Transatlantic/re positioning cruise Britannia

Triggertravel

We have just got back of of our first transatlantic cruise,the re positioning cruise on Britannia to the Caribbean   ,and WOW what a fantastic trip and experience we had , the weather was fantastic we left Southampton on 22 Oct very smooth seas across the bay of biscay,good weather in Madeira, then 6 days at sea to Antigua ,the weather was unbelievable   calm seas nice and warm although a couple of the days were more hazy ,some days the sea was like glass.after speaking to several veterans of Atlantic crossings they were saying that it’s the best they have known it,so iam under no illusions that we dropped very very lucky, but my message to people who are thinking about doing a transatlantic do it …………I certainly will be…..fantastic reception from all of the locals on all the islands that we visited it felt very special .and must admit felt very privileged and lucky to of finally got back on board 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Triggertravel said:

We have just got back of of our first transatlantic cruise,the re positioning cruise on Britannia to the Caribbean   ,and WOW what a fantastic trip and experience we had , the weather was fantastic we left Southampton on 22 Oct very smooth seas across the bay of biscay,good weather in Madeira, then 6 days at sea to Antigua ,the weather was unbelievable   calm seas nice and warm although a couple of the days were more hazy ,some days the sea was like glass.after speaking to several veterans of Atlantic crossings they were saying that it’s the best they have known it,so iam under no illusions that we dropped very very lucky, but my message to people who are thinking about doing a transatlantic do it …………I certainly will be…..fantastic reception from all of the locals on all the islands that we visited it felt very special .and must admit felt very privileged and lucky to of finally got back on board 

Could not agree more it was a fantastic trip, we enjoyed it so much  we booked onboard for two years time ( already booked up next year ).

it wasn’t so long ago that some on here was doubting there would be a cruise, really glad they was wrong, best experience for us was the crew who could not do enough for us.

Edited by Bazrat
  • Like 1

Another satisfied customer here.

Our first cruise and we were absolutely delighted with it.

Staff were mostly very friendly although wait staff in Brodies could have cheered up a bit and reception staff were mostly unhelpful when we had internet problems.These were above and beyond the normal drop-outs at sea and although the Captain explained the ongoing problems with their shore-based internet provider in an announcement in the crew quarters which we overheard he chose not to share this with passengers.

But other than that the food was excellent - we mainly ate most of our meals in the buffet - and six days at sea without seeing another vessel was very relaxing.

Of course the decision to remove an island from the itinerary and take six days crusing the Atlantic at a slower speed instead of five was purely a fuel-saving measure rather than the " navigational " excuse we were spun but really that extra day made no difference with the perfect weather.

And Antigua and St Lucia were both fully open for independent travellers without any restrictions - St Kitts also laid on a great welcome for passengers restricted to the secure port area only.

The cruise was about 50% full so no booking or queing for meals/shows etc but I'm not sure we'd like to do a similar cruise with a full complement on board.

At £945pp for 15 nights in a balcony cabin with unrestricted view plus return flight home this was fantastic value for money.

• Like 3

Interesting.

We’re looking at this one for next October, would be our 2nd cruise (we’re booked onto Ventura in April for the France Spain and Portugal 10 night trip. )
with 2 children the night nursery and play classes and lack of flights appeal, and with the Atlantic crossing only return flight. 
only concern is 5 (or possibly 6) days at sea with children. 
my initial thought was to wait until we got back from the 1st in may, but we’d miss out on the cruise credit worth about £400, and also it may book up?

is the skipping a destination common? Do you think it’s down to fuel costs or Covid on one of the islands too?

it’s currently a toss up between the Caribbean crossing in October or the canaries in September 

any thoughts?

56 minutes ago, Aaron3 said:

Interesting.

