Options for Covid test pre=cruise

Nebr.cruiser

After much searching and agonizing I have found a local place that sounds very easy and possible for our Covid tests.  We had looked at CVS (apparently not available here; possibly at 13 days out) and Walgreens--only can sign up 5 days out, as well as possibilites at the airport or in Fort Lauderdale, as well as buying the monitored tests.

I called a local convenient clinice (walk-in, urgent care type of clinic) and they assured me that we can just walk in for our rapid antigen test on Friday the 26th of November, with a 15 minute turn-around.  Since we must leave for the airport by about 1PM, that is good news.  We sail the 28th.

We will still probably have some kind of back-up plan in place, of course.

We were told to bring our insurance information; I think it will be covered, but if not at this point we don't care!  We are on Medicare and have supplemental insurance. Very relieved!  We also might try our other urgent care clinic.

Edit to say that at our other Urgent care clinic they will do a PCR only, but results guaranteed 24-48 hours later and they said it's usually 24 hrs.  Results would be sent to my phone.  So I guess another back-up option if something doesn't work out with the rapid test.

Edited by Nebr.cruiser
added info
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Thank, you I am very aware of the proctored tests.  After watching videos of the process, I am a little apprehensive about doing it, but probably will order them as back ups.

I would have to use my phone as our internet service is not always reliable on the computer, and even the people I watched, who seemed to be very phone savvy,  had some difficulties.  We have such a short window on Friday before we have to leave for the airport that it becomes iffy.

• Like 1

Just now, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thank, you I am very aware of the proctored tests.  After watching videos of the process, I am a little apprehensive about doing it, but probably will order them as back ups.

I would have to use my phone as our internet service is not always reliable on the computer, and even the people I watched, who seemed to be very phone savvy,  had some difficulties.  We have such a short window on Friday before we have to leave for the airport that it becomes iffy.

An option, possibly, since internet at home is iffy, get to the airport early enough to do there or when you land in FTL, if you are arriving day before?

bon voyage

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

An option, possibly, since internet at home is iffy, get to the airport early enough to do there or when you land in FTL, if you are arriving day before?

bon voyage

Thanks you, I don't believe our home airport (Omaha) does the tests but Fort Lauderdale does.  It is certainly an option we will be looking into.  

There is some doubt if incoming flyers can take the test, and since we arrive at 1AM!!! the 27th, we'd somehow have to get back to the airport at the times the tests are done.  We are flying in at that strange time because of very valid concerns on cancelled/delayed flights--we were originally set to fly on the 27th.

On our recent very short visit to Florida, ( before the recent cancellations) our outgoing flights were cancelled due to weather in DFW, had to overnight at the airport, and got to our event with about an hour to spare the next day.

Coming back, we were delayed for about 4 hours due to crew need to rest, but did finally make it to Omaha without having to stay overnight.  They held the plane as quite a few were delayed.

According to my research the testing is done near luggage terminals and takes 15-30 minutes for results.  Cost is either $59 or $69 pp--I have seen two different prices. This is for the rapid test. PCR is more.

I am not totally sure that arriving passengers can get the test, athough probably.  Opens at 7 AM.  You can make an appointment (Fort Lauderdale airport link) or there is a possibility to walk in if they are not too busy.

The reasons I'm not sure about arriving passengers is because others seem to be getting two different answers, depending on who they talk to.

We have appointments for the COVID tests next week at the airport in FLL. We arrive Tuesday night and will go back Wednesday morning for the tests. I called them to verify we could get them because we fly in the night before and don't fly out until two weeks later and I was told we can. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

Thanks you, I don't believe our home airport (Omaha) does the tests but Fort Lauderdale does.  It is certainly an option we will be looking into.  

There is some doubt if incoming flyers can take the test, and since we arrive at 1AM!!! the 27th, we'd somehow have to get back to the airport at the times the tests are done.  We are flying in at that strange time because of very valid concerns on cancelled/delayed flights--we were originally set to fly on the 27th.

On our recent very short visit to Florida, ( before the recent cancellations) our outgoing flights were cancelled due to weather in DFW, had to overnight at the airport, and got to our event with about an hour to spare the next day.

Coming back, we were delayed for about 4 hours due to crew need to rest, but did finally make it to Omaha without having to stay overnight.  They held the plane as quite a few were delayed.

Actually, I was thinking you could do the proctored test while in the airport on the way to FTL and have the results either before boarding or by the time you deplane in FTL.

