5 cruise next certificates expiring in December

spanishguy1970

Before i call NCL tomorrow i have a question. We currently own 5 cruise next certificates. We had planned on using the cruise next certificates, in fact we had but for obvious reasons they went back to our account. Does NCL extend the expiration date? do any of you have experience with their certificates getting extended for more than a year?

thank you for any info.

13 minutes ago, spanishguy1970 said:

Before i call NCL tomorrow i have a question. We currently own 5 cruise next certificates. We had planned on using the cruise next certificates, in fact we had but for obvious reasons they went back to our account. Does NCL extend the expiration date? do any of you have experience with their certificates getting extended for more than a year?

thank you for any info.

I think you are probably screwed.

I just had a cruise cancelled a little over a week ago and the FCC was returned but still expires next month. 

CNC's are usually book AND SAIL by the expiration.  However, if they have not yet had any kind of extension many people have had good luck calling to book a cruise and getting extensions up to a year in order to use the certificate.  It is a one-time extension and if you or NCL cancels the cruise you lose the certificate as it is returned with the original expiration (or not returned if past that expiration).

Just now, The Traveling Man said:

Most of the FCCs issued during the Covid shutdown specify that you must apply them by December 31, 2021 to a cruise departing by December 31, 2022.  Check the terms of your FCCs.  You may still be OK if you book a cruise now, even if that cruise doesn't sail until sometime next year.

OOPS !  My mistake.  You asked about Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credits.  The bottom line, though, is much the same.  You have until the stated expiration date of the CND to APPLY them to a cruise, but that cruise might sail sometime later.  Of course, if that cruise gets cancelled prior to sailing but AFTER the original expiration date of the CND, then you lose out.

1 hour ago, The Traveling Man said:

OOPS !  My mistake.  You asked about Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credits.  The bottom line, though, is much the same.  You have until the stated expiration date of the CND to APPLY them to a cruise, but that cruise might sail sometime later.  Of course, if that cruise gets cancelled prior to sailing but AFTER the original expiration date of the CND, then you lose out.

Incorrect

7. All CNDs (including Haven option) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s).

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms

You can however request an extension for a year.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, julig22 said:

Incorrect

7. All CNDs (including Haven option) are valid for new reservations that book and sail within 4 years from purchase date. CNDs become null and void after expiration. Failure to redeem and sail within 4 years will result in forfeiture of your CND(s).

https://www.ncl.com/popup/cruisenext_terms

You can however request an extension for a year.

You are right.  NCL sometimes changes the rules on its promotions.  I think I must have been recalling the way things worked some years back...or maybe I was just confused.

11 hours ago, spanishguy1970 said:

thank you for any info.

I had a CND expiring this year and NCL automatically extended it for one year without me asking them to do so. When you call, if they say no remind them cruising was shutdown for over a year and so you should get at least a one year extension. 

• Like 3

From recent experience for my 4 CN's that expire 12/2021:

I booked a cruise for April 9, 2022 (Joy) and was able to only use one certificate.  NCL said because it was in 6 months from the cruise date, that their policies (I haven't found it in writing anywhere) state I can only apply one vs. two.

I booked a cruise for July 24, 2022 (Encore Alaska) and was able to use two CN's towards them.

I will end up losing one of my CN's because I will not have enough PTO next year to take another cruise.  Are these transferable or able to be sold?

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

From recent experience for my 4 CN's that expire 12/2021:

I booked a cruise for April 9, 2022 (Joy) and was able to only use one certificate.  NCL said because it was in 6 months from the cruise date, that their policies (I haven't found it in writing anywhere) state I can only apply one vs. two.

I booked a cruise for July 24, 2022 (Encore Alaska) and was able to use two CN's towards them.

I will end up losing one of my CN's because I will not have enough PTO next year to take another cruise.  Are these transferable or able to be sold?

We aren't allowed to buy/sell CNCs here, but there is a buy sell trade group for NCL cruise on a large social media site that works well. You aren't the only one in this situation, so I doubt you would get what you originally paid. 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

NCL said because it was in 6 months from the cruise date, that their policies (I haven't found it in writing anywhere) state I can only apply one vs. two.

