Walgreens Testing Question

We are leaving On Jan 2nd on LOS out of Galveston. My question is we will be driving and arrive in Galveston on the 31st. I am ordering my test from Royal, can I take the test the evening of the 31st for my Jan 2 sailing? I don't want to take it on the road, would rather be in the hotel.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

I went on NCL which tests everyone for free. I would pay for a test to not have to endure that again! Testing times started at 9am but boarding wasn't until 11:30. A whole lot of lines and waiting. No thanks.

It appears that NCL may be dropping their pre-test requirement for vaccinated passengers on January 16th, which is when the CDC mandate ends.

The info I received from RC says I need a PCR COVID test. My Walgreens in rural Colorado says it offers PCR with results 1 to 2 days after the lab receives the sample which could be too late. They have ID NOW test that gives you results in less than 24 hours. Does anyone know if the ID NOW results are accepted?

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

It appears that NCL may be dropping their pre-test requirement for vaccinated passengers on January 16th, which is when the CDC mandate ends.

2 hours ago, travelhound said:

From what I have read, after Jan 16 NCL’s testing policy will be similar to Royal’s current one (I’ve, get your own test within 2 days before the cruise; if you don’t testing at terminal will be $99 per person). 

Until then, NCL encourages everyone to get tested on their own in days before cruise, then NCL tests at terminal, so currently you’d take two tests if you comply with their request.

8 minutes ago, Starry Eyes said:

From what I have read, after Jan 16 NCL’s testing policy will be similar to Royal’s current one (I’ve, get your own test within 2 days before the cruise; if you don’t testing at terminal will be $99 per person). 

Until then, NCL encourages everyone to get tested on their own in days before cruise, then NCL tests at terminal, so currently you’d take two tests if you comply with their request.

It will be interesting to see what happens after January 16th.  Clearly NCL is trying something different with the 100% vaccination requirement, which allows for more freedom on board.  

On 11/16/2021 at 3:07 PM, Starry Eyes said:

I’m in Florida.  Whether or not I enter symptoms/exposure, I do not see rapid antigen test (no ax now) available near me (closest that displays is VA).  I do see multiple locations for the NAAT (ID now, <24 hour TAT).  

Are other Floridians also seeing/booking  the Walgreens ID Now?  Or are other Floridians able get the rapid antigen test option as well?

I have the emed tests, but would like to know if Walgreens is a viable option too.

I’m in SC and the website only showed VA as well. 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2021 at 7:15 PM, IRMO12HD said:

Florida folks, do you know if you have to be a Florida resident to make a test reservation at a Walgreens or CVS?  Do you suppose I could use the address/zip code of the hotel I'll be staying in?  I'm on a redeye flight that gets in to Miami at 10:40 a.m. the day before I leave on the cruise, so I'm hoping I can use that means as my Plan B.  I still have two at-home (proctored) tests, but want to save them in case I can't get tested onboard before the second part of my side-to-side.

We had no problem booking Walgreens in Florida and we're Massachusetts residents.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, mawvkysc said:

I’m in SC and the website only showed VA as well. 

You can change the cities and states you're looking for.  Make sure you're searching for the ID-Now test on the Walgreens website.  Tons of locations show up.  Also look for ones that offer lots of appointments.

• Like 1

For the Walgreens ID Now test, is everyone using the email from Walgreens to board or are they having a printout of the results hardcopy? Also, I'm considering BinaxNow as a backup option. How does the negative results get transmitted or shared with RCL at boarding time?

Kyle

3 minutes ago, Foosguy said:

For the Walgreens ID Now test, is everyone using the email from Walgreens to board or are they having a printout of the results hardcopy? Also, I'm considering BinaxNow as a backup option. How does the negative results get transmitted or shared with RCL at boarding time?

Kyle

All results are shown on a mobile device or printed. Personally, I print.  Much easier to be on the right page at the right time with no risk of issues. 

• Like 2

And I am here to ask a dumb question, I am sure.  Our Walgreens offers three tests, the PCR and two rapid tests.  One that has results available in approx one hour (Rapid Antigen Binax NOW) and one available in approx 24 hours (Rapid Molecular ID NOW).  The PCR takes too long so which of the rapid tests work?  I did read the the FAQs on Royal's site but I am still a bit confused.  It says "molecular, also called PCR test" and then it says antigen.  The 1 hour test is molecular but not PCR?  I am not a complete goober so why can I not figure this out???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

And I am here to ask a dumb question, I am sure.  Our Walgreens offers three tests, the PCR and two rapid tests.  One that has results available in approx one hour (Rapid Antigen Binax NOW) and one available in approx 24 hours (Rapid Molecular ID NOW).  The PCR takes too long so which of the rapid tests work?  I did read the the FAQs on Royal's site but I am still a bit confused.  It says "molecular, also called PCR test" and then it says antigen.  The 1 hour test is molecular but not PCR?  I am not a complete goober so why can I not figure this out???

