NCL Encore Cancelled Nov. 14 Cruise from Miami

WiseOldFool

31 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This same 2 day delay happened to a Princess ship a few weeks ago

I will quote you on it as it WAS a Princess ship.  I believe it was the newest ship.  There was a YouTuber on board, he's a TA so I won't mention his channel but his first name is Don.  Yes, it was related to COVID testing, but it might have been the testing for the crew rather than passengers.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, hallux said:

I will quote you on it as it WAS a Princess ship.  I believe it was the newest ship.  There was a YouTuber on board, he's a TA so I won't mention his channel but his first name is Don.  Yes, it was related to COVID testing, but it might have been the testing for the crew rather than passengers.

It was the Emerald Princess. Panama Canal authority evidently changed the testing timeframe for bridge staff after ship left from LA and either didn’t inform Princess, or someone at corporate never relayed it to the ship. Either way the ship was delayed somewhere around 24-48 hrs until the proper testing of bridge crew was completed and the Panamanian authorities were satisfied. Several planned port stops in the Caribbean were cancelled by Princess to keep the ship on schedule for arrival in Ft Lauderdale. 

Encore may have been held idle by the Panama Canal authority due to testing or to give priority to ships carrying cargo since the ship was essentially dead heading empty. NCL have to do what they are told and obviously was already behind schedule with the storm related delay leaving Seattle. 

I feel very empathetic for all involved. One of my coworkers was to be aboard this weekend and now all her plans are turned on end. She’s understandably upset and disappointed as is everyone else who is affected. 

Well we were blindsided - after waiting for 2 years with multiple cancellations due to covid we were finally sailing!  What could go wrong???  Then our TA called with the news. So sad and frustrating, and truthfully part of me didn't really believe that we were finally going to be traveling again.  We are platinum + and we will not abandon NCL (trying to reach that free cruise).  So I immediately booked December 5th - forever Charlie Brown still believing that Lucy will not remove the ball.... so sad....

• Like 12

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

This same 2 day delay happened to a Princess ship a few weeks ago (don’t quote me on it being Princess I’m going off memory). Unlike encore, That ship was carrying passengers. The delay had to do with the type of test Panama was requiring and the ship had to wait for additional tests to prove negative for covid before Panama they would allow the canal pilot onboard. I forget all the details but There is a lengthy forum post somewhere here on Cc if interested. 

You are correct.   It was Princess.   One of the cruise YouTubers was in it and posted the details. 

I have a cruise departing I'm 3 weeks.   I've litterally spent 2 or 3 hours every day on this site, YouTube and others preparing for it.   Maybe that's my escape from Covid-19?   How to make things feels "normal ".  I'd be absolutely devastated,  angry,  ready to scream and complain to everyone at NCL corporate. 

However,  the reality is these still aren't normal tines.   Inflation is crazy, every store and restaurant is under staffed,  I can't buy everything I want when I want it and it take twice as long as 3 times the expense to import and deliver the things I sell for a living (which also means that I don't get paid for months).  The most important thing I've learned during my research is that when we make the choice to travel during this situation,  the most important thing to pack is patience,  understanding and kindness.   Your trip might get canceled.   The service may have some misses.   Southern Gary's kid may ask him a question he's already answered in his family document.   Something will not go as planned or meet your expectations.   Take a deep breath and move on.  We're blessed to be able to book cruises.   Don't let something outside your control take away your happiness.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2