We’re looking at this one for next October, would be our 2nd cruise (we’re booked onto Ventura in April for the France Spain and Portugal 10 night trip. )
with 2 children the night nursery and play classes and lack of flights appeal, and with the Atlantic crossing only return flight. 
only concern is 5 (or possibly 6) days at sea with children. 
my initial thought was to wait until we got back from the 1st in may, but we’d miss out on the cruise credit worth about £400, and also it may book up?

is the skipping a destination common? Do you think it’s down to fuel costs or Covid on one of the islands too?

it’s currently a toss up between the Caribbean crossing in October or the canaries in September 

any thoughts?

We missed the one port for obvious reasons it was on the news, as for the flight back it is a rather long flight how your children would react only you would know, we are booked on the 2023 repo cruise

56 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

We missed the one port for obvious reasons it was on the news, as for the flight back it is a rather long flight how your children would react only you would know, we are booked on the 2023 repo cruise

thanks. I figured it wasn’t common but neither are we in ordinary times.

we’ve done a 7 hour flight with our eldest who’d be close to 4 by the 2022 crossing. So it’s the luggage benefit (take more stuff that won’t return eg nappies and baby food in a soft bag)

how easy is logistics? P and o site is offering Manchester return flight that works well for us. So a coach to Southampton. Is that included? It’s unclear on their site

Caribbean also slightly cheaper than canaries with balcony room

Edited by Aaron3

The coach from Manchester airport to Southampton is (or has been) included but you need to book it so they know how many to cater for. 
The return flight is overnight arriving back in the UK in the early hours - around 5-6am.

Personally I prefer the springtime repo cruise where you fly out on a daytime flight and sail back.

Brian

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Aaron3 said:

We’re looking at this one for next October

I think Bazrat said the cruise is already sold out. 

On 11/8/2021 at 12:38 PM, Bazrat said:

Could not agree more it was a fantastic trip, we enjoyed it so much  we booked onboard for two years time ( already booked up next year ).

45 minutes ago, wowzz said:

I think Bazrat said the cruise is already sold out. 

odd, I’ve checked the p&o site again and there are inside or balcony rooms. London flights weren’t available yesterday but are again today, so is Birmingham. Price seems to have gone down slightly too.

that’s for the 14 night. The 15 night only has flights to Manchester 

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/B225/B225

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/B225A/B225A

12 minutes ago, Aaron3 said:

odd, I’ve checked the p&o site again and there are inside or balcony rooms. London flights weren’t available yesterday but are again today, so is Birmingham. Price seems to have gone down slightly too.

that’s for the 14 night. The 15 night only has flights to Manchester 

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/B225/B225

https://www.pocruises.com/find-a-cruise/B225A/B225A

Looking at Superior Balcony cabins there appear to be only a couple left.

If you are planning on going next October, I don't think you can afford to wait .

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, wowzz said:

Looking at Superior Balcony cabins there appear to be only a couple left.

If you are planning on going next October, I don't think you can afford to wait .

I was told that the highest tier have booked the majority of suites

3 hours ago, Bazrat said:

Sorry my error should have said already booked a cruise next year so will be going again year after

Sorry - misunderstood your post.

However,  as with all  repo cruises,  there is very little availability for next October. 

Not quite the same, but our repo on Azura in March 2023 virtually sold out within three weeks  of  launch.

If you want one of these one off cruises you need to book as early as possible. 

• Like 2

We’ve taken the plunge and are booked. Amazingly due to the number of sea days they had to check our infant is old enough to be on the cruise, which he was (just!).

hopefully this means we’ll get lots of the childcare slots!

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/16/2021 at 11:06 AM, Aaron3 said:

We’ve taken the plunge and are booked. Amazingly due to the number of sea days they had to check our infant is old enough to be on the cruise, which he was (just!).

hopefully this means we’ll get lots of the childcare slots!

To be absolutely pedantic it is not the number of sea days which is the issue.  It is the number of consecutive sea days which is the issue.  It is based on very young children and babies sometimes need to be in a hospital and they prefer not diverting but will if they have to but then it has to be a feasibility

Regards John