3 in a Room, but complementary specialty dinners for 2

tooncestdc

So, we have 4 free specialty dinners for 2. 2 of them are the promotion. 2 of them are from my platinum status. Only problem is that we have 3 adults. My question is:

What options will NCL generally let you do?
1) If I use both a promotional dinner and a platinum status dinner coupon at the same time, will that cover all 3 of us?

2) If 3 of us go to dinner, 2 order off of the menu and 1 of us gets nothing (or something small) at an ala carte place and shares with the rest of the group, do they allow that?

Technically NONE of the meals are transferable.   The platinum is for the platinum passenger +1.  The FAS meals are for the fist two in the cabin and cannot be for anyone else.  To get all three free, Use the platinum for you and the guest who does not have any freebie meals, and the FAS meal for the other guest.  You will have a FAS meal left for the first two guests.

We have a similar situation whenever we cruise as my wife and I are P+, and we sail with our son who has no status. In practice we usually but a package for our son and use all our free ones ourselves, but we have moved the platinum meals around on occasions as suggested above.

The solution suggested above does work, as the platinum voucher is a bit flexible in that both people who use it don’t have to be platinum.

The only problem you may have is that, if I’m reading it right you are the only platinum in the party. If we were to do as suggested then for one of the platinum meals we would use it for me and my son and my wife would use a dining credit and the second would be my wife and my son with me using a credit.

If you are the only platinum then you would need them to accept the platinum voucher for the other two people and if I am correct in thinking that the others aren’t platinum then it is possible that you could run into problems.

I’ve always found the wait staff to be quite flexible in situations like this, but just be aware that they may insist on including you in both platinum meals, which would mean that after the two meals you have two credits left and the others none.

4 hours ago, tooncestdc said:

So, we have 4 free specialty dinners for 2. 2 of them are the promotion. 2 of them are from my platinum status. Only problem is that we have 3 adults. My question is:

What options will NCL generally let you do?
1) If I use both a promotional dinner and a platinum status dinner coupon at the same time, will that cover all 3 of us?

2) If 3 of us go to dinner, 2 order off of the menu and 1 of us gets nothing (or something small) at an ala carte place and shares with the rest of the group, do they allow that?

I'm Platinum and traveling with 2 friends in a separate room.  I get the 2 comp meals (each with a +1,) plus 2 as part of the FAS promotion.  I've bought 3 additional dinners because we want to do 7 specialty meals.

I instructed my friends to buy 4 additional dinners.  We all have 2 FAS meals and I'll alternate both of them on my +1 Platinum meals.  If we only did 4 specialty meals, one of them would have needed to buy a 2 dinner package or they could each have paid for one ala carte which would be more costly, assuming they wanted a full course meal.

Your situation is different because you're all in the same room.  You have 4 meals, person 2 has 4 (2 FAS and as your Platinum +1.) Person 3 doesn't get FAS and you're presumably the only person with Platinum status, so you can only "comp" the one person for each meal. 

I'd just buy a 4 dinner package for Person 3.  I know, that's $136.80.  But you're on vacation.  Do you really want person 3 sitting there with an ala carte salad then have to run to the buffet after?

Edited by phillygwm
  • Like 2

This is a fairly common issue.  Think of it as the glass half full.  You have 6 "free" meals for 2/3 of your cabin.  The third wheel can pay ala carte.  There is savings for only one person paying for 3 meals compared to paying for all 9 meals.  BTW, paying ala carte does not mean the person starves or does not eat well.  You can eat well at a specialty restaurant for $30.  If this frustrates you, add up what it would cost without the dining perk and platinum offer.  That should put a smile on your face 😁

Edited by david_sobe

Simply stated, the third person will need to purchase a 4-Night Meal Package.  I am in a similar situation however I have a total of four guest (Including my self).  The other two guest purchased the 4-Night Package.  

Enjoy your cruise and cruise well.

• Like 1

If you are inferring that the two of you order "more than you intend to eat" and move some of it to the third person's plate I think that you MAY be in trouble if that is noticed

• Like 1

On a slightly different note, I wonder why NCL would not offer free specialty dining to the 3rd and 4th person. The beverage package was included free (except for the gratuity).
I’m Platinum+.  I’ll just be creative using the Platinum dinners with our 3rd person.  I also have an unused dining certificate from a prior cruise, so that’s 6 free meals. 

49 minutes ago, chingnael said:

On a slightly different note, I wonder why NCL would not offer free specialty dining to the 3rd and 4th person. The beverage package was included free (except for the gratuity).
I’m Platinum+.  I’ll just be creative using the Platinum dinners with our 3rd person.  I also have an unused dining certificate from a prior cruise, so that’s 6 free meals. 

It makes sense to me that they throw in the drink package for person 3 in that they automatically charge the 3rd guest $138 in gratuities for drinks on a 7-day cruise, and let's be honest, if they were not included, that 3rd guest is still drinking free one way or another.

As for the unused dining certificates for Platitum+, they will accept them on future cruises? I assumed the tickets were mostly for show and that the certificates are in their computer.

@Sthrngary & @phillygwmare both correct.

Simply, you and 2 other people sharing a cabin ....

1)  You as Platinum + .... 2 platinum dinners (for 2) plus 2 promo dinners = 4 dinners.

2)   Guest #2 .... 2 platinum dinners courtesy of 1) plus 2 promo dinners = 4 dinners.

3)   Guest #3 .... zero dinners, therefore will need to buy a 4-dinner package.

