QM2 USA

BigMac1953

2 minutes ago, bluemarble said:

it appears Cunard is not clarifying the situation via the e-tickets since nothing is listed for the disembarkation terminal in New York on the e-tickets.

That is correct. There's an entry for the embarkation terminal in Southampton, but the disembarkation terminal entry is simply blank.

• Like 1

I used the "Contact" form for the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal to ask if QM2 is going to be docking in Brooklyn on Dec 20-22. I got this prompt reply back from General Manager Ken Winkler.

"QM2 is tentatively scheduled for Dec 20-22 in Brooklyn. Pending CDC approval."

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, bluemarble said:

Pending CDC approval.

I guess that's why it doesn't appear on the terminal's schedule. I hope the issue is CDC's approval of the use of Red Hook/Brooklyn versus it's approval of the entire voyage! There do have to be several agreements in place in order to open a terminal. Here's a bit of the 'Conditional Sail Order'

A foreign-flagged cruise ship operator must document the approval of all U.S. port and local health authorities where the ship intends to dock or make port during one or more simulated voyages or restricted passenger voyages as a condition of receiving or retaining controlled free pratique for conducting one or more simulated voyages or obtaining and retaining a COVID-19 Conditional Sailing Certificate. 

• Like 1

Well this is good news in a way.  It means *if* the QM2 arrives in NY on December 20, it will likely be Brooklyn (or maybe the CDC dictates using Cape Liberty?). The bad / worrisome news is this whole crossing isn't quite as nailed down at this point as one would have thought.

Fingers (and everything else) crossed. 

@frankp01, @ClipperinSFO

I have just had this reply from Cunard UK part of which is

Thank you for your email. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in our reply. 

After communication with our Port Operations Team, I can advise that Queen Mary 2 is scheduled to be docked at Pier 12, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for her visits to New York on 20/21/22 December 2021 and 03 January 2022 during voyage M403B. 

Hopefully we can now get on with preparing for this cruise

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/15/2021 at 7:23 PM, kohl1957 said:

"W.N.A."  Winter North Atlantic.  5 days or 21 .... no thanks.

If QM2's planned schedule actually takes place, it will include the first North Atlantic winter crossings on the UK-NY route  (proper ones, not "positioning" or segments of a world cruise) since R.M.S. QUEEN ELIZABETH in... 1968.  RAFFAELLO made the last regularly scheduled winter crossing of the North Atlantic in 1975 (in March... her last in fact) but that, at least was to/from the Mediterranean.  Southampton-NY in January is frozen salt spray and that bedside lamp rattling all the way across. 

I love days at sea. But like the ones I enjoyed en route to Cape Town in CENTAUR and ST. HELENA... day after day of cloudless skies and reasonably smooth seas.  Southampton to New York in January... alas the averages are not encouraging. 

I believe Raffaello's last voyage was April 21, 1975, according to Maurizio Eliseo's definitive book on the twins. I saw the ship off that day in Manhattan, having sailed in her for two crossings in 1974. I know Leonardo da Vinci made winter crossings well into 1976.

1 hour ago, bobby1119 said:

I believe Raffaello's last voyage was April 21, 1975, according to Maurizio Eliseo's definitive book on the twins. I saw the ship off that day in Manhattan, having sailed in her for two crossings in 1974. 

And I imagine there wasn't a dry eye to be seen.

17 hours ago, Lesanne said:

@frankp01, @ClipperinSFO

I have just had this reply from Cunard UK part of which is

Thank you for your email. Please accept our sincere apologies for the delay in our reply. 

After communication with our Port Operations Team, I can advise that Queen Mary 2 is scheduled to be docked at Pier 12, Brooklyn Cruise Terminal for her visits to New York on 20/21/22 December 2021 and 03 January 2022 during voyage M403B. 

Hopefully we can now get on with preparing for this cruise

Thanks, Lesanne.  We continue to make plans for our crossing and now have a hotel in Southampton for the night before we board, plus plans for when we arrive in NY.  Hopefully all will be OK.

• 3 weeks later...

I just noticed what @frankp01 saw Thursday morning and reported on his Dec. 13 roll call. The "nycruise.com" website updated their schedule for the remainder of 2021 and added the schedule for 2022. They are showing QM2 at Brooklyn for all her scheduled calls at New York through 2022.

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

Edited by bluemarble
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, bluemarble said:

I just noticed what @frankp01 saw Thursday morning and reported on his Dec. 13 roll call. The "nycruise.com" website updated their schedule for the remainder of 2021 and added the schedule for 2022. They are showing QM2 at Brooklyn for all her scheduled calls at New York through 2022.

https://www.nycruise.com/schedule/

That's good as I'm on the Jan. 3rd crossing and have booked flight to LaGuardia and a hotel in Brooklyn.