The challenge will be finding a private or semi-private place to conduct the test...

bon voyage

2 hours ago, Mcgeneseo said:

We have appointments for the COVID tests next week at the airport in FLL. We arrive Tuesday night and will go back Wednesday morning for the tests. I called them to verify we could get them because we fly in the night before and don't fly out until two weeks later and I was told we can. I'll post next week to let you know how it goes.

Sounds great as a back-up.  Do you have to prepay?

11 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Actually, I was thinking you could do the proctored test while in the airport on the way to FTL and have the results either before boarding or by the time you deplane in FTL.

The challenge will be finding a private or semi-private place to conduct the test...

bon voyage

I'm going for my antigen test this morning at 11 am. Cruise is Friday and my check in time is noon. Is it 2 full days prior to cruise or 48 hours? Just want to be sure. I also need it to clear US customs at the airport in Canada tomorrow morning. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, drakes2 said:

I'm going for my antigen test this morning at 11 am. Cruise is Friday and my check in time is noon. Is it 2 full days prior to cruise or 48 hours? Just want to be sure. I also need it to clear US customs at the airport in Canada tomorrow morning. 

It is 2 days as I understand it. We're doing the same thing next week.

• Thanks 1

No pre pay on appointment sign up, which surprised me. 

So if you don't end up needing the test--which for us would hopefully be the case-- then either cancel or just not show up, it sounds like.  Using this as a backup in case for some reason we can't get the test here before leaving looks like an option.

1 minute ago, Nebr.cruiser said:

So if you don't end up needing the test--which for us would hopefully be the case-- then either cancel or just not show up, it sounds like.  Using this as a backup in case for some reason we can't get the test here before leaving looks like an option.

We fly in too early to do a test at home, so this is my selection for a testing option. It says rapid tests are within 30 minutes for results which makes me happy. I'm hearing nightmare stories of CVS, etc not getting tests back in time, despite their assurances. This location says you can walk in too, but you'd wait if others had appointments. There weren't any times blocked out, so they didn't look busy. It would be worth walking in and waiting if you had to to be able to cruise!

15 hours ago, Mcgeneseo said:

Would you mind posting the phone number please and what it is called?  Also when you come back to let us know how it goes, could you provide the location.  Thank you

We fly in too early to do a test at home, so this is my selection for a testing option. It says rapid tests are within 30 minutes for results which makes me happy. I'm hearing nightmare stories of CVS, etc not getting tests back in time, despite their assurances. This location says you can walk in too, but you'd wait if others had appointments. There weren't any times blocked out, so they didn't look busy. It would be worth walking in and waiting if you had to to be able to cruise!

I agree.  We arrive at the airport at 1 AM so we would have to come back in the morning from our hotel and walk in for a test.  I guess it is a worst-case scenario if our testing here at home doesn't work out--as long as they will let us do that.

4 hours ago, cunn9004 said:

Would you mind posting the phone number please and what it is called?  Also when you come back to let us know how it goes, could you provide the location.  Thank you

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

I did the reservation online.  You will only be able to use FLL as the airport but that is okay according to the person I spoke with.  And we aren't flying home until Nov. 30th and that wasn't a problem.  I'm still going to bring my flight info and my cruise boarding info just to be on the safe side.  I'll let you know next week how it works out.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mcgeneseo said:

https://testing.nomihealth.com/easy_registration/34/onsite

I did the reservation online.  You will only be able to use FLL as the airport but that is okay according to the person I spoke with.  And we aren't flying home until Nov. 30th and that wasn't a problem.  I'm still going to bring my flight info and my cruise boarding info just to be on the safe side.  I'll let you know next week how it works out.

Thank you!

• Like 1

On 11/9/2021 at 10:03 AM, DCPIV said:

I highly advise getting the eMed (proctored) tests to take at home either as your primary choice or backup.  They are very easy to do.

You can order packs of 2 or 3 at https://store.optum.com/celebrity-cruises/ or you can order a 6-pack from emed.com

Do we order this test and then create an account before taking the test? Do we have to download an app to our phones or iPads? Thank you

37 minutes ago, pooh/tigger said:

Do we order this test and then create an account before taking the test? Do we have to download an app to our phones or iPads? Thank you

On 11/9/2021 at 10:42 AM, Nebr.cruiser said:

Does anyone know if you could do a practice test as we ordered the 6 pack 2 weeks before you leave, just so you know how to do it right?? 

2 hours ago, pooh/tigger said:

Yes, just order the test and then do it when you like. 

You don't need the Navica app, but you will need an account. Scanning the QR code will get you there, or you can set it up ahead of time. Results are emailed in a form suitable for printing. The app is handy only to have something you can pull up on your phone.