December Around the Mediterranean on Grandiosa...Good Idea or Not?

bill0021

We are looking at doing a 7day on The Grandiosa in December.

It is a path around the Mediterranean.  

Rome, Palermo, Malta, Barcelona, Marseille, Genoa.  

Has anyone done a cold weather Med Cruise?  Recommended or not?

Thanks!

Were on right now and are very lucky that the sun is shining

Ship is beautiful and the entertainment staff do try this best considering all of the languages they have to deal with.

There is a pretty decent sized indoor pool area that I'm sure will be busy in the winter 

If your looking for relaxation and reading book/playing cards etc with your own party in a lovely setting with friendly staff then I would say go for it at the right price.

If your looking to be entertained and are a get up and go person who needs to be kept busy then I would maybe say no.

Living here at the southern Med... I'd really to say: That depends on what you want. It's winter. Longer nights... Cold and rainy days are to be expected... But, prices are lower... Less kids aboard... Smaller crowds elsewhere... Only you can really to decide. I've done several October cruises and it's good. I wouldn't mind a winter one... Avoid Christmas and New Year cruises once those are actually at high season pricing... Have a nice day!...

10 hours ago, Couple-Somerset said:

You can still cancel and move your money to a later cruise.

The problem* is I got a heck of a great deal. Pushing the money forward won’t come close to allowing me to book a future cruise without a lot of extra $$$$. I’m sure the ship will be great so not that big a deal. 

* I realize this isn’t actually a problem. 

We were on the Grandiosa with that itinerary in late Nov-Dec 2019. It was one of their earliest voyages. The ship was packed because the outside venues were too cold to use. We had great weather for touring at most of the ports although you can expect rain maybe one day out of seven. Ours was in Palermo which was not pleasant.

If your idea of a good cruise is seeing a new place, eating, drinking and then waking up in a new city to repeat it all again, then a winter Med cruise is a great value for money way to do this.  This year you would need to book excursions from MSC (so make sure there is something in each city that you would like).  The cities will be relatively quiet (compared to summer) and you can get a taste of many cultures in a weeks holiday for a fraction of the cost of a summer Med cruise.

If your idea of a good cruise is eating, drinking and relaxing, then a winter cruise is also a reasonable option.  The drinks, food and entertainment are the same, just the cost is a lower than summer.

If your idea of a good cruise involves lying in the sunshine, then obviously a winter cruise in the Med is not the best idea - for a bit more cost fly to Dubai or Florida.

Personally my favourite time for a Med cruise is shoulder season (April/May/Sept/Oct).

On 11/7/2021 at 11:45 AM, Couple-Somerset said:

We're on Nov 20th for 2 week B2B out of Barcelona.

YC Inside first week and YC balcony the 2nd.

YC 5+15 prices are excellent right now - £800 for YC Inside and £1177 for YC Balcony

Go for it !! - it's a cruise after all lol

Can you tell more about a "5 + 15 " promo ? It seems that YC Inside are very difficult to find for the end of November (unfortunately). 

Thanks all,

Lot's of great advise.

I figured the inner areas would be more crowded do the the outer being too cool.  I was attracted to it as it is a port intensive cruise, we are doing the Carib in January, reduction in tourists, (like us, lol), and value.
I would have done it but the "excursion only" in port was the no for me.  I understand the why and respect the reasoning but I will wait.