Mr. Sanchos - my opinion for what it's worth

LadyBerard

I recently sailed on Celebrity Constellation's first sailing which went to Belize and Cozumel.  In Cozumel, a small group of us went to Mr. Sanchos.  This was my first visit to Mr. Sanchos; although, this was not my first visit to Cozumel.  I believe we paid $60 pp for the all-inclusive day pass.  This did not include gratuities though.

The property was very nice. and well kept.  There were two pools and many tables and chairs.  I found the drinks to be VERY weak.  I had MANY long island iced teas, as everything else was way too sweet for my liking.  As far as the beach water, it was very grassy.  I don't have a problem with that, as I'm  from MA/RI, and am used to swimming in the ocean with seaweed.  The sand going to the water was fine.  Did not need water shoes.  However, when walking into the ocean, it was very shelly/corally.  Needless to say, I went in once to my knees, and then came out and went into the pool.  I love the beach.  Had I wanted to go in a pool, I could have stayed on the ship and enjoyed my premium drink package.  Food and service were very good.  We had shrimp cocktail (very small shrimp), coconut shrimp which was very good, and nachos........as much as you wanted.

Numerous times throughout the day, there were people looking for tips....from mariachi musicians playing at our table, to hair braiders, etc.  

We are scheduled to be cruising again to Cozumel  next Oct.  I don't think we'll go back to Mr. Sanchos.  When we do go back, we want a beach with soft sand in the ocean, with amenities.  Does not need to have an all inclusive feature.    Looking for recommendations.  

I know many people love Mr. Sanchos, but for me, it was just ok.  I just wanted a nicer beach where I can walk in without wearing water shoes.  Please don't flame me.  Just thought I would give MY opinion, for what it's worth.

• Like 1

I asked the the taxi question in the other post.  We are going to do Pay As You Go as it just makes sense for us.  This will be my 3rd time there.  I don't remember if there was a seaweed problem my last two times, but for $20-$30 for food we should be able to get over monies worth.

Edited by KyleClark

I would likely never do a beach club at any port stop unless it was the only option so my suggestion might not be up your alley. I prefer doing things unique to each destination. You could find a tour company to take you to El Cielo (most include drinks and snacks but your bathroom is on the boat) and afterwards take a cab (or walk, depending on which pier) into town to have a nice meal in a good local restaurant. El Cielo is a beautiful and secluded sandbar area on the south end of the island - soft white sand, shallow crystal clear water, starfish. The tours typically stop at one or more snorkeling spots too, where you can see turtles, rays and plenty of colorful fish. 

I was never impressed with the beach clubs on the west side...too touristy and like you said, not impressed with the beach or water. 

I much prefer the less touristy east side of the island. There are several restaurants/ bars a couple with beaches but only a couple good for swimming. My favorite swim spot is Punta Morena....they have a protected cove perfect for swimming. It has full facilities including a restaurant, large beach and a pool. If you are going to this side of the island you must arrange a taxi and have them stay with you to insure you have a ride back available. The ride from port is about 25 minutes to the other side of the island. What I do is make a deal with a taxi to stay with us for like 4-5 hours and usually pay around $125 plus tip. have done this many many times and always have a great day.

Edited by bajathree

8 hours ago, LadyBerard said:

Thank you bajathree.  I have not gone to the east side.  Sounds like a plan for when we return in Oct. on the Serenade OTS.

Lady Berard, consider the Cozumel BarHop......its a tour for $75-80US it takes you over to east side and to 4 bars, you get a drink or shot at each stop, buy your food as you choose.  We've done it a couple of times, fun, not crowded, they will take you close or all the way back to ship.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Magar said:

Lady Berard, consider the Cozumel BarHop......its a tour for $75-80US it takes you over to east side and to 4 bars, you get a drink or shot at each stop, buy your food as you choose.  We've done it a couple of times, fun, not crowded, they will take you close or all the way back to ship.  

Thanks.  I did think about that, but, as we're from New England and we get away in the fall or winter, I would like time at a beach with a bar and shade.  Husband wants the bar and shade, and I'm in and out of the ocean all day.