It's right on the CruiseNext page, blue banner that shows the double-up offer - https://www.ncl.com/cruisenext

19 minutes ago, SliderNc said:

Are these transferable or able to be sold?

They can be, once.  CC does not allow you to sell them here though...

Hello All, thank you for the comments, they will be extended for one year however we must book and sail within the year. We already booked one for next year and is doubtful we will use all the 5 certificates we have left. When we bought these in 2017 we had the intention of using all of them but for obvious reasons it did not happen, oh well, lesson learned. In the future we wont buy more than one certificate maximum two if any.

take care everyone.

• Like 1

We also have 5 left (from 2017).  They were all being used for a family Alaskan cruise in 2020.  (And yup, we all know that old story!).  I don't think our kids will be using them in 2022 and DH and I are already booked on a January and February cruise.  I think DH would have a heart attack if I tried to squeeze one more trip in 2022, just to use up some of these CN's.  

Lesson learned!

• Like 1

Here's something I've not seen before.  I now have a $25 CruiseNext certificate - how useful is that!  It's a credit from a change in airfare cost so instead of crediting the credit card I used to pay for everything, they chose to return part of the CN.  And of course I can't apply it to anything because you can't use 2 certificates (and if I could, I'd use the $250 ones that I also have!).  Waiting to hear back from my pcc.

15 hours ago, hallux said:

I believe you experienced the same confusion that I did on this matter.  The OP asked about Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credit.  The NCL link that you provided dealt with FCCs, not CNDs.

17 minutes ago, The Traveling Man said:

I believe you experienced the same confusion that I did on this matter.  The OP asked about Cruise Next Deposits, not Future Cruise Credit.  The NCL link that you provided dealt with FCCs, not CNDs.

I guess I was confused by this wording on the page then (emphasis mine)...

To further support our guests, we have extended the "book by" date for previously issued FCCs. Any current and active Future Cruise Credits, CruiseNext certificates and CruiseFirst certificates originally set to expire in 2021 have been extended.

And this:

Active coupon classes that have been extended include:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • Suspension Payment FCCs
  • Discount FCCs from previous suspensions
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • All FCCs created as a result of ship incidents and goodwill gestures
  • Displacements
Edited by hallux

6 minutes ago, hallux said:

I guess I was confused by this wording on the page then (emphasis mine)...

To further support our guests, we have extended the "book by" date for previously issued FCCs. Any current and active Future Cruise Credits, CruiseNext certificates and CruiseFirst certificates originally set to expire in 2021 have been extended.

And this:

Active coupon classes that have been extended include:

• Peace of Mind FCCs
  • Suspension Payment FCCs
  • Discount FCCs from previous suspensions
  • CruiseNext
  • CruiseFirst
  • All FCCs created as a result of ship incidents and goodwill gestures
  • Displacements

Sorry, but what I meant was that the OP's question was about CNDs, for which the rules seem to be a bit different than FCCs.  As I have learned from others on this thread, the expiration date, i.e. the last date you can apply them to a cruise, and the last sailing date for the cruise to which they are applied can be different.  The reference you cited on the NCL website noted that the "book by date" for both FCCs and CNDs were being extended, but I don't think NCL made it clear whether it also was extending  the deadline for the sailing date.  That seems to be handled differently on CNDs and FCCs, hence the confusion.

If you go to your online account it will tell you when they expire.  I bought mine in 2019 and they have been extended to 2023 without me asking.

You can also transfer to someone else that has an ncl account.  I gave my son one for a January cruise.  At minimum I would give them away, but I bet you can find someone willing to buy them off you

31 minutes ago, dad son team said:

I bought mine in 2019 and they have been extended to 2023

No extension - they're good for 4 years from purchase.

I have 2 that I bought in 2019 that are also good through 2023, but that was their original expiration.

I have 4 deposits that expire 12/2022. My cruise consultant told me that I can use them toward a cruise past the expiration date. That cruise date then becomes the new expiration date. So if I apply them to a cruise in 11/2023 but decide not to go on that cruise I can transfer them to a different cruise that leaves before 11/2023. He suggested I pick something far out and then when I settle on what I really want to do transfer it. 

• Like 1