underwhelmed by the Chef's table dinner and also Manfredi's - but the other 5 days dinner in The Restaurant were fantastic.  Next cruise, I won't bother with the other dining venues

• Like 1