San Pedro/LAX Hotels with free shuttles

cruiseSEA52

You will find one or the other, but not both. The three hotels in San Pedro that offer shuttle service to the port are the Doubletree, Crowne Plaza and Best Western Plus.

They are 20 miles distance from LAX and 15 miles from LGB.

Crowne Plaza charges $5.50 per person for the shuttle to the World Cruise Center (price confirmed this week). It's a relatively easy walk to the San Pedro port from the Crowne Plaza - about 3/4 of a mile on mostly flat terrain. The shuttle might be included in the park & cruise package but the website doesn't say so.

The Best Western Plus San Pedro offers a free shuttle. I think the Doubletree's shuttle is also free.

Basically, your choices are:

1. Stay at an airport hotel and then pay for a taxi/Uber/Lyft to the port.
  2. Pay for a taxi/Uber/Lyft/etc to a San Pedro hotel and take the hotel's shuttle to the port. 

Maximum of one free shuttle with either option.

• Like 2

On 11/18/2021 at 3:48 PM, cruiseSEA52 said:

I am going on a cruise out of San Pedro and am looking for a hotel that offers free pier and airport transfers.  Any suggestions?

You spend thousands of dollars for a cruise and are looking for  a free shuttle???

In January 2018, we took Uber from LAX and it was a very process and ride. It cost us about $30.00 plus tip. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and paid for their shuttle to the port which is close, but we decided it was a bit too far for us to walk,

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/30/2021 at 12:51 PM, nini said:

In January 2018, we took Uber from LAX and it was a very process and ride. It cost us about $30.00 plus tip. We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in San Pedro and paid for their shuttle to the port which is close, but we decided it was a bit too far for us to walk,

Rideshares (Uber, Lyft, etc) and taxis have changed at LAX since you were here last. Because of congestion and ongoing construction, rideshares (except for premium rideshare) don't pick up curbside anymore. It could be a real pain with "cruise luggage".

You have to shuttle to a central lot (LAX-it, pronounced LA Exit) and then get your Uber or taxi. If you book Uber Black (premium service), they do pick up curbside.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, scottca075 said:

Rideshares (Uber, Lyft, etc) and taxis have changed at LAX since you were here last. Because of congestion and ongoing construction, rideshares (except for premium rideshare) don't pick up curbside anymore. It could be a real pain with "cruise luggage".

You have to shuttle to a central lot (LAX-it, pronounced LA Exit) and then get your Uber or taxi. If you book Uber Black (premium service), they do pick up curbside.

FYI, Lyft now offers a premium curbside service. It was about 3x the price of a standard Lyft ride to San Pedro. 

LAXit seemed less organized last week than it did when I tried it in January 2020. The banners & tents to indicate where to go for each service were gone, and there were few employees to help direct passengers and drivers. 

Still, it was more pleasant than taking the NCL bus…

Also FYI, the Crowne is still undergoing renovations and my room was definitely in the “before” condition. If I cruise out of San Pedro next year, I’ll book the Doubletree. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, coastcat said:

FYI, Lyft now offers a premium curbside service. It was about 3x the price of a standard Lyft ride to San Pedro. 

LAXit seemed less organized last week than it did when I tried it in January 2020. The banners & tents to indicate where to go for each service were gone, and there were few employees to help direct passengers and drivers. 

Still, it was more pleasant than taking the NCL bus…

Also FYI, the Crowne is still undergoing renovations and my room was definitely in the “before” condition. If I cruise out of San Pedro next year, I’ll book the Doubletree. 

When we stayed at the Crown in 2018, it was looking pretty tired. I guess they figured to do it now and hopefully prepare for cruising again.

The Doubletree offers the free shuttle, but you have to sign up for a shuttle time upon checking in.  Plenty of free parking.  However, it is the farthest hotel in San Pedro from the cruise terminal; there are few options for dining other than the hotel (which currently is offering only modified dining options and no room service).  You can walk around the marina, which the hotel overlooks.  As with the other available hotels, the Doubletree looks pretty tired.  But we've stayed there before and have no complaints.  Heck, it's only for a night...

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Is anyone aware which San Pedro hotel, Crown, Doubletree, etc., offers a shuttle to Berth 46?  This is where the Princess Discovery will be berthed in April 2022.  It is a long swim to it from the Doubletree.

Thanks,

Bill

1 hour ago, ssawjo said:

Is anyone aware which San Pedro hotel, Crown, Doubletree, etc., offers a shuttle to Berth 46?  This is where the Princess Discovery will be berthed in April 2022.  It is a long swim to it from the Doubletree.

Actually it is a very short swim.....  the difficultly is swimming with your luggage.

I'd call the DoubleTree and Crowne Plaza and ask if they will send their shuttles there.

In the past, when Princess used Berth 46, they ran shuttles from the parking lot area at Berth 91/92 to Berth 46 and back.

Beware Best Western shuttle is by sign up upon arrival and depending on when you arrive may already be full for the time needed ( most likely due to reduced capacity in shuttle due to covid I would suspect).  We took ubers to the ship because the soonest the shuttle could get us there was 1230 and we had to be at port at 9 a.m. Ubers were cheap and quick. 

Breakfast was good, employees were very friendly, rooms were not in the best repair (tired) but worked for the night.

Edited by Cruisingcrew5
  • Like 2

On 11/27/2021 at 11:34 AM, Packman1000 said:

From the Crown Plaza hotel,  can you walk to the ship with your luggage?  We just have one rolling bag each.

My wife and I both walked to the ship with our luggage, and it was delightful.

They were starting to load the shuttle and were waiting for others as we left, and we arrived at the terminal before they did.

• Like 1