Covid Booster Shots

illinoisfive

1 hour ago, crzndeb said:

A question for those that already got the booster. Did anybody get an antibody (titer) test prior to the booster? I’m due for a physical, but after I was vaccinated, I had Covid. I haven’t gotten my booster yet (over 65), and I’m curious to see if I still show antibodies before I get it.

I got the booster a week ago, but did not get a titer test.  However, since you’ve been vax’d and then you got Covid, it would be interesting to see what an antibody test would show.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, txgal08 said:

Any side effects?  I am waiting until after my Thanksgiving cruise to get it just in case.  I was sidelined an entire day after the 2nd Moderna shot

I scheduled pfeizer booster last week at kroger but they told me moderna gives more antibodies and cancelled and now I'm rescheduled for moderna monday. I ran a fever with both doses before so I'm already expecting to be sick tuesday. I ran a fever and upset stomach and felt like the flu both first shots but I'm not taking a chance on getting covid I dont have to. Or losing a cruise because I test positive. 

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

I scheduled pfeizer booster last week at kroger but they told me moderna gives more antibodies and cancelled and now I'm rescheduled for moderna monday. I ran a fever with both doses before so I'm already expecting to be sick tuesday. I ran a fever and upset stomach and felt like the flu both first shots but I'm not taking a chance on getting covid I dont have to. Or losing a cruise because I test positive. 

The Moderna booster is a half dose, while the Pfizer is the full dose. It would seem to me that there would be less of a chance of a reaction to the Moderna booster.

We had Moderna for all 3 shots. I had no soreness from the booster. (DW did for a day and a half. Oddly I had more longer arm soreness than her on the first 2 shots.)

we had to do Pfizer bc it was when it was highly suggested for educators. I am in a classroom with 32 high school students, many not vaccinated and always wear their masks wrong. How I would have have loved Moderna-  I am just glad to have a booster and the vaccine in general.  stay healthy fellow cruisers. 

son is 19 and getting Pfizer booster I believe from pediatrician.  

20 hours ago, txgal08 said:

Any side effects?  I am waiting until after my Thanksgiving cruise to get it just in case.  I was sidelined an entire day after the 2nd Moderna shot

Here's my experience:

1st Moderna shot, end of Nov 2020 - sore arm for 1 day

2nd Moderna shot, end of Dec 2020 - sore arm, body aches and fatigue for 1 day

Moderna booster, flu, shingles & tetanus shots, mid Oct 2021 - sore arms, body aches, slight fever & fatigue for 1 day

I fully expected to feel pretty bad after getting 4 all at the same time and was pleasantly surprised that I had recovered from that 24hrs later

• Like 1

20 hours ago, txgal08 said:

Here's my experience:

1st Moderna shot, end of Nov 2020 - sore arm for 1 day

2nd Moderna shot, end of Dec 2020 - sore arm, body aches and fatigue for 1 day

Moderna booster, flu, shingles & tetanus shots, mid Oct 2021 - sore arms, body aches, slight fever & fatigue for 1 day

I fully expected to feel pretty bad after getting 4 all at the same time and was pleasantly surprised that I had recovered from that 24hrs later

21 hours ago, txgal08 said:

32 year old female with obesity but no other applicable pre-existing conditions

3/18/21 1st Moderna - mild swelling and discomfort at injection site

4/19/21 2nd Moderna - mild swelling and discomfort at injection site

Early July 2021 - I possibly got covid from my mother(70, diabetic, obese).  She likely got it from sitting at a table with one of her church friends that likely wasn't vaccinated.  She tested negative but still lost smell, taste, and hearing in one ear.  She also had a nasty cough and runny nose.  She got the 1st Moderna shot 2/25/21 and the 2nd Moderna shot 3/25/21.  She had a mild cough(appeared to be just a cold) on about 7/2/21.  The symptoms slowly ramped up until 7/8 when she had the nasty cough that would cut off breathing and cause her nose to run.  She didn't lose smell/taste/hearing until 7/9 or 7/10.  I never got tested, but I only had the nasty cough and runny nose.  I was over it before she was.

10/29/21 Moderna booster - mild swelling and discomfort at the injection site, mild nuisance chest pain 9 hours later.  I took two Aleve about an hour after it started, and the chest pain went away about 45 minutes after that.  I have had no problems since.

Edited by Tiger0613

1 hour ago, Tiger0613 said:

10/29/21 Moderna booster - mild swelling and discomfort at the injection site, mild nuisance chest pain 9 hours later.  I took two Aleve about an hour after it started, and the chest pain went away about 45 minutes after that.  I have had no problems since.

You've got to do what you've got to do, but I had read some time ago to try to avoid taking anti-inflammatory meds BEFORE the shot, if possible. It may interfere with the effectiveness of the vaccine. After seems to be okay.

I really find it amazing how different everyone reacts to the vaccine. I've had all three vacs of Moderna and each shots reactions progressively got worse.

04/15/21 - 1st shot I had really sore arm, fatigue, achy joints. 

05/12/21 - 2nd shot I had all of the first shots reactions plus fever. These lasted 2 days

11/15/21- booster. OMfreakingG! I thought I was going to die. It took 15 hours for the reactions to start. This time I got upset stomach, throwing up and diarrhea, fever, joint pain, fatigue and a huge cold sore to top it all off. It also lasted 3 days. I also ended up dehydrated and lost 5lbs. 

There will never be another covid shot put into my body again. 3 is enough and this last go around was horrible. I just can't. LOL 

Good luck everyone

25 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

I don't think I have ever seen a cold sore listed as a side effect of the vaccine. Just sayin...

No, but I get them when I'm under stress and being that sick will do it me. Yeah so maybe the cold sore wasn't actually from the booster but I got one due to how I felt.