Disney Is First Cruise Line to Require Vaccinations for Children 5-11 Years Old

Fouremco

While it won't start until January, Disney's new requirement for 5-11 year olds to be fully vaccinated will pose potential problems for Canadian families with bookings early in the new year. Even if the roll out of the vaccine is in large enough quantities to meet the initial demand, which I doubt, the National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) is recommending that the spacing between doses be increased to at least eight weeks. So even if a child is vaccinated (first shot) in the next few weeks, it will be another two months before the second shot, and then another two weeks before the vaccination is considered effective.

Hopefully other lines will not. jump on the Disney bandwagon and impose this requirement so soon. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, MamatoJack said:

So earliest would be end of January/early February depending on when next week they can get the first shot. 

I guess in time for March break in most provinces at least. 

Yes, families should be OK for March break if the doses arrive and are distributed in a timely manner. 🤞

I heard on the news that they will do an 8 week interval. So 8 weeks plus 2 weeks plus 1 day to be considered fully vaccinated.

I hope other cruiselines don't follow that quickly. It will give us some options for January - March cruises.

11 hours ago, K_e_short said:

I heard on the news that they will do an 8 week interval. So 8 weeks plus 2 weeks plus 1 day to be considered fully vaccinated.

I hope other cruiselines don't follow that quickly. It will give us some options for January - March cruises.

If the cruise line protocol states that passengers need to be fully vaccinated then age makes no difference. You either are or you're not.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, OVgirl said:

If the cruise line protocol states that passengers need to be fully vaccinated then age makes no difference. You either are or you're not.

I hope eventually cruiselines make that change but January 16th for Disney is too soon for Ontarian kids at least.

If a kid gets dose 1 on Monday the 22nd they are not considered fully vaccainted by February 1st.

I don't know what the goal is in terms of when first doses will start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K_e_short said:

I hope eventually cruiselines make that change but January 16th for Disney is too soon for Ontarian kids at least.

If a kid gets dose 1 on Monday the 22nd they are not considered fully vaccainted by February 1st.

I don't know what the goal is in terms of when first doses will start.

As Ottawa Public Health officials stated yesterday that they don't anticipate being able to finish getting first shots into kids' arms until late December, some won't be fully vaccinated until mid-March. Assuming, of course, that Canada makes the purchase and takes delivery of the doses required for the kids' second shots. To date, there has been no announcement other than for the purchase of the initial doses.

• Like 1

On 11/19/2021 at 2:59 PM, Fouremco said:

Yes, families should be OK for March break if the doses arrive and are distributed in a timely manner. 🤞

According to CBC first batch of Pfizer for kids arrived overnight. Landed in Hamilton. Presumably it should be distributed in the next 3 - 4 days.

What puzzles me is that the most efficient and rapid method to get 5 - 11 vaccinated is being ignored. I recall in my distant youth mass vaccinations in schools. Sure there is paperwork and parental approvals required, but would this approach not get most kids vaccinated quickly?

3 minutes ago, broberts said:

According to CBC first batch of Pfizer for kids arrived overnight. Landed in Hamilton. Presumably it should be distributed in the next 3 - 4 days.

What puzzles me is that the most efficient and rapid method to get 5 - 11 vaccinated is being ignored. I recall in my distant youth mass vaccinations in schools. Sure there is paperwork and parental approvals required, but would this approach not get most kids vaccinated quickly?

In Ottawa, they do plan on using the schools, but as a backup to other vaccine hubs in the city. Like you, I don't understand why the schools are viewed as the primary sites for the kiddies, the vast majority of whom do attend school.

1 hour ago, broberts said:

They still do this for certain vaccines in grade 7, my son recently had his done. However, I understand some public health units have not been able to do even those recently. Hopefully all the kids will be able to get their first doses sooner than later.

I am not clear if all provinces are waiting 8 weeks between doses, I understand the trials were done at 3 weeks and that was the Health Canada recommendation but NACI says 8 weeks, I am not sure where they got their data from since I don't believe there have been other trials of the age group with longer timing between doses. I am very glad I was able to get my son done as a 12-year-old though he doesn't turn 12 for a few more weeks. 

I do hope this is one more step back towards normalcy, and getting rid of testing requirements for travel among other things. 

We have a cruise booked this coming March break.  Just booked my 9 year old for is first shot this Thursday.  As long as we don't have a supply issue and he gets his second shot in 8 weeks he should be fully vaccinated February 3.  Hopefully gives us some wiggle room in case of any "problems".

My fingers and toes are all crossed!