Real-Time Pre, During and Post Review of the NCL Joy, November 27, 2021 Sailing in the Haven

Sthrngary

35 minutes ago, cruising sister said:

Do you know if you can bring a copy of your Covid vaccine card or need the original?

Not 100% sure but most things I read said "Original".  Let me say one more thing.  I cruised in Sept on another brand.  I was nervous as all get out.  When we were finally on the ship, it really was not all that bad. It is super rare anyone has a positive test at the pier.  It happens but rare.  On the cards, I personally did not want to have to take anyone opinion so I bring the original.

Those are my thoughts.  Hope that helps. 

in california you can get a QR code for your vaccine card. once you get the vac and the card all your info is registered somewhere in the ether and BOOM you get this code.  I have not had to use it, but at events where presenting your card is needed ( sporting events , concerts )  the QR code suffices. I would assume the QR code would work at a CA port but not sure of other areas. Anyway, i am not close enought to a cruise to worry about such things. I appreciate all of you all and look forward to following your adventure. 

• Like 1

Thursday, November 25, 2021: Thanksgiving Day

Two (2) days to my families first family cruise in close to 6 years.  This cruise was cancelled four (4) times over the last two years.  There is legitimately nothing else that can be done to insure the success of this vacation.  

I did do two (2) items I rarely ever do when we go on a cruise.  The morning we leave our home base, I would usually drive to the airport and park or take a cab.  With four (4) people, I don't think either one of those would work. So I hired a car service with a large SUV to pick us up at 08:45 AM.  It was about double what I would normally spend.  I did the same thing when arriving at the Miami Airport to the hotel where I would normally do a Uber.  

So many things on a vacation you simply can't control.  This year it is testing positive for Covid at the port.  We went for a PCR test yesterday (Wednesday) and hope the results come back today.  However, Thanksgiving might be a day the labs take off.  We can't control the results or the disappointment if that test is positive.  We can control the Ground Transportation as outlined above. Control what you can control then chill.

Many have suggested that when a person obsesses over vacation details as I have, it make the vacation stressful because expectations are not achieved.  Not the way I feel.  I believe one must do their due diligence and leave the rest for fate.  The shift now is from due diligence to attitude.  You see, I know if I did not schedule a specific Restaurant, or Show for a day and time; my family would skip it. We would use all sorts of excuses we were to tired, or not hungry or some other excuse.  When it is booked, you are more likely to go. 

So it is time for our GRAND Thanksgiving Brunch.  Cracker Barrell to the Rescue. Preparation to a minimum; lots of carbs to get off of our Keto Diet; wasted food to a minimum. 

To everyone on a cruise ship now, to those on the Joy that have been so kind to share there experience this week and to all those joining us next week.  Have a wonderful Thanksgiving.  

Cruise well and enjoy every minute.  

• Like 7

16 minutes ago, Yinster said:

It is getting close Gary. Looking forward to your cruise. We were supposed to cruise two weeks ago but it was cancelled. Actually glad as I developed Covid so couldn't go even if I wanted to. 

Cruise well on my behalf

@YinsterWellness wishes from our home to yours!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Sthrngary said:

Thursday, November 25, 2021: Thanksgiving Day

Many have suggested that when a person obsesses over vacation details as I have, it make the vacation stressful because expectations are not achieved.  Not the way I feel.  I believe one must do their due diligence and leave the rest for fate.  The shift now is from due diligence to attitude.  You see, I know if I did not schedule a specific Restaurant, or Show for a day and time; my family would skip it. We would use all sorts of excuses we were to tired, or not hungry or some other excuse.  When it is booked, you are more likely to go. 

I believe it was Eisenhower who said, IIRC, the plan is nothing, the planning is everything.

His point was no plan will ever be executed as planned, things happen.  But when things happen, those who've planned can adapt much easier.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thank you so much for this thread. I am the planner for our travels which always include extended family. 

I am thinking of making my itineraries a little more detailed now. It is exhausting to be the one with all the knowledge answering all the trivial questions. 

Have a great trip. Now you should be able to enjoy.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Gary, just want to wish you a wonderful cruise vacation! I know it will be perfect. Thank you for this wonderful thread and for all of the excellent detailed information you have provided about the Haven and cruise preparation. Also, thank you for being so involved on the boards and answering so many questions. I'm excited to go on my first Norwegian cruise soon and it's due to folks like you who bring so much to this forum, that I know I will have a safe and fantastic vacation. I hope you consider starting a social media channel, so I can follow you as you prepare for future vacations. 

Your family has no idea how lucky they are. Many people here would be extremely grateful to have someone plan their trip the way you planned yours. 

Bon Voyage!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 11/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, maryivo said:

I'll just have to get myself there early and park it!  We're on the April 9th sailing (Joy) out of Miami.  Can't wait to be in the Haven and on the ship in general! This has been a 4-year in progress cruise with all the interruptions.  Enjoy your cruise.

We are also on this sailing with you in the Haven!  It's been almost the same amount of time for us (4.5 years) since our last. cruise!

• Like 1

November 26, 2021:

Covid-19 Tests all Negative! Check

Flights all on time! Check

All luggage got here. Check

Ground Transportation perfect. Check

Hotel with bay view. Check 

Daughter Changed Resturant Reservation Time.  Expected and I let it go folks. LOL

Vacation Mode engaged!!!!

Cruise well everyone. 

• Like 10
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Sthrngary said:

November 26, 2021:

Covid-19 Tests all Negative! Check

Flights all on time! Check

All luggage got here. Check

Ground Transportation perfect. Check

Hotel with bay view. Check 

Daughter Changed Resturant Reservation Time.  Expected and I let it go folks. LOL

Vacation Mode engaged!!!!

Cruise well everyone. 

Hope you have a wonderful time. Enjoy

• Thanks 1