Martini bar

Guest moe46

9 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

m - methinks you take the name of the bar too literally, while martinis are the focus, there can be other 'beverages' offered... LOL

Cheers and bon voyage

Had to look again, Bo. This was from an Edge menu, undated, but on the public side of X's press center. Page 2 of 4 is titled "Traditional Martinis" and lists Classic, Dirty, Manhattan, Cosmopolitan, and Rob Roy. Just seemed odd, and I honestly don't know if those are current menus. I don't see menus for most bars on the standard X site.

6 minutes ago, markeb said:

Had to look again, Bo. This was from an Edge menu, undated, but on the public side of X's press center. Page 2 of 4 is titled "Traditional Martinis" and lists Classic, Dirty, Manhattan, Cosmopolitan, and Rob Roy. Just seemed odd, and I honestly don't know if those are current menus. I don't see menus for most bars on the standard X site.

You are correct, yet I think that Martini Bar is a 50's reference to the cocktail hour of which many individuals drank martinis...

Cheers and bon voyage

• Like 1

Lot's of excellent choices on this imbibing thread. Indeed, the Martini Bar is a great venue for socializing, while at the same time expanding ones mixed drink vocabulary and palate prowess. Once on the ship, you should be able to upgrade to Premium for a much lower cost. Sometimes X will offer a very attractive upgrade special on the website. We took advantage of that for a Equinox cruise in January 2022. For everything liquid the Premium Package is very convenient and hassle free.

I'm going to put two suggestions out there for OP consideration. A non-sweet martini made with Ciroc Vodka and a drizzle of dry Vermouth. Garnish of choice. I prefer blue cheese stuffed olives and only if the bartenders have access to fresh blue cheese and stuff the olives themselves. The drizzle of vermouth will not offend. 

A Gimlet made with Aviation Gin and lime juice. Float a twist of lime on top. 

The Aviation Gin is so smooth and clean that when mixed with the lime juice it becomes a very good  Martini, with a different name

Both cocktails should be served straight up.

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Lot's of great choices on this imbibing thread. Indeed, the Martini Bar is a great venue for socializing, while at the same time expanding ones mixed drink vocabulary and palate prowess. Once on the ship, you should be able to upgrade to Premium for a much lower cost. Sometimes X will offer a very attractive upgrade special on the website. We took advantage of that for a Equinox cruise in January 2022. For everything liquid the Premium Package is very convenient and hassle free.

I'm going to put two suggestions out there for OP consideration. A non-sweet martini made with Ciroc Vodka and a drizzle of dry Vermouth. Garnish of choice. I prefer blue cheese stuffed olives and only if the bartenders have access to fresh blue cheese and stuff the olives themselves. The drizzle of vermouth will not offend. 

A Gimlet made with Aviation Gin and lime juice. Float a twist of lime on top. 

The Aviation Gin is so smooth and clean that when mixed with the lime juice it becomes a very good  Martini, with a different name

Both cocktails should be served straight up.

Well some of us traditionalist drinkers insist that only gin can be used in a true martini.  

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

Well some of us traditionalist drinkers insist that only gin can be used in a true martini.  

It's whatever floats your lemon rind twist, TR. I would hope that those savvy and dedicated traditionalists could move over just a little and allow this non-traditionalist to belly-up to the bar.

2 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

Sometimes X will offer a very attractive upgrade special on the website. We took advantage of that for a Equinox cruise in January 2022. For everything liquid the Premium Package is very convenient and hassle free.

Would you mind telling the upgrade special price. I already upgraded my classic to premium for $10.80 per day. Wondering if I should keep looking for a special. Not cruising until May 2022 so I have plenty of time. 

2 hours ago, LorraineP said:

Would you mind telling the upgrade special price. I already upgraded my classic to premium for $10.80 per day. Wondering if I should keep looking for a special. Not cruising until May 2022 so I have plenty of time. 

You are not going to get a better price than that. You should be very satisfied.

1 hour ago, D C said:

The vast majority of the menu items are vodka +flavors.  Low odds of picking one with gin

Very true statement. Fortunately, the barkeeps are quite capable of reacting to atypical specificity when necessary. In fact, I think they quite enjoy the occasional deviation. 

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Spif Barwunkel said:

It's whatever floats your lemon rind twist, TR. I would hope that those savvy and dedicated traditionalists could move over just a little and allow this non-traditionalist to belly-up to the bar.

No problem.  Hopefully we can meet on a future cruise at that belly-up bar.  The Martini Bar menu has mostly vodka versions anyway.  Very limited gin versions even though an actual Martini is made with gin and it is called a Martini.  The ones made with vodka are called Vodka Martinis.  😀  Just messing with you here.  Enjoy!

• Haha 2

40 minutes ago, TeeRick said:

No problem.  Hopefully we can meet on a future cruise at that belly-up bar.  The Martini Bar menu has mostly vodka versions anyway.  Very limited gin versions even though an actual Martini is made with gin and it is called a Martini.  The ones made with vodka are called Vodka Martinis.  😀  Just messing with you here.  Enjoy!

Liquor linguistics aside, I'm sure that would be quite the enjoyable encounter. Probably well into the wee hours of the morning. And who knows, perhaps future themed cruises would evolve from such an experience.  

Edited by Spif Barwunkel
  • Like 1

We also love the anniversary martini, however Grey Goose VX is no longer made, so I wonder if they are just substituting regular Grey Goose.  The VX was regular Grey Goose infused with Cognac.  Trust me, I bought up every bottle in my area I could find once I found out it is no longer available in the US.