2 hours ago, Magar said:

Cozumel BarHop is $57 per person.

Edited by day-day

On 11/15/2021 at 2:32 PM, LadyBerard said:

I recently sailed on Celebrity Constellation's first sailing which went to Belize and Cozumel.  In Cozumel, a small group of us went to Mr. Sanchos.  This was my first visit to Mr. Sanchos; although, this was not my first visit to Cozumel.  I believe we paid $60 pp for the all-inclusive day pass.  This did not include gratuities though.

The property was very nice. and well kept.  There were two pools and many tables and chairs.  I found the drinks to be VERY weak.  I had MANY long island iced teas, as everything else was way too sweet for my liking.  As far as the beach water, it was very grassy.  I don't have a problem with that, as I'm  from MA/RI, and am used to swimming in the ocean with seaweed.  The sand going to the water was fine.  Did not need water shoes.  However, when walking into the ocean, it was very shelly/corally.  Needless to say, I went in once to my knees, and then came out and went into the pool.  I love the beach.  Had I wanted to go in a pool, I could have stayed on the ship and enjoyed my premium drink package.  Food and service were very good.  We had shrimp cocktail (very small shrimp), coconut shrimp which was very good, and nachos........as much as you wanted.

Numerous times throughout the day, there were people looking for tips....from mariachi musicians playing at our table, to hair braiders, etc.  

We are scheduled to be cruising again to Cozumel  next Oct.  I don't think we'll go back to Mr. Sanchos.  When we do go back, we want a beach with soft sand in the ocean, with amenities.  Does not need to have an all inclusive feature.    Looking for recommendations.  

I know many people love Mr. Sanchos, but for me, it was just ok.  I just wanted a nicer beach where I can walk in without wearing water shoes.  Please don't flame me.  Just thought I would give MY opinion, for what it's worth.

Honestly I thought Punta Sur had a beautiful beach with lots of shade.  Great service.  You should arrange for an Excursion there as its pretty far.  Never crowded when we have gone.

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 1:12 PM, jean87510 said:

Honestly I thought Punta Sur had a beautiful beach with lots of shade.  Great service.  You should arrange for an Excursion there as its pretty far.  Never crowded when we have gone.

Have you been to Punta Sur recently?  We're going in a couple of weeks and I keep waffling on it for some reason.   I want a beach day with some access to food and bevvies, but don't really need much more than a chair and shade... I've heard there is some great snorkeling there too?   

1 hour ago, Djsmrs said:

Have you been to Punta Sur recently?  We're going in a couple of weeks and I keep waffling on it for some reason.   I want a beach day with some access to food and bevvies, but don't really need much more than a chair and shade... I've heard there is some great snorkeling there too?   

we were there in march 2021.  the snorkeling is far off of the coast.  I paid a guy to take me out to the reef.  Unless you are a strong swimmer, don't attempt.  I used to lifeguard and do triathlons and I had a hard time but did make it at my age of 56.  Its a beautiful place however.  

We have been disappointed with the shore snorkeling in Cozumel as compared to a few years ago.  If you want the snorkeling and a beach, try an excursion that does both and is small.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/17/2021 at 12:59 PM, Magar said:

I have done the bar hop soooooooooooooo many times because I love the east side.  I'm not necessarily a big drinker.    I look at the bar hop more as a beach hop and have enjoyed many times although I went in September and it was so different.   Previously the bus was large, maybe up to 30 of us.  Taking the free shot or not, was never a problem with so many people.   My last tour only had five of us and the bars were pretty empty.    They certainly do expect you to buy another drink or food, so I felt obligated to purchase a drink   I usualy wait until Coconuts to buy a lunch.   My bill was extremelty high, so they have for sure jacked up the prices.    As usual the tour was great and the weater perfect.   I loved the gang of ladies I met as I was traveling solo.    instead of the typical T-shirt, I opted for one of their face masks.   I think the tour was under $60 though.