NOTE:  The Platinum dinner is ONE starter, ONE entree and ONE dessert, no exceptions. If you want extra starter/entree/dessert you'll be charged these a la carte.

The promo dinner is multiple starters/desserts but ONE entree.

Remember, as other poster stated, all dinners (Plat +, promo, package) are non-transferrable, and this means Guest #3 will need to stick to the 4 dinner package.

Another thing, the minimum number of dinners you can buy in a package is 3.

Edited by bluesea777

4 minutes ago, tooncestdc said:

As for the unused dining certificates for Platitum+, they will accept them on future cruises? I assumed the tickets were mostly for show and that the certificates are in their computer.

No, the unused Plat + dining certificates are not transferrable to future cruises. It's use them or lose.

5 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

@Sthrngary is correct.

Simply, you and 2 other people sharing a cabin ....

1)  You as Platinum + .... 2 platinum dinners (for 2) plus 2 promo dinners = 4 dinners.

2)   Guest #2 .... 2 platinum dinners courtesy of 1) plus 2 promo dinners = 4 dinners.

3)   Guest #3 .... zero dinners, therefore will need to buy a 4-dinner package.

Remember, as other poster stated, all dinners (Plat +, promo, package) are non-transferrable, and this means Guest #3 will need to stick to the 4 dinner package.

So, I've seen both on this thread. Is there reason to believe that the Platinum+ dinner guest has to be Guest #2 instead of Guest #3?

2 minutes ago, tooncestdc said:

So, I've seen both on this thread. Is there reason to believe that the Platinum+ dinner guest has to be Guest #2 instead of Guest #3?

Because Guest #2 has 2 promo dinners, but Guest #3 has none.

If Plat+ dinner guest is #3, then you'll enjoy 4 dinners, and your other 2 guests will have 2 dinners each. 

The minimum number of dinners you can buy a package is 3. Your guests cannot buy 2 dinners packages.

3 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

If Plat+ dinner guest is #3, then you'll enjoy 4 dinners, and your other 2 guests will have 2 dinners each. 

Right. One possibility I am considering is using both simultaneously, so that all 3 of us enjoy 2 specialty dinners together, I lose off the other 2 "free" dinners and we go to the main dining room for other meals and don't pay any extra, if that is an option that NCL allows.

11 minutes ago, tooncestdc said:

That was my plan. Bring Guest 3 as Platinum+ dinner guest.  Guest 2 uses her SDP. 
Then, use Guest 1 SDP at Food Republic where we can share plates. 

25 minutes ago, chingnael said:

That was my plan. Bring Guest 3 as Platinum+ dinner guest.  Guest 2 uses her SDP. 
Then, use Guest 1 SDP at Food Republic where we can share plates. 

Breakaway doesn't have Food Republic.

Funny, we have used our promo dinners in Food Republic .... (on other ships) .... one lunch we used one (mine) and then returned for another lunch and used DH's. It was in the TA crossing with many sea days so the FR was open on some days. We wanted "light lunch" and were allowed to use one - for 4 items.

17 hours ago, bluesea777 said:

Because Guest #2 has 2 promo dinners, but Guest #3 has none.

The minimum number of dinners you can buy a package is 3. Your guests cannot buy 2 dinners packages.

https://www.ncl.com/onboard-packages/dining-packages

7 hours ago, phillygwm said:

Actually, you could buy 2.  The cost is $94.80.

7 hours ago, ColeThornton said:

Thank you!! Didn't realize it's been changed to include 2 dinners. It had always been the minimum of 3, and I guess it got changed when NCL reduced the promo dinners from 3 to 2 for 7 days cruises.

31 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Thank you!! Didn't realize it's been changed to include 2 dinners. It had always been the minimum of 3, and I guess it got changed when NCL reduced the promo dinners from 3 to 2 for 7 days cruises.

It has been possible to buy a 2 meal package for a few years, but it isn’t always offered, which is why you may not have seen it before.

45 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

It has been possible to buy a 2 meal package for a few years, but it isn’t always offered, which is why you may not have seen it before.

True ... maybe we've been booking long cruises, so never saw the 2 meal packages.

OTOH, how are you? We've been good. I'm so aghast to hear about the vaccination situation over there in the UK - so incomprehensive to us - and I'm so sorry your son is still unable to cruise with you on NCL. We have been boostered now.

On 11/20/2021 at 2:02 PM, bluesea777 said:

No, the unused Plat + dining certificates are not transferrable to future cruises. It's use them or lose.

We had one P+ dining coupon left over from a cruise a couple of years ago.  It did not have a date, ship name, or cabin number printed on it, so we kept it and were able to use it on another cruise a few months later.  In between those two cruises we were on a different NCL ship where the P+ coupons had the ship name and our stateroom number listed.  We couldn't use our extra coupon there, so we saved it for later.  NCL may be following more stringent protocols now, so you may not be able to do this now.

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

True ... maybe we've been booking long cruises, so never saw the 2 meal packages.

OTOH, how are you? We've been good. I'm so aghast to hear about the vaccination situation over there in the UK - so incomprehensive to us - and I'm so sorry your son is still unable to cruise with you on NCL. We have been boostered now.

We're good thanks.

The vaccine situation looks like it's sorted for us now. It was announced last week that they are giving 2nd jabs to 16+, so he will be done sometime this year and will be good to go for Easter. 🙂

Our boosters are booked for a few weeks time (when we get to 6 months since second jabs.

• Like 1