Do we need Covid test upon return from Mexican cruise, prior to flight?

DaveOKC

The OP doesn't say where the flight to Oklahoma is flying from, but at NO TIME has there ever been a requirement to be tested for a domestic flight in the US, except for Hawaii, which today is waived for vaccinated people.

The question would be if a test is required to RE-ENTER the US from a cruise. To FLY into the US, a negative test is required. Is a negative test for a cruise re-entering the US  required? That is the real question.

It appears the answer is no test is required to re-enter the US on a cruise.

25 minutes ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I really wish people wouldn’t say things that aren’t true.  Not talking about the op.  Had someone on cruise critic say that they don’t have pcr testing on ships and in addition it takes several days.  Posts like that just make some people anxious for no good reason.

Thanks, I agree.  I just wanted to reassure my relative today at Thanksgiving dinner that what she heard was false and not to worry about it.  This is what I so like about CC - you usually get accurate information based on recent experiences, plus if someone does state something that is not true (even I have accidently done this) others will quickly post and correct them!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Florida_gal_50 said:

I really wish people wouldn’t say things that aren’t true.  Not talking about the op.  Had someone on cruise critic say that they don’t have pcr testing on ships and in addition it takes several days.  Posts like that just make some people anxious for no good reason.

====

still misquoting.  I said "inclined to think" based on what I saw.   That was not a definite statement...  Let it go.

Edited by SFO PETER

15 hours ago, DaveOKC said:

My relative is taking a cruise with several Mexican ports next month and someone told her that you need to have a Covid test prior to flying out after the cruise (back to Oklahoma).  Is this true?

We are flying to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday but not going on a cruise.  We do not need a covid test to enter Mexico but have to have a form completed 12 hours before entering that will have a QR code needed to entering Mexico.  Probably will ask similar questions like the PLF we filled out for Italy and Greece in September.  Before flying home, we need a negative covid test and also need to refile the passenger form that we will do before we leave.  Our resort is offering a rapid test so we don't have to go looking for one elsewhere.

If your relative is flying back to Oklahoma from Mexico, I would think they need a covid test to enter the US.

The cruise line should be able to help with that information.

3 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

====

still misquoting.  I said "inclined to think" based on what I saw.   That was not a definite statement...  Let it go.

I'm not going to let it go.  I know it's not important to you because it doesn't affect you in any way.  No one on this thread is asking if bacon is served on the buffet, or if they eggs are real eggs.  That would be an opinion answer.  If a covid test is available through the cruise line is not an opinion question for Canadians.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

things can change.

Here are two posts from CCers.  One saying PCR test was done Port Side after Customs for Nieuw Amsterdam.   The other was done on the Koningsdam

PCRTests

I don't think anyone is under the opinion that all these PCR tests are done on board.  Some are done shore side, even on the same ship.  That seems to happen more on in the Fort Lauderdale area.  Didn't you say that PCR tests results couldn't be produced in one day.  Seems to me you said several days as there is no lab on board.  This is not true.  They did my test at 9am.  She delivered my results just before 5.  She had told me that she was going to go over them with a fine tooth comb so there was a little delay.  I read a post where some Canadians had their test at 8 and had results by noon.  This is fact, not opinion nor a feeling.

18 minutes ago, highland cruiser said:

We are flying to Puerto Vallarta on Saturday but not going on a cruise.  We do not need a covid test to enter Mexico but have to have a form completed 12 hours before entering that will have a QR code needed to entering Mexico.  Probably will ask similar questions like the PLF we filled out for Italy and Greece in September.  Before flying home, we need a negative covid test and also need to refile the passenger form that we will do before we leave.  Our resort is offering a rapid test so we don't have to go looking for one elsewhere.

If your relative is flying back to Oklahoma from Mexico, I would think they need a covid test to enter the US.

The cruise line should be able to help with that information.

The OP was asking about a cruise.  A land vacation would be much different.  Poster # 2 Zgscl just came back from a Mexico cruise and is an American so the information he gave was 100% on the mark.  Call the cruise line and talk to 5 people and you are likely to get 5 answers.

I'll add just one thing to the mix.  We were on the cruise with Zsgcl, and we stayed on to do the next cruise.  Those doing b2b cruises, at least, MR on Koningsdam, had to have a covid test before we docked in San Diego. 

The ship performed the test at no cost to us Saturday morning.  It was quick and easy.  We were asked to return to our cabin and wait 15 minutes.  If they did not call us, we were free to go about our day.  We had a written report of the negative results in the cabin that evening.

Since the ships have resumed sailing, others have reported the same procedure on their b2b cruises.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SFO PETER said:

to Florida_gal.  Obviously things have changed since these posts...

Response

That's not the post I'm referring to.  You were mentioning about being tested at a university and how it took a few days.  That was you wasn't it? Even so you thinking they don't have it is irrelevant.  Hal says they will.  I would not comment on what American people need or how it would work unless I know for sure.  Even then.

Just to clarify, I am the OP and was asking about requiring a Covid test for travel after returning from a Mexico cruise, San Diego to San Diego.  Then flying home to Oklahoma.  Sorry for the confusion.  

From the answers so far, I understand that no Covid test will be required in this example situation.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SFO PETER said:

things can change.

Here are two posts from CCers.  One saying PCR test was done Port Side after Customs for Nieuw Amsterdam.   The other was done on the Koningsdam

PCRTests

Both posts quoted above are from Canadians. They DO need COVID tests to fly home from the US. That's why their cruise offered the tests. At this time, I don't think US passengers need a COVID test to fly home, just proof of vaccination, although I'm not 100% sure of that if Mexico is involved. We did not need a post cruise test in August after an Alaska cruise, but of course that is part of the US.

1 hour ago, DaveOKC said:

Just to clarify, I am the OP and was asking about requiring a Covid test for travel after returning from a Mexico cruise, San Diego to San Diego.  Then flying home to Oklahoma.  Sorry for the confusion.  

From the answers so far, I understand that no Covid test will be required in this example situation.

I think it was quite clear.  Not to worry.