@MandyMooTooI'm 99.9% confident that you can use either of the Rapid tests from Walgreens.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Foosguy said:

Kyle

We used hardcopy print out when we went through check in for our cruise earlier this month. It was checked 3 times. The first person to check it highlighted the date of the test and negative results. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

25EA8278-D9F3-4817-8A25-67534ABDD65A.thumb.jpeg.a0045edeacca8e539da214e779d38411.jpeg

• Like 1

Just now, mauimary said:

25EA8278-D9F3-4817-8A25-67534ABDD65A.thumb.jpeg.a0045edeacca8e539da214e779d38411.jpeg

The test you want is either the top one or the bottom one. The rapid antigen. PCR can take awhile but the rapid antigen apx an hour. The home RX test kits from RCCL are proctored antigen ones. Hope this helps. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, mauimary said:

The test you want is either the top one or the bottom one. The rapid antigen. PCR can take awhile but the rapid antigen apx an hour. The home RX test kits from RCCL are proctored antigen ones. Hope this helps. 

@mauimary, I feel like if the Binax Now test is administered/proctored by the Walgreen's, then it is acceptable . . . From RCL's FAQs: (https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/if-need-an-rt-pcr-test-before-i-cruise-where-should-i-go)

"

We get a lot of questions about Abbott tests, the most commonly available COVID-19 test brand. Here’s what’s accepted.

Any Abbott brand test administered on site by a pharmacy technician or other health professional is accepted. This includes the common Abbot ID NOW test administered by many pharmacies. The test provider must provide you with a proper results document (no handwritten notes).
The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Ag Card Test, which is taken at home and supervised by a telemedicine professional, is accepted. It must be taken under live video supervision. Learn more about our Abbott telehealth home test kit.
The Abbott BinaxNow COVID-19 Antigen Self-Test, if taken at home and not supervised by a telehealth representative, is NOT accepted."

Yes it is if it is done by a Walgreens tech.  You can’t just buy them OTC and do them yourself. The one we did at home was ordered through RCCL and we did it at home with a proctor. It helps a lot for doing it at home the first time to take a look at some U tube videos. 

• Like 1

We're in the same boat as you :). Even though Walgreens website show 3 different tests available, our's only offers the PCR and the Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW. I've read on these boards that the ID NOW is acceptable but can't fine it in writing on RCI's website. I'm still now completely comfortable.

2 hours ago, mauimary said:

Yes it is if it is done by a Walgreens tech.  You can’t just buy them OTC and do them yourself. The one we did at home was ordered through RCCL and we did it at home with a proctor. It helps a lot for doing it at home the first time to take a look at some U tube videos. 

6 minutes ago, packedandready said:

We're in the same boat as you :). Even though Walgreens website show 3 different tests available, our's only offers the PCR and the Rapid Diagnostic ID NOW. I've read on these boards that the ID NOW is acceptable but can't fine it in writing on RCI's website. I'm still now completely comfortable.

I actually have some the RCCL tests that are proctored at home.  I wanted to have the Walgreens tests backups.  Thank you all for the help!

• Like 1

On 11/15/2021 at 7:54 PM, suzyluvs2cruise said:

I'm in So. Cal. and the CVS/Walgreens here do not offer $0 cost Covid testing for travel. Why...is a big question....as I see in Florida and other states cruisers are stating it's easy to get the Antigen test for $0 for travel. In our local area rapid tests are $100-$150pp. 

For our upcoming cruise(s) we'll do the EMed monitored tests. Really curious why it's different with CVS/Walgreens in different parts of the US. 

I just posted another topic similar to this before reading this one; I’m in Central California and was wondering how other folks were so easily getting their pre-travel COVID testing done for free. So, it must vary by state. After paying $300 for testing to go to Hawaii for my daughter and I in June, I’ll go with the home testing kits for the cruise. Hawaii was pretty strict with their requirements, but they did accept a home kit from Costco — but none of our Costco’s in town had them, so even that would have entailed a 3+ hour drive to get one!  

I had bad luck with the at home test kit they are selling.  Since you can't open it till you are online I didn't know it was defective.  Now I am trying to find some where to get the test done.  We leave on the Allure on Sunday, maybe.